Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Re: Shane's Amusement Attic

Postby wlmoorer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:17 pm

I am always disappointed that I never had the chance to visit this park before it closed...its a shame that Houston (the forth largest metro population in the US) does not have a major regional park!
-------------------------------
Life is a Rollercoaster

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby PortugePunk » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks for sharing these, Shane. I only got to visit AstroWorld once before it closed, but it was such a weird park! I love seeing more about it. I rode Montezooma's Revenge @ KBF today and it reminded me of Greezed Lightnin'!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby disney4me2001 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:03 am

wlmoorer wrote:I am always disappointed that I never had the chance to visit this park before it closed...its a shame that Houston (the forth largest metro population in the US) does not have a major regional park!

Me neither...the sad part is that my grandparents live in Houston and I visit them every summer...and we didn't make it to Astroworld once :(

But does anyone know what happened to each coaster? I know Greezed Lightning is in storage and a couple of them were scrapped, but what about the others? Specifically I want to know about Batman: The Escape and Viper if anyone knows anything.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:31 am

It still astounds me that SF would pull out of the 4th largest market in the US. Not really sure what Kieran Burke was thinking.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:32 am

^^^ Remember that Montezooma's Revenge and Greezed Lightning were both flywheel launched versions of the Schwarzkopf shuttle. Carowinds, Kings Dominion, and the two Great America parks had the older weight-drop version. There was indeed a difference in the ride experience.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:33 am

Worlds of Fun 1981

I always love a good AstroWorld post and yes I am amazed that a market as large as Houston is now without a park. Almost as good as AstroWorld is Worlds of Fun circa 1980's. World's of Fun always seemed a small park that kept up with the big boys. Think about it, they were one of the firsts to feature a Corkscrew roller coaster and then they followed it up with one of the greatest coasters of the early 80's, The Orient Express! Along with AstroWorld they were one of the first parks to feature a waterpark side by side with the theme park.

Well how do you follow up the success of "The Orient Express"??? How about with a Cinema 180? Well not so good as it seemed attendance was never as high in the 80's as when the Orient Express opened. I am still trying to understand why Cedar Fair took that ride out. The park has never been the same since Cedar Fair took it over...It has become a stip mall park like the rest of the other Cedars.

Here's a look back to the year 1981 and what the park had to offer.

Enjoy
Shane
wof1.jpg
wof2.jpg
all the new additions for 1981. A Cinema 180 and a few games.
wof3.jpg
here are some interesting WOF facts.
wof4.jpg
wof5.jpg
News!
wof6.jpg
wof7.jpg
more fun facts
wof8.jpg
wof9.jpg
wof10.jpg
wof11.jpg
wof12.jpg
wof13.jpg
wof14.jpg
I loved this little magazine the park produced.
wof15.jpg
wof16.jpg
wof17.jpg
wof18.jpg
wof19.jpg
wof20.jpg
wof21.jpg
wof22.jpg
map 79.jpg
map from 1979
Orient Express 1.jpg
Orient Express
Orient Express 2.jpg
Orient Express 3.jpg
Orient Express 4.jpg
Orient Express 5.jpg
Orient Express 6.jpg
Last edited by ernierocker on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:26 am.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:44 am

want more Worlds Of Fun? I have more press releases and brochures for the parks 15th and 20th anniversary coming up soon!
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Olsor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Very cool as always, Shane.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like WoF moved the park entrance at some point. Anyone have a year for when that occurred?

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby adamico2 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:55 pm

[/quote]
But does anyone know what happened to each coaster? I know Greezed Lightning is in storage and a couple of them were scrapped, but what about the others? Specifically I want to know about Batman: The Escape and Viper if anyone knows anything.[/quote]

I do know that Batman is currently "in storage," and by "in storage" I mean sitting in a field across the street form Darien Lake, fully exposed to the elements.

Pubic hair eating champion of the world!

Location: Planet Earth...which I *think* is somewhere in the Universe

Postby mightbeawannabe » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:26 pm

^^They didn't move it. The removed the Americana entrance, or the main one. It was located where the pier thingy to the Grand Prix is now. Screamroller would be on the right as you enter. The Scandinavian entrance was the lesser entrance, but now it's the only WoF-exclusive one.

Does anyone know the year? Perhaps the year prior to the construction/opening of the Grand Prix?
Hi. I'm a signature. You were looking for the guy right above me. Everyone thinks he's more important...sob...he says he's Postal or something like that.

People must really like their mail.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!