Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Re: Shane's Amusement Attic

Postby RoCo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:32 pm

montezooma wrote:and while I was looking through my files to pull up info on the Flight Trainer, I came across this old gem. This was my winning entry to one of TPR's Photoshop Contest. As I read over it again I still found myself chuckling...great comedy never gets old!

Holy crap, that is PRICELESS! :lmao: "Flight Deck!" :lmao: KidTums' avatar photo! :lmao: "shut down by PETA!" :lmao:

Just awesome. (Oh, and the Great America stuff is great, too!)
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby adamico2 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:27 pm

jdcoffeytime wrote:Ok so in the brochure it says that Intamin is the designer of Vortex, but according to RCDB and what I always thought its a B&M (even when I worked at PGA, I could have sworn it was a B&M). Can anyone confirm this?

My guess is, back in '91, Intamin and B&M hadn't fully split yet. I'm really not sure, though.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby sfmman2000 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:37 pm

Shane, your California's Great America post is incredible! Thanks for posting everything.

The first time I went to CGA in the early 90s, Skyhawk was still up and running, but I was scared of upside-down rides so I didn't go on. What a mistake I made! Now I'll probably never get to ride a Flight Trainer. For those like me who are interested in what a Flight Trainer actually did, I found some media footage of Flight Commander at KI: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE89j2xA5Z4)

It is interesting to me that the Triple Wheel wasn't mentioned much in the brochures. It seems like such a photogenic ride! I would have loved to ride it.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby douggw » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Loved seeing those pics. I had a season pass each summer when I was a teenager, living in Auburn. I would visit probably 5-6 times during the summer. Loved Willard's Whizzer - small but fun coaster. Loved the 5 cent root beers at the store right next to Whizzer and the IMAX theater.
Ah the good ole days! I have a Marriott's Great America frisbee around the house somewhere still. I don't let the kids play with it. I tell them it's has sentimental value. And I loved BOTH the boat and log rides. The place was always so clean too. When Paramount bought it, it went to pot. Dirty, trash and gum everywhere. I haven't been back since and that was probably 7-8 years ago. Now just go to Discovery Kingdom all the time and have season passes there for the kids. I always tell them about GA though and maybe someday we will go.

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:21 pm

^The park definitely has a cleaner feel now. Maybe due to the trash cans. I remember the Rapids was known for having a "Gum Tree" which is now gone. No more gum trees!
About that frisbee, I noticed MGA also had yo-yos with their branding on it...I totally want one (or two) of those for some 2-handed looping, and a combo of 2 things I love: yo-yos and theme parks!

Still looking for a 1993 map as well as now a 1996 map (which I believe was a revamped version of the 1993 map with color added to it).

Ok so in the brochure it says that Intamin is the designer of Vortex, but according to RCDB and what I always thought its a B&M (even when I worked at PGA, I could have sworn it was a B&M). Can anyone confirm this?

Those press releases are somewhat misleading. All of the letterheads say "Vortex" on it, and it caught me the first time I looked at it and thought the same. The one you probably saw was for the Edge. The Vortex one actually does say B&M on it.

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:10 am

MACK Ride Catalog 2010

Here is a ride catalog I picked up at the IAAPA show. It is from one of my FAVORITE ride manufacturers...MACK. Not only are their rides amazing to ride but they are also beautiful to look at. I hope we see more of this company in the states soon! It looks like the Sea World parks have discovered the greatness of these rides now the other parks need to get on board. Mack also owns the incredible Europa-Park. It you have not been to this park yet I recommend you book your flight now!

Shane

PS- get ready for the "Random Update Lightning Round!"
m1.jpg
m2.jpg
m3.jpg
m4.jpg
m5.jpg
m6.jpg
m7.jpg
m8.jpg
m9.jpg
m10.jpg
m11.jpg
m12.jpg
m13.jpg
m14.jpg
m15.jpg
m16.jpg
m17.jpg
m18.jpg
m19.jpg
m20.jpg
m21.jpg
m22.jpg
m23.jpg
m24.jpg
m25.jpg
m26.jpg
m27.jpg
m28.jpg
m29.jpg
m30.jpg
m31.jpg
m32.jpg
m33.jpg
m34.jpg
m35.jpg
m36.jpg
m37.jpg
m38.jpg
m39.jpg
m40.jpg
m41.jpg
m42.jpg
m43.jpg
m44.jpg
m45.jpg
m46.jpg
m47.jpg
m48.jpg
m49.jpg
m50.jpg
m51.jpg
m52.jpg
m53.jpg
m54.jpg
Last edited by ernierocker on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:53 pm.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:32 am

hmmm! I don't recall ever seeing the "Twist and Splash" from Page 40 in the ride catalog. Does anybody know of any currently installed?
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Popcorn54 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:38 am

larrygator wrote:hmmm! I don't recall ever seeing the "Twist and Splash" from Page 40 in the ride catalog. Does anybody know of any currently installed?

Blackpool pleasure beach are currently installing one.

Great Photos!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks for posting this Shane.
I too love Mack, they have great, high capacity* rides.

*Except at Tusenfryd

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby jdcoffeytime » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:59 am

Angry_Gumball wrote:^The park definitely has a cleaner feel now. Maybe due to the trash cans. I remember the Rapids was known for having a "Gum Tree" which is now gone. No more gum trees!
About that frisbee, I noticed MGA also had yo-yos with their branding on it...I totally want one (or two) of those for some 2-handed looping, and a combo of 2 things I love: yo-yos and theme parks!

Still looking for a 1993 map as well as now a 1996 map (which I believe was a revamped version of the 1993 map with color added to it).

Ok so in the brochure it says that Intamin is the designer of Vortex, but according to RCDB and what I always thought its a B&M (even when I worked at PGA, I could have sworn it was a B&M). Can anyone confirm this?

Those press releases are somewhat misleading. All of the letterheads say "Vortex" on it, and it caught me the first time I looked at it and thought the same. The one you probably saw was for the Edge. The Vortex one actually does say B&M on it.

Ahhh thank you for letting me see this as I did just kind of read it fast! Feel kinda stupid now but thank you. I must have read it for The Edge or White Water Falls! Oooops!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!