Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 969 - Lone Star Revolution Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I teach at the school of donkey!

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby BrandonR » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:51 am

Speaking of the very well-done Holiday in the Park event, I uploaded a bunch of photos showing off the event, as well as a video of the pretty cool light show they have in the Texas section.

And for those able to visit the park, be sure and hit the SantaLand gift shop (in the Majestic Theater in Goodtimes Square). They're offering very cool Christmas tree ornaments made from the old Texas Giant structure! And for you unfortunate souls that can't make it, you can try and win one! ;)

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:59 pm

for those who were thinking of going to check out the progress of the giant today, I would highly discourage it at the moment. The exit ramp and highway 360 are jammed with cars trying to get in. Security is waving people around the corner to the far back lot to park. I came to town for xmas shopping and to screw off, so I'm reversing course and will come back tomorrow evening. It's just plain insane, never seen it like this before.
Last edited by chadster on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:38 pm.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby kgbishop15 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:04 pm

mudvayneimn wrote:^^I would think the first option they would go with is finding a way to lighten the train to it's intended weight. :airtime:

yeah just remove all the safety restraints that will lighten the load a lil bit lol

Postby Zingoman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:31 pm

Houstonthrills and I made it into the park today and I got some great shots of giant. The park is a total madhouse. The flats are all boasting full queues. I haven't seen lines like this for most of these rides since the late 80s! Haha.
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:36 pm

Zingoman wrote:Houstonthrills and I made it into the park today and I got some great shots of giant. The park is a total madhouse. The flats are all boasting full queues. I haven't seen lines like this for most of these rides since the late 80s! Haha.

Awesome! Look forward to the update! Would make a great front page TPR story for a Monday morning! ;)

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:37 pm

^^ You're a brave man, I took one look and went on down the road. Thought about parking at the QT and walking up onto the center of the bridge looking over at Titan and the TG, but being as my frogger days are over, bypassed that as well.

I know SFMM was having a get in free day with a toy, but didn't see anything on it with SFOT so figured it'd be safe until around 4 or 5, boy was I wrong!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:27 pm

^ It was almost that bad on the Saturday after turkey day. The only things I rode were the train and the carousel, as those were the only things with queues shorter than an hour.

Postby Zingoman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:49 pm

Here are a few shots of Giant today. I'll probably post the HitP crowd madness in another thread (since it's off topic)sometime and link it here.
tpr1.jpg
Sexy curves baby!
tpr2.jpg
they cleared out all the trees and brush in the infield... after over ten months of work??
tpr3.jpg
these guys are still hard at work all over the ride. They also had two cranes in action most of the day.
tpr4.jpg
These I beams were apparently wood on the old Giant and have just been replaced with steel.
tpr5.png
Sorry for the stupid light in the way but you can see the chain is now working it's way up the lift.
tpr6.jpg
And the thing that really made my day! They lit up Giant's little tree! They MUST have read my post yesterday! ;)
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

I Love Donkeys!

Postby robeclay » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:12 pm

I got some pictures of "that which we dont speak of" from Frosty's Snow Hill next to the music mill amphitheatre. And a couple from a friend on the structure itself...
giant.jpg
giant2.jpg
giant3.jpg
giant4.jpg
giant5.jpg
giant6.jpg
giant7.jpg
giant8.jpg

Fresh and new. But still a GIANT IDIOT.

Postby coastercrutchfield » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:16 pm

^ Sweet! Nice Pics!! I'm probably going to be at the park everyday over the winter break now =) Can't wait to see the progress since I haven't been there since Fright Fest. I might do a full video trip report walk through thing at night and maybe a video construction report. But first... midterms :cry:

I still hope that they will extend the queue into the middle of the ride like Mean Streak, but they would probably have to since it is so short. That would call for some sweet offride vids!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!