TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

I like em both too. I didn't mention my passes to Universal and KI. Both of those are "mixed" parks in my book. Enough to do with both my older kids with coasters, but have decent amounts of activity for my 2 year old. I haven't been to Cedar Point in many years, not because I'm not a fan, but because there isn't enough there for the little ones to justify the trip. Once they get older, I'm sure my Kings Island pass will be upgraded to a Cedar Fair premium. On my last trip to Cali, I had 1 day to spend at a park and had to decide between them. Since I was solo, I chose Six Flags for the coasters. I'm still trying to figure out how to justify spending $2k on airfare plus lodging to take the family to Disneyland. I don't think it'll happen until they are old enough to visit all the parks and coasters.

Airline tickets have really gotton out of hand.

A few yers ago, I got tickets for me and amy for around $175 each round trip. Last year, same airline, same dates, the tickets were $300 each round trip and that did not include all the new baggage fees they have now. it would also cost another $100 round trip in baggage fees. So when all said and done, it would cost us $700 to fly down to florida from Michigan.

With the new baggage fees and increse in flights, it is a LOT cheaper for us to just drive to florida. So we did drive last time, and it only took us 18 hours each way, and $300 round trip in gas. Not to mention, it was nice to have a car in florida.

Yeah, $400 was a very high estimate in gas, but wanted to err on the high side and not get into a gas price war. Cincinnati is terrible on flights as Delta has a monopoly. When we started flying to Orlando about 8 years ago, it wasn't bad. Now, with the price increases, baggage fees, and 3 kids, it costs at least $1000. If you add the cost of a rental car to get to the other parks, the cost goes up more. We started driving this last year when the youngest turned 2. We drive through the night, so the kids aren't crying the whole way and get there in about 12-13 hours. After having our own car on Disney property, I'm not sure I can go back to the sardine buses.

I found a really cool tool(hey, that rhymes ) that AAA has for fuel estimates.

http://www.theautochannel.com/link.html?http://www.fuelcostcalculator.com/TripGasprice.aspx

Last time I drove down to florida, it was really close to what I spent. I think it was within $15 of what it cost me in gas. It's a good thing to use when planning a trip that your going to be driving to.

• 1 month later...

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/art-of-animation-resort/?int_cmp=SOC-intDPFY10Q3ArtOfAnimationResort16-09-10@0002

Coming soon: a new Walt Disney World Resort! Disney's Art of Animation Resort hotel, a Disney Value Resort hotel, will draw its inspiration from 4 classic Disney animated films: The Lion King, The Little Mermaid and Disney·Pixar's Finding Nemo and Cars.

Booking dates for this family-friendly resort, scheduled to open Summer of 2012, have not been announced yet. Please continue to check back for more information and details.

Step into some of your favorite stories! Each one of the Disney's Art of Animation Resort buildings are being designed to make you feel like you are part of one of 4 beloved animated films. Trace the movie's theme, from the playful courtyards to the festive room interiors.

The 864 rooms planned within The Little Mermaid buildings will be sea-inspired with an eye towards value.

The Lion King, Cars and Finding Nemo buildings are planned to exclusively feature family suites which accommodate up to six guests. The concepts show a total of 1,120 family suites—all arranged for added space and comfort.

The concept for these family suites include:

•2 separate bathrooms

•A master bedroom

•3 separate sleeping areas within the living space, which includes an "Inovabed"—an impressive piece of furniture that transforms from a generously sized dining or work table to a comfortable bed in seconds.

Kids and kids at heart will be able to romp through one of the 4 courtyards—one courtyard for each film—where there will be icons and sculptures to interact with and play around. Make a splash in the main pool—complete with a pool bar—or relax in one of the 2 quiet pool areas. Planned amenities at Disney's Art of Animation Resort include an animation-themed food court, arcade, retail location and interior airline check-in stations.

Location and General Information

Disney's Art of Animation Resort is scheduled to be located near Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park and ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. It will be a smoke-free Resort; smoking will be permitted only in designated outdoor smoking locations.

art_of_animation_998x450.jpg.0cc4db701be7de054b77f0e2c27f9f27.jpg

Holy crap... if that rendering is correct, it looks as if this resort will have interior corridors... for the suite buildings at least... and if I'm reading correct, the "Little Mermaid" standard rooms, which will occupy the existing buildings (former Pop Century 1940's decade) will remain as constructed... with outdoor hallways with railings... and the Suite buildings (not yet constructed) will have interior corridors (as seen in the Nemo rendering)... that will be HUGE with the guests... and a step in a great direction for the "value" brand of resorts... thats IF I'm seeing things correctly...

^ Looks that way to me but that would seem odd to have certain buildings with outdoor corridors and certain buildings with indoor corridors in the same resort. This could possibly just be a mistake on the part of the person who drew this or maybe these are the backs of the rooms and the outdoor corridors are on the other side??? It will be interesting to watch this project progress to see what is actually built.

• 1 month later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/11/first-look-waterfront-district-hyperion-wharf-among-plans-for-downtown-disney/

How about that? New dining, shopping and entertainment experiences are in the works for Downtown Disney and today we’re sharing a first look at what to expect in the future for the 120-acre complex. Look closely and you’ll see that Pleasure Island will evolve into a vibrant waterfront district called “Hyperion Wharf.”

The district will come to life with a nostalgic yet modern take on an early 20th century port city and amusement pier. By day, stylish boutiques and innovative restaurants will draw you in and by night, thousands of lights will transform the area into an electric wonderland.

Taking its name from Hyperion, the Greek god of light, as well as the street on which Walt Disney built his first major animation studio, the wharf district will also feature a relaxing lakeside park and enhanced pedestrian walkways. And its diverse eateries will expand dining availability at Downtown Disney by more than 25 percent.

Along with the new wharf district, other projects are underway at Downtown Disney, including:

• An extensive renovation of Lego Imagination Center, which will increase its overall footprint by nearly 3,500 square-feet and add new Lego exterior models featuring scenes from classic Disney movies.
  • Enhancements at AMC Theatres that will take the movie-going experience at Downtown Disney to the next level with new digital technology, a Concession Stand of the Future and Florida’s first Fork & Screen Theater; and…
  • Numerous new or renovated retail shops and merchandise vignettes, as well as additional atmosphere entertainment, throughout Downtown Disney.

Construction on the district begins immediately and it’s scheduled to be completed in 2013.

Pretty exciting, huh? Let us know what are you most looking forward to.

hwd001223LARGE.jpg.44514554911ddbd4aff2fe6d2cd2852e.jpg

hwd002556LARGE.jpg.5deffbcdbb5d2cde970eb40b2764a4c7.jpg

hwd003445LARGE.jpg.b931da81313ff0833cc879eb0ada894e.jpg

piwharf.jpg.764cb37fe7c2b5c229f3a9236f9231fb.jpg

piwharf2.jpg.f5e56d745b90fea6b9965e4870f5192d.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Color me unimpressed thus far. I sure hope "innovative restaurants" translates to "interesting adult beverage options," because "stylish boutiques, a relaxing lakeside park, and enhanced pedestrian walkways" are a sad replacement for Pleasure Island. An updated Adventurers Club would be nice.

I am glad that they are doing something with pleasure island. But I REALLY miss mannequins and the adventure club. I am kind of confused as to what besides a bunch of lights, they are going to have at night now.

The last time we were in downtown disney, it was depressing. I hope whatever this is will liven the area up. Disney needs some kind of night time "adult" entertainment.

Hmmm.. Somethign different but it really does seem like another boardwalk but maybe a bit fancier. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jellyrolls moved over there. The last time I was at Jellyrolls the place was very quiet and that was mid summer. Maybe I was there on an off night. Moving it over there certainly would be an easy way to liven it up. Some sort of live music would be a nice thing to incorporate.

I heard Schussler Creative,(the Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex people) will be creating a new restaurant in the current location of the Beach Club and Motion.It will be a speedboat themed restaurant with a working name of Mahogany Bay Classic Old Boats and Great Food.

I really like this! Nice to see more "downtown Disney", which is what I think they need.

I for one CANNOT WAIT for the posts from all the Adventurer's Club fanboys bitching and moaning for when the wrecking ball hits the building. I'm going to sit back with some popcorn and be entertained.

--Robb "Maybe PRINCE DESMOND can save teh adventuring club?" Alvey

Yeah Downtown Disney is always insane so I'm sure the Wharf will be wildly successful. It's nice they finally announced their very pretty plans. I just feel that Pleasure Island offered something unique to locals and guests that is more than just Disney's version of a spruced up outdoor town center style shopping plaza. Plus the PI annual pass was a great value.

I never spent a lot of time in the other clubs aside from the Beach Club to play pool, but you can't find something as unique as the Adventurer's Club or even a good free Improv club anywhere else in the country and probably the world! I can get food anywhere..

At least there will be some closure when the wrecking ball strikes.

I really like this! Nice to see more "downtown Disney", which is what I think they need.

I for one CANNOT WAIT for the posts from all the Adventurer's Club fanboys bitching and moaning for when the wrecking ball hits the building. I'm going to sit back with some popcorn and be entertained.

--Robb "Maybe PRINCE DESMOND can save teh adventuring club?" Alvey

If they were REALLY fanboys, they'd tie themselves to the building and demand they get knocked down along with the building. You know, like them treehuggers.

I already got my popcorn!