Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 328: "Disney Genie" digital offering announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What is this, Joisey?

Re: Magic Kingdom Fantasyland Expansion

Postby Swimace » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:34 am

Scott45 wrote:I understand what they're doing to Fantasyland, just peeved that they find the money to redo a whole section of the park when they wouldn't fix up 2 of the best rides in DW.

It's not that they don't have the money to fix up Space Mountain (and I'm not sure what more you wanted with Pirates).... it's that they're not willing to risk the loss in revenue from having Space or Pirates closed, because MK's attendance is more dependent on foreign or out-of-state tourists than Disneyland (which can afford to close certain attractions for longer periods of time without seeing the same effect on their attendance and hotel revenues).

Norway Smells Like Farts

Postby vekoma_fan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:12 am

SharkTums wrote:
Scott45 wrote:Granted, I need to go to Paris to ride the best version of Space Mountain even if it is a Jules Verne steampunk version. Anyway I'll shut up about it now.

Well that statement pretty much confirms you know nothing. Space Mountain at DLP is a piece of crap that tries to destroy your skull on multiple occasions.

Its funny because it's true :lmao:
I would say that the one in WDW is way better then the one in DLP, especially after the refurb. :lover:

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:12 am

SharkTums wrote:Well that statement pretty much confirms you know nothing. Space Mountain at DLP is a piece of crap that tries to destroy your skull on multiple occasions.

Perhaps the skull crushing has influenced his thinking.

And Adam, like Scott, I hated Magic Journeys as a kid. Scariest thing ever. Then again, I hate clowns.

(22:06:18) ajc47: who are the obnoxious ones? (22:07:16) tatertot3710: Mr. Starr, jeremie, deathbydinn

Lap Bars added to Magic Kingdom's Splash Mountain

Postby tatertot3710 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:34 am

From Screamscape:

Park News - (1/22/11) If you subscribe to the official Screamscape Twitter, you already know this (and if not... what’s a matter with you?). The rumors are 100% true... Splash Mountain is currently adding a large single lap bar to each and every row on the logs. As outraged as I am about the very concept of this, unfortunately we as guests, have only ourselves to blame. Apparently there are a large number of morons out there who think it’s funny / cool / xtreme to either stand-up during portions of the ride, combined with an equal number of stupid tourists who think that at the first time of a ride stoppage, they are free to jump out of the log and go wandering about inside the mountain. Then the real fun begins as CMs are sent out to search every nook and cranny inside the gigantic structure for these lost guests before they can turn the ride back on. (So maybe we should all agree, as a theme park loving community, that if we’ve in a park and see someone doing something stupid... say something and stop them.)

Adding insult to injury, this will cut down on the capacity of the ride as well in two ways. Previous policy allowed for groups of three that could fit (3 kids, 2 adult & 1 small child) to sit in one row, for a maximum of 12 riders per log. Now I know this didn’t happen all the time, but with the new lap bars two riders per row is all that will be allowed. Secondly, the ride’s capacity will be cut again as the dispatch time between logs has been raised from 12.5 seconds to an estimated 15-20 seconds per log to allow for increased loading time to deal with guests loading more slowly due to the lap bars and time for the ride crew to give each bar a quick tug.

Now for the good news... the lap bars are nothing like what Universal put on Ripsaw Falls. Instead they are very similar in style to what is used on Big Thunder Mountain. I’ve also been sent a pictures showing off the new restraints. Thanks to everyone who responded about this... I must have had between 20-25 different people contact me today to confirm this unfortunate news.

http://screamscape.com/html/wdw_-_magic_kingdom.htm
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:40 am.
Last Credit: Stinger (Dorney Park, 4/28) -- Bringing coaster count to 83

Site Admin

Re: Lap Bars added to Magic Kingdom's Splash Mountain

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:39 am

Damn, so I guess that means we can't do this anymore....

:lol: :lmao: :lol:
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:10 am.

Postby Wes » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:43 am

As outraged as I am about the very concept of this

Most trivial thing to be outraged about ever.
Last edited by Wes on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:43 am.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:08 am

Secondly, the ride’s capacity will be cut again as the dispatch time between logs has been raised from 12.5 seconds to an estimated 15-20 seconds per log to allow for increased loading time to deal with guests loading more slowly due to the lap bars and time for the ride crew to give each bar a quick tug.

And at worst case scenario, doesn't that still add up to more than 2,000 PPH? Six Flags would be having a good day if their rides do 1/2 that capacity!!!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Coaster Cow » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:51 am

I'm very fine with this. Chances are, if anyone has a reason to complain, its probably because they were doing the exact things that Disney is trying to stop. Just sayin'.
"There''s a Lieutenant Crunch here to see you."
"Lieutenant Crunch?"
"Actually, I've been promoted. It''s Captain Crunch now."

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:53 am

At least the side-by-side seating makes it easier to accommodate lapbars, unlike what Universal did to Ripsaw Falls with its inline seating.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby eltoro96 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:21 am

Eh, I don't mind this. Unless they are huge (which I highly doubt), they will have no real affect on the ride besides loading, which will still be amazing. It's disney!
[/size][/color]
1 Bizarro (New England) 2 Stormrunner 3 Skyrush 4 El Toro 5 Montu 6 Maverick 7 Nitro 8 Phoenix 9 Deja Vu 10 Millenium Force
Last park: Hershey Park 8/12
Next park: Cedar Point 10/12

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!