Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 645 - Batman: The Ride Roller Coaster for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Re: NEWS: Three injured at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby chadster » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:36 pm

And just when you think accidents can't get any stranger, wham, you get smacked by a gate that some fool was probably playing on. What a shame.

Flap, Flap, Flap. I'm a sexy girl!

Postby davisal771 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:01 pm

After watching that video and seeing that kind of tram, I'm even more confused. How hard would this gate have to be pushed to cause serious injuries? This is incredibly baffling and no news station has any more information...
Coasters: 33, 31 steel, 2 wood Park count: 10, Elitch Gardens home park... :)

|Facebook!|

Creator of terrible wallpaper.

Postby Thelegendarymatthew » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:20 am

It is a shame when accidents happen to an amusement park. It really is! Its kind of the norm to always say that you feel sorry for them or there familys or something, which I do. Its just that events like this happen every day, maybe not in an amusement park, but they happen.

Still upsetting though.
In all honesty, I hate this username.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby PAL » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:46 am

I was just at this park a week or two ago. It seems likely the gate was one that blocks entrance to the tram service road where it meets the main parking area. Does anyone know?

There's a lot of foot traffic there, as well as an employee to direct and stop traffic when the tram is moving from the loading zone into the behind-barriers service road.

It isn't an ideal road alignment.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Fire2box » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Wow, this is my home six flags park. The place is great asides the parking lot is really half a mile freaking away from the main gate, at least 4 times longer then the parking lots at Magic Mountain and the pricing is insane. Plus since they are pretty much half animal park you don't get straws or lids for fountain sodas.

But seriously, I could never imagine people getting this hurt from the transportation tram.

oh also.. every time I been there in 2010, the trams take forever just to pick up new people to take to the park.. like a whole 8-15 mins. Edit: I'll take a picture of the gate I think it was next time, I'll even see if they locked it now, I always thought they did.. but I guess they want to save money as much as they possibly can.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby WFChris » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:58 am

All sentiments aside, did anybody else get at least a chuckle when they noticed that the fire correspondents name (for a Six Flags incident) was 'Tweety?'

Chris

No conversation is safe around me!

Postby Columbia » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:26 am

PAL wrote:There's a lot of foot traffic there, as well as an employee to direct and stop traffic when the tram is moving from the loading zone into the behind-barriers service road.

It isn't an ideal road alignment.

That's for sure - the road wasn't really designed for what they're using it for, but for the most part (99.99% of the time) it seemed to do. Entering or exiting the park during peak hours it's an absolute bottleneck if you decide to walk the .5 mi.

Ideally, the park would be better off with a monorail opening up the area to transport guests more efficiently, but "ideal" is sometimes one of those "Pie in the sky" propositions. ;)
TPR's unofficial resident wordsmith

Site Admin

Sky Screamer Coming to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby robbalvey » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:11 pm

http://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKingdom/rides/SkyScreamer.aspx

SkyScreamer comes to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in 2011.

This new swing ride will take you up, up and away high over the park, with your feet dangling and hair blowing.

Towering at 150 feet above the ground, SkyScreamer will be as high as the park's tallest roller coaster, Medusa. Grab a friend and sit two across in an open air swing as you climb to the top of SkyScreamer tower while spinning round and round. At full swing, you'll soar in a 98-foot circle at speeds over
43 mph. By day, you'll have a bird's eye view of Shouka the killer whale in her pool or the tigers lounging in their exhibit. By night, SkyScreamer will light up the night as its lighted arms whirl high above the park.

SkyScreamer will open in Spring 2011.

Height Restrictions - min. 48"
Height -150 feet
Speed - Over 43 mph
Swing Distance - 98 feet
Manufacturer - Funtime
Introduction - Spring 2011

Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:11 pm.

Bubbles!

Re: Sky Screamer Coming to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby ParkTrips » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:14 pm

the more real star flyers, the better! 150' seems kind of small, smaller than the portables. Stupid height restrictions

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Re: Sky Screamer Coming to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby 1pizza14 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:15 pm

ANOTHER ONE!? Wow this is TRUELY the year of starflyers! Looks like a great addition

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!