TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Custom models of Sheikra, TTD, Insane and now Manta!

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

January 9, 2010 - Paint and MCBR

As promised, I took real pictures of the work done on the model for a full update. Obviously, since the last real update, I completed the corkscrew through the pretzel loop. I have continued on to the first half of the mid course break run, though, I ran out of support piping to finish it. I have since placed an order with the fabulous Evergreen Scale Models, and I should have my supplies shortly!

With the completion of the mid course, there really isn't a ton of track work left to do. So expect me to punch that out while I have the time and motivation. In the meantime, while I wait for the supplies to get here, I have started painting the coaster! Picking the right colors to match is always one of the most nerve wracking things with these models, and the realism of Manta just escalated that intensity of the selection haha. Nonetheless, I believe I picked the right colors to match the real coaster. With that in ming, I give you two caveats. First, the lighting is off with these pictures, so the paint looks a little purpley, but I promise it actually isn't. Second, I will have to do a second coat to make sure everything is consistent, so don't worry about an occasional white or light spot.

Without much further adieu, the first true update in forever! Enjoy!

19.jpg.f61e4cad5288c9618b94f0ecff1fa757.jpg

THe spin is a litttttlllleee flat, but I don't think it will be noticable when all said and done.

20.jpg.84e30f99aa9026c7b570a37117b01900.jpg

From above! I think it looks pretty good. I also think this is my best work so far. But then again, I haven't touched her in awhile.

21.jpg.b417e3855be2713e98762e41cb1c3eee.jpg

Looking towards all the action. Can't wait to see everything painted, its going to look great!

22.thumb.jpg.fd4cb8c4295569250c50cb4dd3b292ef.jpg

Hmmm. Did you know I built the station over one year ago? haha

23.thumb.jpg.814c89a8d4b3e6301a507a8649ffc865.jpg

Very, VERY satisfied with the colors. I think they make the model look incredible.

24.thumb.jpg.5e2d3539f18222d725bce46e098835cf.jpg

To conclude the update! Hope you enjoyed! Let me know if you did!

Very nice! Love the dimes being used for spacers, very clever!

You know you can get Evergreen at local Hobby Shops too? Caboose Hobbies in Denver might be your best bet, if there isn't one closer.

I actually just started a project of my own in scratchbuilding a rather important building at the Magic Kingdom. I'll post some pics later this week.

• 1 month later...
Hmmm. Did you know I built the station over one year ago? haha

Yes, i remember! And all the stuff in the story. How you bought the materials etc. it turns out AWESOME!!!

With some selfmade trains.. perfect!

I hope to see you with this model in front of the real Manta!!! Would be amazing =D

Keep up the great work!!!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

January 11, 2012 - Construction has resumed! The splashdown is currently drying in place with only a few more pieces to go until the coaster will be complete! Then the fun really begins on making this the most realistic model I have made!

Hope you guys are excited! I will be posting pictures as soon as possible!

January 16, 2012 - MANTA CONSTRUCTION COMPLETE!

It has been over two years in time since I first built the station for my Manta model. Needless to say, these past two years have proven to be exceedingly difficult to find the time and motivation to complete this model as I let college, work and everything else in front of its completion. However, I found the motivation over Christmas break to buckle down and get the construction done because nothing bugs me more than starting a project and not finishing it.

Since the last update, I have finished all the track from the MCBR into the brake run, as well as the starts of hand painting everything. I am extremely proud of my work on this model and hope that the effort I put into the model is shown to you by the level of detail and accuracy I have portrayed. Moving forward, I hope to continue this attention to detail in regards to the scenery, queue and station buildings, which will ultimately yield this my best product yet.

If I had to guess, I would assume the whole process of decorating the model will take me a semester. That said, look for more frequent updates moving forward as I enjoy sharing these with you. PLEASE share your feedback!! Let's get SWO to notice!

Without further words and no more ado, I present to you: MANTA!

IMG_0887.thumb.JPG.8c5a6361639e8108ca4bf762f8512dc3.JPG

Manta: The Model!

IMG_0888.thumb.JPG.c746fd6537eef105b1cc56fe17e5a0b7.JPG

The Splashdown! Couple noteworthy things: 1) The track has to get this low to the plywood because the actual coaster is in a pit. 2) The track doesn't yank as hard as this picture suggests - Please see pics below.

IMG_0889.thumb.JPG.f6f3bb4388c4e8b8c3056e96859c9ff0.JPG

The pretzel as seen from the midcourse!

IMG_0891.thumb.JPG.f6c443b84593f78a272ac6b5c09a6e11.JPG

IMG_0892.thumb.JPG.4143ebec73960692fb6cba7a230a6237.JPG

You can see all four inversions from this view.

IMG_0894.thumb.JPG.76e60876c527b0ab301ef296a6d83367.JPG

Everything you see in this view is what has been completed since the last update.

IMG_0896.thumb.JPG.32a86a1a44dc88bad23e781dd8f5ab8f.JPG

Painting has begun...er continued. I will paint all of the track (twice) and then paint all of the supports.

IMG_0897.thumb.JPG.901d3d3c15c2ed3e21d0a9ed3c532528.JPG

Somehow have to find a way to paint the track while navigating the brush through this mess of supports.

IMG_0898.thumb.JPG.66cf7d97904d5037cf975c4a2be45632.JPG

If you have any idea on how to paint everything more efficiently, please let me know!! Maybe I can do my own "Bag-O-Crap"

IMG_0901.thumb.JPG.837c0add127756ffe65f24b52d5193f5.JPG

Aerial of the splashdown, inline and finale. Like I said, not as jerky as the picture above suggests.

IMG_0899.thumb.JPG.6925a7449974899dae6a40f00e4384b2.JPG

And to conclude this update, an aerial of Manta! Please share your thoughts, feedback and opinions below! They are much appreciated!

This project is very inspiring to me, as these models are perfect eye candy- especially with the attention to detail, precision of the track and structures, and overall quality of the projects entirely.

Someday, if I ever get off of the road for more than two weeks, I'd love to try and tackle building a few models like this myself- predominantly of Schwarzkopf-class coasters.

Nice job all around!

This project is very inspiring to me, as these models are perfect eye candy- especially with the attention to detail, precision of the track and structures, and overall quality of the projects entirely.

Someday, if I ever get off of the road for more than two weeks, I'd love to try and tackle building a few models like this myself- predominantly of Schwarzkopf-class coasters.

Nice job all around!

RD, if you were to do that, I'd wanna see Olympia Looping, Galaxyland Mindbender, Whizzer, and Alpina Bahn, but that's just me. But, to start off small, I'd go with Greezed Lightnin'.

Nice job all around!

Thanks, RD. One of the key goals for this model in particular was to make it extremely accurate, which has also elongated the time of construction. I hope to continue this level of detail with the scenery which will hopefully make it look just like the real one!

A Schwarzkopf model would be really cool! You can follow the same technique of making B&M track to make yours. You're painting can and will be considerably more difficult than mine, and I think mine is pretty tough!

Personally I'd just focus on painting the track/hard parts first without worrying about getting paint on the supports. Then paint over the supports. The support paint should cover up any messy spots.

Glad to see you're back on this project! Can't wait to see the rest.

Nice job all around!

Thanks, RD. One of the key goals for this model in particular was to make it extremely accurate, which has also elongated the time of construction. I hope to continue this level of detail with the scenery which will hopefully make it look just like the real one!

A Schwarzkopf model would be really cool! You can follow the same technique of making B&M track to make yours. You're painting can and will be considerably more difficult than mine, and I think mine is pretty tough!

That's sort of what I was looking at- for simplicity sake. I do think that some of the 'finer details' (I.E. track type, etc.) will be more challenging overall- so I'd figure 'start small' and go up from there- with a Shuttle Loop II.

Have you ever worked with painting the track before assembling it? My thought is to build the 'test track' to complete, then mount it to the supports/structures following a 'curing' time for the paint. It would make some of the more complex Schwarzkopf models easier to build in the long run.

R.D.

It still looks a little pumpy in the final section, but overall it is an amazing model. I really hope you plan on putting the train in the wing dive section and pull of the "splash" effect. That would really kick this thing up to the next level. This is by far my favorite model from you, and it's not even finished!