TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ferrari World Discussion Thread

Sorry I haven't really been following this too much, is the park 'officially' open now? I remember it's opening got pushed back, but then it seems like it just opened without a big event? Is everything up and running, any reviews on the other coasters?

Sorry I haven't really been following this too much, is the park 'officially' open now? I remember it's opening got pushed back, but then it seems like it just opened without a big event? Is everything up and running, any reviews on the other coasters?

It opened a week late. dubaidave is going to do a PTR of the rest of the park when he has some down time.

Does anyone ever think that they might adjust the # of trims sometime in the future? I rreally just want to know what this ride would've been like without the trims (full speed).

Edit: A video on the racing coasters

(includes a partial POV)

Edited by TXman308

I really just want to know what this ride would've been like without the trims (full speed).

No, you probably don't.

Let's put this in perspective, folks (or at least try to....for what it's worth). The thing launches 0-149 mph into a 170' hill. KK launches 0-128 into a 456' hill, with barely enough energy to crest the tophat. Can we really just stop and THINK about that for a moment. The trims on Formula Rossa DON'T kill the ride. They are simply there to make the first hill manageable so that your head does not explode as you reach the apex.

C'mon people. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to math and physics, but this is common sense stuff we're dealing with here.

^I agree that the trims don't completely kill the ride (in fact, they add some braking force to the ride), and that they keep the ride from being overly intense, but wouldn't you at least like to know what this thing is like going all out? Maybe you're not a big Intamin Rocket coaster fanboy like I am, but I personally think that the speed of this thing should be kept for a little bit longer before just being taken away by trims.

but wouldn't you at least like to know what this thing is like going all out?

Into that hill? No.

I enjoy living too much.

EDIT: Would I loved to have seen a launch like that with no hills, and a close-to-the-ground course with just turns? Yes.

Scott "and I actually do LOVE rocket launches" B.

Personally, I would love to give it a go without the trims. You can call me crazy but I still highly doubt that the g forces experienced would be nearly as powerful or sustained for as long as those an aerobatic pilot experiences during a routine. I'm not saying that I don't understand their reasoning for trimming it. There would put much more stress placed on the structure and much more wear and tear (expenses) due to that. Not to mention, it could even prove painful for riders during all of the elements and no doubt stir up the average park guest. And let's face it, a full racing harness would be required to ride it without bruising your thighs. However, just like aerobatics, that bit of strain placed on your body would be the price to pay for such an incredible experience. A price that I would gladly pay, although I can't guarantee I would line up for a second ride.

^I still don't think you'd come out without being severly injured. Fighter pilots where special suits and have special harnesses. With a lapbar and belt like that there's a good chance you could have some severe injuries!

You'd also have to be taught how to breathe properly and grunt in order to keep the blood in the correct parts of your body....

170ft hill at 150mph.......no thank you!!!!!

150mph into those turns....no thanks!!!!

Think how many people have been greying out on Intimidator 305 at about 90mph.....then add another 60mph on top, it wouldn't be the wisest idea!

^I still don't think you'd come out without being severly injured. Fighter pilots where special suits and have special harnesses. With a lapbar and belt like that there's a good chance you could have some severe injuries!

Given just a lap bar or even an OTSH, I understand that your thighs would nearly bleed and your body would probably suffer from whiplash in all directions. Come to think of it, a 4 point harness would have to be a minimum requirement for anybody riding and that's nearly impossible to implement on an attraction due to capacity, cost, complexity, adjustments per rider, etc. However the g tolerances would probably still be well within limits of a human who wants to or has had previous experience enduring such forces. Not to mention, G suits are nice but there are many pilots out there such as the Blue Angel naval demonstration team who perform without them. I am in no way saying it would be the most practical idea out there, I'm just saying I would give it a go. But after thinking about it, I wouldn't touch it without some sort of proper harness installed. After all, -2G's would feel like 320+ pounds forcing my thighs into a lap bar. Once again, this will never happen so dreaming will have to suffice.

Also, the turns would hurt but the extreme aerodynamic drag created at 150 mph. would probably cause the train to lose half of that speed much more quickly than other coasters. That doesn't mean the first turn wouldn't be a bruiser.

I didn't think about the ride's stopping ability. Perhaps that would cause an issue or two. Well, since it's attempting to recreate a Formula One experience, why not have it stop like one too? I have heard that the real cars do 124 mph. to zero in 1.9 seconds! The real drivers experience the stopping power around a thousand times each race so we know somebody could handle it. Why stop there, replace the goggles with full face helmets and give riders racing suits! And yes, I understand the stupidity of subjecting the average Joe to that so please don't take any of this seriously.

^Same here, I didn't think about it too much either. If you look at the length of the brake run and imagine the train going into it at 120+ MPH (assuming the drag slowed it down that much), it certainly wouldn't have enough room to come to a complete stop. If the ride entered the brake run at a *SLIGHTLY* higher speed it would probably be able to stop, but looking at it now I guess the whole final bunny hop would have to be removed to install enough brakes to slow it down.

Now that I consider the points brought up, I understand the ride can't quite go full speed ahead into the 1st hill. But I still think a few trims could be removed; just enough to give the ride a faster pace.

Something I just realized about this coaster...weight would actually make a huge difference in the speed of the ride. Not because of the launch, but because of the brakes. With magnetic brakes, it naturally takes a longer amount of time to stop a loaded train, but the launch is always consistent. No matter the weight in the train, Intamin rockets always launch the train at a consistent speed. So in FR's case, it always gets to 150mph, but doesn't always slow down to 90mph (or however fast it is going over the first hill). A fully loaded train could create quite a variance in speed from an empty one, changing the way videos would appear to portray the ride. Just a thought...

• 1 month later...

Wow, less than 3 months after opening, the owners of Ferrari World need to sell the park to the government due to debt.

Ferrari World to be sold

Aldar to sell Ferrari World to pay down debts

Aldar Properties is to sell Ferrari World, its car-themed amusement park, to the government less than three months after it opened as it seeks to pay down its debts.

The commercial and residential property firm is to sell the theme park on Yas Island as well as the related roads, bridges and marine infrastructure for around AED 10.9 billion, along with around AED 5.5 billion in residential units. Mubadala Development Company, a state-owned investment company, will buy an AED 2.8 billion convertible bond from the company, according to the statement, originally highlighted last week.

The size of Aldar’s debts has become a growing issue for creditors and equity holders on the back of a fall in property values in the UAE capital and elsewhere. A report by Bank of America Merrill Lynch said the company would need around AED 10 billion just to “survive” the year.

Abu Dhabi’s biggest developer posted its biggest net loss for one quarter between July and September of AED 731.2 million against a net profit of just over AED270 million for the same period last year. The losses are part of an AED1.52 billion loss for the first nine months of 2010, against an AED1.4 billion gain last year. Nine month revenue fell 45% to AED932.4 million from the AED1.412 billion in 2009.

The company decided the measures in a board meeting last Thursday.

“The measures are focused on addressing current market conditions and on boosting the company’s capital structure,” said a statement to the Abu Dhabi stock exchange.

Ahmed Al Sayegh, chairman of Aldar, said: “The financial framework approved by the board today, including the convertible bond issue, will strengthen our capital structure and provide us with a stable and sustainable platform from which we can continue to capture commercial opportunities to deliver value to shareholders.

“The impairment recognition reflects the adverse conditions that have affected the real estate market, but is an important step in allowing Aldar to achieve long-term sustainable growth.”

The company added that the sale was in line with the usual policy of transferring strategic assets to the government upon completion of construction. The company's shares fell 3% opn Thursday to close at AED 2.27 per share.

Edited by ernierocker