Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 632 - Mystic River Falls Announced for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Re: Tom & Huck's RiverBlast, @ Silver Dollar City in 2010

Postby Shavethewhales » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:52 pm

Been a long time since anyone mentioned it here, but a LOT has been going on with this ride and a ton of other projects around the park.
River Blast is really shaping up to have a lot of awesome theming and really fits into the park well. Across the park, both Splash Harbor and Wilderness Waterboggin have been removed. They have also removed the old Apple Butter store building and possibly the old tree house that's been closed for years as well. All in all it's going to be a weird year at SDC! They'll have a ton of new land to work with in 2011.

An SDC staff member posted a great photo update of everything here: http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=150.msg11450#msg11450

Delicious & Refreshing

NEWS: AOL names SDC in 10 Best Christmas Lights Displays

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Silver Dollar City has sent us a press release regarding their latest honor, this time coming from AOL for their Christmas light display.

AOL Travel has named Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri on their newly posted list of the "10 Best Christmas Light Displays in the US." Included in the list are such national icons as: The National Christmas Tree in Washington, DC; Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando; and Rockefeller Center in New York.

The article describes the theme park’s An Old Time Christmas festival: “Just in time for the holiday season, this theme park near Branson, Missouri is transformed into a dazzling holiday wonderland. The light and sound show begins with a daily tree lighting ceremony at the central square, where a five-story Christmas tree that flickers to the beat of holiday songs is lit. The rest of Silver Dollar City glows in over 4 million dazzling lights. The twinkling floats of the Gifts of Christmas Holiday Light Parade also pass by twice each evening.” The article and image of the Square in lights is posted at http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/11/22/10-best-christmas-light-displays-in-the-us/ .

Silver Dollar City features the Christmas on Main Street light and sound show, 1,000 decorated Christmas trees, a Holiday Light Parade, the Broadway-style production of “A Dickens' Christmas Carol,” festive holiday foods and over four million lights.

An Old Time Christmas, running through Dec. 30, is the grand finale to the park’s 50th anniversary celebration. The festival previously has been recognized as one of the nation’s top holiday celebrations by USA Today, CNN Travel, The Travel Channel and Good Morning America. For information: http://www.silverdollarcity.com or 800-831-4FUN(386).
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I'm the gyro!

Re: NEWS: AOL names SDC in 10 Best Christmas Lights Displays

Postby DerekRx » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:51 pm

With all the effort SDC puts into the detailed theming, it's no surprise they can do a fantastic job with Christmas lights. Glad to see them get recognized for it, hopefully some year I'll head out there to see them for myself.
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:30 am

I'll be there this coming Thursday and Friday if anyone wants to meet up

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:25 pm

I have not been to sdc yet. How does the christmas event compare to dollywoods?
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 pm

I just got back from OTC yesterday. It is indeed pretty great.

As far as comparing it to DW's event goes, I assume they're very similar. They both have multi-story tree/light shows, millions of lights, special high-quality theatrical productions, etc.

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:05 pm

Time to drag up this thread at last!

It has been confirmed that Silver Dollar City will open a brand new coaster by Rocky Mountain Coasters for the 2013 season. Construction is already taking place behind The Giant Swing. It was confirmed in an article of the Spokane Journal of Business which was profiling Rocky Mountain. The firm is building new facilities to produce its track and a new train design that will "revolutionize the industry". The combination of the two new technologies will allow the firm to build looping "wooden" coasters.

Not much is known about the Silver Dollar City coaster, other than it will be built from the ground up and together with the refurbishment of the Rattler at SF Fiesta Texas the total cost of the two projects will be $12 million. Not a ton of money depending on how much the Rattler costs, but if they stay lot to the ground they won't have to use all that much wood. $8 million with this tech will build a damn good coaster, maybe even a top ten.

The big question now is "will it have inversions?". Honestly I kind of hope not. I just want a crazy first drop and lots of twisty craziness through the trees and ravines. They have some nice land at their disposal where they are building it.

I wrote up a little summary of the article on SDCFans, but I don't think I can post the original article publicly due to the paywall issues. It doesn't say much more than what I just wrote.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:32 pm

^Wow.

First, what exciting news! I am so tempted to find my way back there next year.

Second, will it be wooden or "wooden"? I've heard they will be building true wood coasters, but I could see them making an "NTag" from scratch, too. I understand what they've already done, but this future stuff loses me quick.

Third...I hope this doesn't mean Silverwood isn't getting one next year...that was an awesome rumor.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Shavethewhales wrote:It has been confirmed that Silver Dollar City will open a brand new coaster by Rocky Mountain Coasters for the 2013 season.

Honestly, I will belive it when I see an actual announcement from SDC. I only say this because when the rep from RMC spoke to us at ACE Summer con at Silverwood he "Confirmed" to us that Holiday World purchased topper track for the Voyage than Holiday world turned around and said it was not true at all...

Postby Shavethewhales » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:01 am

^Wow, I really hope that's not the case here. The article comes out and specifically states that they have a project at Silver Dollar City, and they are in fact building something at Silver Dollar City right now with a lot of land clearing going on already. It would be weird for them to announce they're working on somebody else's project.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. I really expected the chain to go with GCII, who they have such a good relationship with. This totally bucks the trend of staying with proven manufacturers and installing similar rides at their owned parks. The other time the park went with a coaster that was the first of it's kind, it didn't really work out all that well. (Was PK the first of it's kind? I was referring to Buzzsaw Falls, but maybe this is actually the third time they've done this...)

I also don't like the relatively low dollar count. If the $12 million is between the two 2013 projects, then they either must not be doing much to the Rattler or this won't be a very big coaster. The wood components are cheap - if this were a GCII I would be totally happy to hear of it costing $6-8 million, but NTAG cost $10 million as a re-build, and it seems like there will be a lot of costs associated with being a new coaster. We'll see though, it doesn't have to be huge and expensive to be amazing, or even a top ten coaster, but it sure helps with this style. Now that we know this is will be a thrill coaster my expectations are higher.

And while we're on the subject of money I have to add: how come SDC only gets approx $6-8 million to spend on its first completely new coaster in a decade while DW has spent around $20 million a piece on their last two coasters not including their woodie and other big rides built in the last decade. My how the tables have turned in terms of chain investments these days, not that I'm bitter or anything ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!