TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

IAAPA 2010 Trade Show Orlando Coverage! Photo & Video Update

SharkTums

Oh really? Not even a "micrometer", huh? Wow you must be an engineer to know this. Yeah, you know those REAL engineers at Rocky Mountain better re-check their math, because, geez...if they are even off by a "micrometer" there is going to be a HUGE problem!

--Robb "Love how the Internet is full of self-proclaimed experts." Alvey

I just got told. No shame.

Yes, I was assuming that the running wheels were the width of the gap between the bolt assemblies. Kind of ignorantly stupid in hindsight, and the micrometer assumption was a huge exaggeration.

My apologies if I sounded full of myself. I am no expert, I'm learning, and I've been learning that more than zero tolerance for error in engineering is unacceptable, especially in the design phase.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty awesome update guys. It is weird seeing your footage and some photos in IAAPA? I think it's pretty awesome your footage gets all over the place. I'm being a total nerd right now but it's so awesome that you got to meet all those head honcho's of all the companies. You guys are so freaking lucky.

Seriously, I wish I had more money and more time off so I could go to an IAAPA. Although I might go to Comic Con before I go to IAAPA.

Jimmy "IAAPA Rocks!" Bo

From these updates, I have come to the conclusion that at some point in my life I am going to IAAPA. Even if I have to take someone hostage just to get in

I do have one question though, assuming anyone has been at both: Would you rather attend IAAPA or Comic-Con, even though the only things they have in common are that companies showing off their products (new and old alike) to the media and public, the sheer enormity of both, and that they are held in select cities?

Actually, I have a question.

Robb, did Mack show you guys how that new tea-cup-boat-thing ride worked? It looks really interesting, like it fills up with water or something (because of the grated floor). It looks like a really cool concept.

Can anyone help me understand the M&V company? I'm still confused about the whole M&V and Gravity Group relationship. I know that M&V built the last few Gravity Group coasters but do they design their own?

EDIT: Ok I looked on RCDB and see that M&V is listed as constructing a number of other wooden coasters. So do they do design or are these just concepts they are proposing hoping they would get to build?

EDIT2: Fixed Gravity Group name...

Edited by kenshinmac

I'm surprised Premier is keeping the same car design for Trans Studio after all the problems Sky Rocket has had at Kennywood. The side pads have had to be replaced multiple times and/or taped together from their flexibility and tendencey to break. Also, the leg room in the back row is really tight. Hopefully the rumor of newly engineered trains for Sky Rocket next year is true.

Loving the report, keep it coming!

I didn't know Schilke was with Rocky Mountain Construction. Good to see that he's still involved with innovative projects. I haven't seen him since I watched him talk about the design of X in "Extreme Rollercoasters (2003)" on a Netflix DVD.

Yeah that was a suprise....now if only he can find a way to market the arrowbatic through his new company since Arrow was never able to get any takers on it.

First IAAPA video coming soon! This will include interviews with Alan Schilke of Rocky Mountain Coasters discussing the Texas Giant, Chuck Bingham of Martin & Vleminckx discussing the Zippin Pippin, High Five, and wait for it...a LAUNCHED WOODEN SHUTTLE! It will also include some new technology from Maurer Rides, and a "behind closed doors" demonstration from Sally Corp! Stay tuned...

I was freaking out all day at school while being barraged with IAAPA tweets about awesome sounding coasters and rides, but not being able to see them. SO WORTH IT! This is awesome coverage... and I am refreshing your video every 5 or so minutes as it should be up soon based on your time frame.

Not to plug another site or anything, but the podcast IN THE LOOP, is doing a nightly podcast covering the happenings at IAAPA, and I believe it spans the next 4 nights, starting tonight.

CLICK ROBB'S LINK! VIDEO IS UP!!!!

Awesome video Robb. I love the Mauree wheels and feel that would fit perfectly on HRRR.