TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

From what I've heard, It gets an average July crowd but not on the scale of that of a average Howl-o-Scream Saturday. It's too cold in Virginia right now to run the Griffon, though its on the tracks in the case if it gets warm enough for it to run. Do show up to the park with your hopes up for a ride on it.

I've heard only good things of Christmastown! They have expanded into Italy and have allot more flat rides open!

I'm still waiting for the cfc PTR!

I believe its somewhere between 42 and 44 degrees... which happens to be the average weather is sitting at right now...

^^^ I heard a rumor (It might had been said in a John Reilly interview that the BBW station was to be reused...

Also the VA Gazette is known to get its facts right so... Inclosed up to 8 stories sounds like a rumor I heard with a certain De Fallinfast!

For anyone that has gone to Christmas Town before, what kind of crowds does it usually have? Is it similar to Halloween in that you should always avoid going on Saturdays and Fridays/Sundays are mildly crowded? Thanks.

Saturdays last year were definitely crowded so its better to go on Fridays and Sundays. The week of Christmas drew some crowds as well.

Meanwhile, back at Water Country USA, construction (or, at least, ground clearing) has started for Vanish Point, the park's new slides.

This video was posted on the park's Facebook page. It looks like Vanish Point is going to be installed somewhere in the vicinity of Big Daddy Falls and Aquazoid, as near as I can tell.

Screamscape sources are sorting through the news articles and permit applications BGW has submitted for the big 2012 coaster project. The new permits call for a new large 26,000 sqft ‘event building’ that will be 80 feet “above the existing grade” along with a themed bridge 95 feet above the grade. The new ride will make use of the former Big Bad Wolf station building as well. The former BBW ravine area will be “flattened” and a balloon test will be held on Dec 8th to show off how the new building and bridge will look from outside the park limits. With a building this big, it seems almost a given that the ride will feature some kind of indoor segment, which would be a nice addition if done well.

link

First I had heard of them flattening the BBW ravine...

^^After watching the video again, I think you're right about the location of Vanish Point.

^I recall someone asking John Reilly about a potential "dark ride" section for the new coaster, but he neither confirmed nor denied it.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has sent us a great press release including photos and video regarding the return of their successful Christmas Town event.

Get ready for evenings filled with warm holiday memories when Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration opens Friday. Walk among two million twinkling Christmas lights, explore one-of-a-kind shops, feast on culinary treats and marvel at the spectacle of Christmas Town's signature shows.

New for 2010, explore Italy's Christmas traditions featuring Italian culinary favorites, Busch Gardens' exclusive capodimonte gifts and a new entertainment production that will leave guests with a feeling of peace on earth.

"The addition of Italy to Busch Gardens' Christmas Town lineup expands the park's transformation into a holiday wonderland," said Busch Gardens' President Carl Lum. "Guests can now walk a complete loop around the park and experience all of Busch Gardens' holiday offerings while they are surrounded by the beautiful sights and delicious aromas of Christmas."

Christmas Town begins in England as a bustling city scene comes to life with Dickens-style carolers amid traditional greenery, red bows and candlelit windows at every shop and restaurant. New this year, guests can experience Christmas Town while relaxing 80 feet in the air aboard one of Busch Gardens' high-flying gondolas. Flight of Lights offers breathtaking views of all of Christmas Town's themed villages and showcases Busch Gardens' holiday decorations."

Travel back to simpler times and leave the city lights behind while exploring the Scottish countryside where sheep and horses roam under a star-filled wintery sky. Then step into Ireland as the village of Killarney transforms into a dazzling holiday festival filled with the magic of Christmas on Emerald isle. Pull up a stool and warm up at Grogan's Pub with a selection of hearty soups and stews. Stroll across the courtyard to the Abbey Stone Theatre for "Rejoice," a Christmas show that fills the audience with the Christmas spirit through moving imagery, choral harmonies and a full, live orchestra. The little ones can even dine with Santa and Mrs. Claus at Santa's Fireside Feast and have their picture taken with the jolly old elf himself.

In France, explore an ice-filled wonderland with dazzling lights, falling snow and an up-close encounter with live penguins on the Polar Pathway. Then join a down-home Christmas in New France where the sights and smells of a country Christmas will fill the air.

Make sure to visit Santa's Workshop at the North Pole before heading to "The Stocking Stop," the park's newest "KIDsiderate" store. This store features pre-wrapped gifts that children can purchase to surprise their friends and families on Christmas Day. Don't miss a trip to Oktoberfest to view Virginia's tallest light-animated Christmas tree. The culmination of a visit to Christmas Town unfolds in a larger-than-life format with the spectacular light show, "O Tannenbaum." This show features the park's iconic 50-foot Christmas tree with choreographed lights and music that fill guests with Christmas spirit.

Round out the Christmas Town experience with a visit to Italy, the park's newest Christmas wonderland. Gather friends and family around the table while dining on a traditional Italian Christmas dinner and enjoying the park's newest production, "Miracles." Live vocalists and an ensemble of dancers inspire guests to believe that anything is possible.

Busch Gardens is extending its Christmas Town operation through New Year's Eve, concluding with a 10 p.m. fireworks extravaganza on Dec. 31. Christmas Town will be open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 3 - 10 p.m. starting Nov. 26, and will open daily from Dec. 17 through Dec. 31, excluding Christmas Day. The park will close at 9 p.m. on Nov. 28, Dec. 5, Dec. 12 and on Christmas Eve.

Event details are available on the new Christmas Town website at http://www.christmastown.com.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Xmastree_lightsbroll264_ifyw[/coastertube]

BM1124SX01_003H.jpg.79a074f2ef1b15b0f29fa739ee731ad1.jpg

Performers of Rejoice sing to the audience at Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. Busch Gardens’ annual Christmas Town features millions of twinkling lights, holiday shows, dining, shopping and the most famous elf of all, Santa Claus.

BM1127SX01_005H.jpg.c871f21d663202befe19d383c0e7083a.jpg

Guests enter Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg where more than two million twinkling lights were used to decorate the holiday-themed event.

BM1127SX01_006H.jpg.0721e95390d69b4eadd48aed9c61cdcf.jpg

Carolers sing to the crowd at Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. Busch Gardens’ annual Christmas Town features millions of twinkling lights, holiday shows, dining, shopping and the most famous elf of all, Santa Claus.

BM1127SX01_007H.jpg.e1868907c46d9d3db555c3c9cd95d8b4.jpg

A canopy of stars hangs over head as guests walk through Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg.

BM1127SX01_008H.jpg.18b5d601fd68f0e6e5dedda1071b2f79.jpg

A canopy of stars hangs over head as guests walk through Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg.

BM1127SX01_009H.jpg.df2f6e30a8edd98dc0ce153f2d6e6ec1.jpg

A 50-foot Christmas tree lights up the Germany section of Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg.

BM1127SX01_010H.jpg.a4a60d0c8e3a27bfc26b9e67970db8b7.jpg

A 50-foot Christmas tree lights up the Germany section of Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg.

BM1128OK01_052H.jpg.a5e0e2fb4ba9e8dfd57a9353a929b361.jpg

BM1128OK01_084H.jpg.fae4b5f4a597f29fc456a19c3066c038.jpg

Frosty the snowman dances in Deck the Halls for the audience at Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg.

BM1128OK01_092H.jpg.d631214525cce9ef7d858a755ab170d0.jpg

Performers of Deck the Halls sing to the audience at Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. Busch Gardens’ annual Christmas Town features millions of twinkling lights, holiday shows, dining, shopping and the most famous elf of all, Santa Claus.

BM1211OK01_003H.jpg.942c575e51672b1aa1313036fa4de8cb.jpg

Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration in Williamsburg, Va. features millions of twinkling lights, holiday shows, dining, shopping and the most famous elf of all, Santa Claus. ©2010 SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment

BN1123OK01_001H.jpg.f9b3bc1770ceb4a353b53f6ffba286e3.jpg

BN1123OK01_002H.jpg.676fa22069de9fa48586ef3813992f7d.jpg

Performers of "Miracles" sing to the audience at Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration. Busch Gardens' annual Christmas Town features millions of twinkling lights, holiday shows, dining, shopping and the most famous elf of all, Santa Claus.

BN1123OK01_003H.jpg.46ae74c5ed1f9eb17386f214c06e71d5.jpg

Performers of "Miracles", the park's newest show dance for the audience at Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration. Busch Gardens' annual Christmas Town features millions of twinkling lights, holiday shows, dining, shopping and the most famous elf of all, Santa Claus.

BN1123OK01_004H.jpg.1c41e5bdbf42938e09b5855dbc99e1a3.jpg

Performers of "Miracles", the park's newest show dance for the audience at Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration. Busch Gardens' annual Christmas Town features millions of twinkling lights, holiday shows, dining, shopping and the most famous elf of all, Santa Claus.

BN1123OK01_005H.jpg.c9772a5b5d713f77603d08ec2a1ad6d7.jpg

BN1123OK01_006H.jpg.c4e65a8b2f057684093cb882ebed15ad.jpg

Performers of "Deck the Halls" sing to the audience at Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. Busch Gardens' annual Christmas Town features millions of twinkling lights, holiday shows, dining, shopping and the most famous elf of all, Santa Claus.

Screamscape sources are sorting through the news articles and permit applications BGW has submitted for the big 2012 coaster project. The new permits call for a new large 26,000 sqft ‘event building’ that will be 80 feet “above the existing grade” along with a themed bridge 95 feet above the grade. The new ride will make use of the former Big Bad Wolf station building as well. The former BBW ravine area will be “flattened” and a balloon test will be held on Dec 8th to show off how the new building and bridge will look from outside the park limits. With a building this big, it seems almost a given that the ride will feature some kind of indoor segment, which would be a nice addition if done well.

link

First I had heard of them flattening the BBW ravine...

Yeah, that's a little disappointing. You'd just think that they would keep that aspect of BBW around, but I guess now that it's gone, it's gone, and who really cares about ruining the natural terrain of that plot of land?

I can't believe that the economics of reprofiling the terrain would benefit the park, especially with the river branching out into that area. I guess that if they do indeed reprofile it then they must have decided that area is better used with something place onto it.

The Big Bad Wolf was a popular ride and a lot of people were upset to see it go. I think the new coaster may be themed around wolves to pay homage to the coaster that was. The queue may go through a wolf habitat much like Manta in Sea World.

I think the ride will be a multiple launched coaster going in and out of darkness with the possibility of storyline similar to Big Bad Wolf, in that you are escaping from a wolf.

I also think the name will have wolf in the title: Wolf's Revenge, Escape from Wolf, Wolf Hunt (?)

Just some thoughts.....

^I've already given my theory that it will be Three Little Pigs themed. Das Little Piggehs will be the name. There will be three launches, one for straw, one for sticks, and one for bricks. Before each launch, you hear over speakers, "I'll huff, and PUFF, and BLOWWWWWWW your house in!!!!" And when he says BLOWWWWWWW, that's when it launches.

If I were any more brilliant, I'd be Picaso and da Vinci's love child.