Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:47 pm

You never saw the Shoot The Freak "business", did you? It was an eyesore that needed to go; I'm surprised the fire department never shut it down as a fire hazard.
12938194595089[1].jpg
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:04 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:20 am

^I'm sure that could be a nice amusement park attraction...after a nuclear war hits.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:31 am

It definitely looks like an eyesore, but I still think Zamperla went about it the wrong way. The case was still in court. They would have had their say in it. Now it just looks really bad on them.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby CardCraze » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:48 pm

I have seen the business/alley.

I'm not saying it was nice to look at, or a success, but Zamperla totally handled this the wrong way.
Parks Visited in 2015: None so far!

Postby larrygator » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:23 pm

That's how things are done in Brooklyn! Zamperla sure is getting the hang of this. :lmao:

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby samisthabomb » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:38 am

larrygator wrote:That's how things are done in Brooklyn! Zamperla sure is getting the hang of this. :lmao:

:lol:

Zamperla may be handling this the wrong way, but I agree with Larrygator. That place was an eyesore. Sure, it was a Coney Island staple, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be very hard to find another vacant lot and "rebuild" there. Anyways, I'm all for Zamperla's Coney Island project, but they need to cooperate with local businesses, not destroy them. If Zamperla wants Coney Island to become nice again, how about they build those businesses fancy-shmancy, new buildings? Probably not going to happen. At least they didn't try to swing a wrecking ball towards Nathan's :p
"The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bulls#%t story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it" - Jordan Belfort

Peace ~ Love ~ Roller Coasters

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby CardCraze » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:13 am

^I'm fairly certain if they tried to destroy Nathan's, a milita would have started up to storm the site and put a stop to it.
Parks Visited in 2015: None so far!

Postby larrygator » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:26 am

Zamperla was given control to decide which existing business in the amusement zone fit into their vision of the new Coney Island. That included Nathan's having to fill out the proper paperwork. Yes, it was possible that Zamperla could have said no to Nathan's but there would have been a much larger uproar, than with the smaller vendors.

On a typical summer night, there is a line at Nathan's right up until the 1-2AM closing time. Nathan's draws people into the area and Zamperla knows the value of having Nathan's bring in foot traffic.

Postby larrygator » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:45 am

The newest coasters at Scream Zone will be named Steeplechase Coaster (Zamperla MotoCoaster) and Soaring Eagle (Zamperla Volare). Wording in this article gives the impression that Luna Park and Scream Zone will be run as two separate entities, although I personally hold out hope that a a combo Pay One Price deal will be offered. Funny that the reporter mentions these as the first new coasters since 1927 (probably ignoring kiddie coasters), but forgot that Tickler was built last year.

Names for Scream Zone coasters revealed

Beach weather is still several months away, but Coney Island is already preparing for the addition of its newest amusement park, to be called Scream Zone.

Scream Zone will open in April and include two roller coasters to be named Steeplechase Coaster and Soaring Eagle. They will be the first new coasters in Coney Island since the Cyclone opened in 1927.

"I can't wait for it," said Dick Zigun, who runs the Coney Island Museum and the Mermaid Parade. "It marks the real change from the old Coney Island to the new Coney Island."

Coney Island's developer Central Amusement International is opening a new amusement park this coming April, but the company has recently come under fire for evicting long-time Coney Island businesses like Shoot the Freak. WSJ's Joseph De Avila reports.

Construction on the Scream Zone, located along the boardwalk between West 12th and 15th streets, will begin next week by Central Amusement International, a unit of ride maker and amusement-park operator Antonio Zamperla SpA of Italy.

The company has a 10-year lease with the city to operate Scream Zone and another amusement park, Luna Park, which opened last year on the former grounds of the Astroland amusement area.

The success of Luna Park, which drew 450,000 visitors in 2010, has been credited with helping Coney Island achieve its best attendance numbers in years.

While Luna Park offers family-friendly rides for young kids, Scream Zone intends "to push the envelope of the roller coaster experience in Coney Island," said Valerio Ferrari, president of Central Amusement International.

The amusement-park operator is investing $12 million on the three-acre Scream Zone site, which is now vacant after being cleared of batting cages and a mini-golf course. Overall plans for the new park were announced by Mayor Michael Bloomberg last year, but details about Scream Zone weren't previously available.

Central Amusement International's plans for a new Coney Island have drawn criticism in the past. In November, the company evicted many longtime tenants—including Shoot the Freak and Ruby's Bar and Grill—to make room for new vendors. Some of the businesses are fighting the evictions; a court hearing is scheduled for Feb. 16.

"We're told that there's a new 'vision' for Coney Island, but that vision was never shared with us," said Linda Cronin-Gross, a spokeswoman for the group. "We will continue to fight to stay where we belong—right here on the Coney Island boardwalk."

Mr. Ferrari declined to elaborate on his company's plans for the boardwalk because of the court fight.

"The fact is that the boardwalk is going to be revitalized and revamped," said Tom Corsillo, a spokesman with Central Amusement International. "It's going to be a great experience."

City Council member Domenic Recchia, whose district includes Coney Island, credited Central Amusement International for bringing jobs to the neighborhood and for attempting to create a year-round destination at Coney Island.

"They are looking for new ideas," Mr. Recchia said. "You can't have all the same thing."
Scream_Zone_Coaster.jpg
Artist's rendition from skycraperpage.com
Last edited by larrygator on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:01 am.

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:35 am

Have they given any time frame as to when Scream Zone will actually open?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!