Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Postby beatle11 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:24 pm

larrygator wrote:Wording in this article gives the impression that Luna Park and Scream Zone will be run as two separate entities, although I personally hold out hope that a a combo Pay One Price deal will be offered.

RCDB has Scream Zone listed as a separate park as well. I'll definitely have to begin my Road to CP trip early and visit the area. I know concept art can change, but it looks really good.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:44 pm

http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/top_stories/132600/ny1-exclusive--luna-park-developer-takes-over-cyclone-operations

Thrill seekers have been coming to ride the Cyclone for decades. Now as the landmark coaster gets ready to mark its 80th anniversary this year, it'll have a new operator – Zamperla, the same Italian ride manufacturing company and developer of Coney Island's Luna Park, which sits across the street.

"For us, the Cyclone is the coaster. People know this coaster around the world,” said Zamperla president Valerio Ferrari. “Many coasters have been named after this particular one."

In November, Carol Albert, whose family has been operating the Cyclone for last 37 years, told NY1 the wooden coaster was too costly to run and wanted out of the licensing agreement she had with the city. Now she's out and Zamperla says its been given control for a year until the city goes through a formal bidding process for the site.

Zamperla says it plans to make several hundred-thousand dollars in repairs and improvements.

"We're walking into something that we don't know how much it's going to cost," Ferrari said. “We know the ride requires some repair, but once we will do these tests, we will figure it out."

As the logistics for the Cyclone are figured out, Zamperla will also be busy erecting a modern, extreme coaster at a lot on Stillwell Avenue, the site of the new amusement park Scream Zone. Steel tracks have been delivered and next week they'll be erected.

NY1 has also obtained video of the other three rides coming to the park. There's Turbo Force, which spins in full circles 132 feet in the air. There's the Human Sling Shot that catapults brave riders almost 200 feet in the air. And there's the Steeplechase coaster, a throwback to Coney Island's heyday.

"Steeplechase was a beautiful coaster right on the same site we're going to put the new one in,” Ferrari said. “Ours will be a steel coaster. The original was a wooden one, but the horses are going to be beautiful like the original one."

Coney Island's opening weekend is Palm Sunday, April 16th. All the rides, both old and new, are expected to be up and running.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby beatle11 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:59 pm

If they spend the money fixing this up, and they make this ride part of a combo ticket, it could work out well.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Am I missing something about Cyclone's 80th anniversary? Wasn't that in 2007?

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Hayzle » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:13 pm

I know the Cyclone is a classic and many say it should not be touched, but I would love to see Zamperla bring GCI on board to re-track this coaster and give it a set of millenium flyers. The trains are retro themed and hey a kid can dream can't he? ;)
I conquered the lazer snake dive loop of flaming death

Postby beatle11 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:03 pm

^Millenium Flyers, or any modern coaster trains, would take the classic feel away. I could see someone coming in to re-track the ride though.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Hayzle wrote:I know the Cyclone is a classic and many say it should not be touched, but I would love to see Zamperla bring GCI on board to re-track this coaster and give it a set of millenium flyers. The trains are retro themed and hey a kid can dream can't he? ;)

Millennium Flyers are for GCI designed coasters only! So says GCI. No further discussion needed there.

So based on the article Adam posted and the artist rendering I found yesterday it appears that Turbo Force is slated instead of the original idea of a double level go-kart track.
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:27 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby downunder » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:08 pm

The evil geniuses behind the Volare running the Coney Island Cyclone? They might not think Cyclone is painful enough already.

On the Cyclone trains, I like them, they seem really well padded which is very helpful, and they are classic. I don't know if it's the track that makes it such a rough ride, in 2008 the train seemed to be bouncing on the track like bang, bang, bang - rather than the classic jackhammering that wood lovers crave.

I say Zamperla add as many credits as possible, I'm going to need them this July/Aug if I want to make 500.

Postby cal1br3tto » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm relieved the Cyclone is predicted to open on time. Can't wait to get to Coney!
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby PSiRockin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:08 pm

"Our Millennium Flyer trains may be available for existing wooden roller coasters that meet Great Coasters' strict standards for track and structure condition, as well as acceptable dynamic profiles. We are available to assess these conditions and help you with any necessary improvements that may be required in order to make your coaster fly."

Although they would never ever happen for the Cyclone, MF trains ( :lover: ) can go on other coasters according to GCI's website.
PsiRockin'
Earthbound - SNES

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!