SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 133: Aquatica San Diego to become Sesame Place San Diego!
Users viewing this topic: grsupercity and 17 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
TPR's Favorite Beaner

Re: NEWS: SeaWorld San Diego announces new Sea Turtle attrac

Postby RCFreak » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:47 pm

It looks like a Huss Airboat to me, but it's a pretty small concept art so I could be wrong.

I'm sad that the proposed launching coaster will probably never happen, but I'm glad they are at least still trying to improve their line-up of exhibits and attractions.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby PAL » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:08 pm

The NIMBYs are powerful around Mission Bay, despite the fact the park was likely in place long before they moved into the neighborhood. They've got a their city council rep on board, routinely complain about the park's fireworks and any potential ride noise, and I suspect there's a PETA influence too. On top of stringent zoning and the Mission Bay Park master plan, Sea World also has to deal with the California Coastal Commission. They are buried in red tape. I wouldn't ever expect to see anything built taller than Atlantis.

Do we know where they're adding the turtle exhibit?

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:45 pm

This looks great! Can't wait for 2011 to roll around and a replacement for the manatees to arrive....Wonders of the River stunk, so hopefully this will be a good replacement.

I am glad to see them do this after what they did to the Dolphin Show....honestly, it was the worst show I'd ever seen. Not much marine life, just a bunch of bad acting and random acrobatics coupled with a horrible story.

As for the 2014-2015 coaster.....the only way I see ANYTHING being built (I regularly visit) is if it's compact or doesn't rise very high, and completely enclosed. That is the only way I see anything being built. (Enclosed Jet Rescue Anyone?)

I've been astounded at the complete lack of support for Sea World... seeing as it attracts a large nunber of people to San Diego, and brings in revenue for not just the park, but for surrounding businesses as well. Sea World and Belmont are classic San Diego attractions being driven out of business by greedy city council members who seem to think the economy isn't effecting anyone. :roll:
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Eh, at least I'm not a Jew!

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:47 pm

We have InBev to thank for haulting the Premier that was on track for this year. The park had even held the flamingos from breeding two seasons ago to keep the population stable in anticipation of moving their exhibit. It's safe to say the NIMBY's are terrible around most parks, but they are a special breed of terrible down in Mission Bay. On top of all the other environmental red tape that was mentioned above. But at least they don't still have to deal with that psychotic hippie leatherface demon city council member, Donna Frye, who would try to stop them from constructing another drinking fountain let alone a decent roller coaster.

It's too bad for SWC. I know I'm in the minority of people around TPR that still really like the park having gone there a lot as a small child but I hate to see them keep getting the shaft ride wise while the rest of the parks have left them in the dust. It makes me even more bummed that BGVN was never given a chance to expand before it was shuttered. I assume the turtles are taking over the former manatee home. I'm sure it will be very nice as are most of their exhibits!

Plus it will finally give Robb a reason to visit which means we're making a Pizze Port run!! :b
SWC2010.jpg
Proposed layout
SWC20100.jpg
Aerial view
BGVN.jpg
Busch Gardens Van Nuys before the current brewery was expanded
-Dan
"Life is an astounding journey"

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby PAL » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:06 pm

^I marathoned that flume in first grade while mom and pops kicked it in the beer tasting pavilion. Good times!

Mmm, Pizza Port. Thumbs up for the O B Chronic.

Leatherface is not so tasty. She's still there in SD Council District 6 so far as I know.

Eh, at least I'm not a Jew!

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:51 pm

Someone told me she termed out?

Either way, I'm sure the sea turtle exhibit will be very nice. But as far anything "sizable" coaster wise goes, I think there's a snowballs chance in hell we'll ever see it in San Diego...
-Dan
"Life is an astounding journey"

Postby SoCalCoasters » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Dan wrote:Someone told me she termed out?

Either way, I'm sure the sea turtle exhibit will be very nice. But as far anything "sizable" coaster wise goes, I think there's a snowballs chance in hell we'll ever see it in San Diego...

Let's hope hell freezes over then :p

Anyway, like I mentioned before, something small like an enclosed version of Jet Rescue is the largest size coaster I see them adding in the near (next 10 years) future.

And who wouldn't like a Jet Rescue type ride for SW SD if its enclosed and away from the water. No one can complain it's too big, or say it will produce large ammounts of noise.

On a side note, when I first saw the concept art for the flatride, I thought it was a Zamperla Air Race (the topper was what lead me that conclusion) and was like "OMG AIR RA.....crap its just a spinning flat". One of those could also do well in the park. Riptide Rescue will appease me for now. When this exibit/flatride opens, you can expect me to be in the parking lot two hours before opening. Plus I'll have opening day photos . Hey, it's the first time they've added something that wasn't remodeled (the flat) in years. That, is something to celebrate. It is a step in the right direction.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:36 pm

I would definitely be in for a SWC/Pizza Port run!

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:11 am

I'm more excited for the Sea Turtle exhibit than I am Beaver Hunt at Busch Gardens!

As for a Pizza Port run, I need no excuse to go there, and now that there are 4 of them that's even more reason!
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

Postby SoCalCoasters » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:18 pm

It's been pretty much confirmed by Huss on their website, an Airboat is coming to Sea World San Diego:

Additionally, a custom-themed Airboat ride will be delivered to a US- based group for an installation in California. The strong family appeal of the Airboat with its spinning, twisting and swinging ride movements will be beautifully underlined with a maritime-related decoration as part of HUSS Park Attractions delivery scope.

http://www.hussrides.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=122&Itemid=186

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!