TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

"Tony Hawk" "Wiggles" and "Thomas" to leave Six Flags?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^So we might finally have something to discuss in the Six Flags America thread?!?!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

As a Virginia native, I wouldn't be too hurt if they finally put that old dog out of its misery. I'm waiting for them to close/sell the foreign properties, and maybe even the Great Escape.

For a company that emerged from bankruptcy, they sure are very financially aware. It's not a bad thing, but could it be a telling sign they are teetering n Chapter 11's edge still?

Coaster Cuts was a horrible concept. One of the 2 locations was at a mall about 30 minutes away from me and it was always empty. First it was expensive, around $20 which I would think most parents wouldn't want to spend on a kids haircut. The bigger problem was that most of the store was a toy store and parents probably didn't want to take kids in their to get a haircut and then see toys all over the place. The whole watching coasters part was while their hair was washed, there was a TV screen above them that showed clips of coaster POV's.

^^Without going off on a whole SFA fanboy enraged tangent, I feel SFA has the potential. I mean you look at the coasters and S:ROS, and Wild One are great. Joker's Jinx is pretty good, and the others are "meh". The park had the addition of Thomas Town this year, and that's a start. Hopefully sometime in the future it will recieve a more "thrilling" addition, but hey, it's a start.

As far as the Great Escape, it's a GREAT park. I freaking loved it. It's odd, and inexplicable, but it doesn't feel like a Six Flags Park, but rather a nice, small, family owned park. Which is exactly the problem. It has no business being a Six Flags Park. It's a great park, I love it, I'll probably try to visit it once a year, but it's not the same type of park that exists in other Six Flags properties. There's no major coaster (Comet's the closest the have to a MAJOR coaster), there's no real draw to the park. Lake George is a resort area in the summer, but The Great Escape isn't a park that anyone would go out of there way for. It's a nice park to visit if you're in the area, but it doesn't have the major attractions that draw big-time crowds that Six Flags is usually associated with.

I guess, in the long term however, SFA and The Great Escape are the most likely of the Six Flags parks to be closed and/or sold off.

ANYWAYS... I see Robb's points. Although "Coaster Cuts" may be the worst idea the Theme Park industry has ever come up with, it seems Six Flags has been making massive cut backs recently. WIll pakrs be next? Soon? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Coaster Cuts was a horrible concept. One of the 2 locations was at a mall about 30 minutes away from me and it was always empty. First it was expensive, around $20 which I would think most parents wouldn't want to spend on a kids haircut. The bigger problem was that most of the store was a toy store and parents probably didn't want to take kids in their to get a haircut and then see toys all over the place. The whole watching coasters part was while their hair was washed, there was a TV screen above them that showed clips of coaster POV's.

I thought that was the only cool part about the King of Prussia Mall. But other than that, the place pretty much has only high class brand stores (MUCH different from what I remembered from my childhood when I went there).

SFA wouldn't be a shocker if it closed up. Most of my friends who've been there didn't speak highly of that place and if it might be on the chopping block, maybe doing to credit run down there before it closes up might not be such a bad idea.

So are we talking: shut a park, sell/relocate the rides, and sell the land? As opposed to selling the park itself to another operator?

I'd like it if they shut SFNE and relocated Bizarro to SFMM, that's more convenient for me travel-wise and California gets about as much airtime as Milli Vanilli.

What kind of formula would they apply? Return on Investment from park versus debt servicing cost, for instance? We hear parks are making a profit but I guess expressed as a percentage of the estimated value of the park it might not cut it against ongoing interest on loans.

So how is six flags Mexico doing?

Oddly enough my sources tell me that Six Flags Mexico and La Ronde actually do very good business. But then again, so did Astroworld....

Especially in Mexico, where a brand name theme park like Six Flags is hard to come by. And though the closing of Astroworld is still a relatively mindboggling affair, I don't think it's good to suggest waking up one morning to find some guys auctioning off speakers from SFDK or SFNE in their respective parking lots. That's an apocalyptic scenario.

I was going for the foreign parks because of it being a foreign market to the majority of Six Flags parks.

Also, it would be really... odd of them to close and sell off another park. They've pretty much cut their ownership in half in the last six or so years, which is a rather staggering thing to think about. You'd think they're finally off the slippery slope.

There was a Coaster Cuts at King of Prussia mall in PA. I wanted to get my haircut there just cause it is coaster related but never got up there with it being 2 hours away.

As for Six Flags America - I know everyone is tired of hearing about it. It can close for all I care. I would prefer someone else buy it and make it what it deserves to be. If it closes altogether I will miss having a park within an hour of my place but I will survive.

I hope someone who knows the truth behind it all will someday come forward and explain the thinking behind "Rollercoaster Cuts." Did the management at the time REALLY believe that was a good way to "extend the brand?" Can't be, can it? There MUST have been some other reason. As Elissa mentioned, keeping someone's wife/girlfriend/mistress busy is far more plausible.

The mind reels.