Linnanmäki Discussion Thread

P. 24: "Taiga" Intamin launch coaster announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Linnanmäki Discussion Thread

Postby Hhappy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:33 am

Just wanted to add the following image from the park regarding next years ride/addition.

There's also some gossip at a dutch board at the moment that it might be the ride from Skyline park since that one has been up for sale for some time...
Time will tell
linnanmaki1.jpg
announcement in the park
I'm dutch.. not much i can do about that
My coasters/parks and other stuff photo's

It all started with a donkey

Postby the ghost » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:56 pm

^^ It seems somehow Dave has been working with Linnanmäki. Thats the only explanation I can think of for a kids dinosaur heavy metal band! That is AWESOME!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Anac0nda » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:45 am

SkyLoop has a name!

A naming contest was held for the SkyLoop, and the winner is Ukko. Ukko translates as "old man", but the reason for this particular name is that Ukko is also the god of gods in Finnish mythology, Kalevala. There are already a few rides themed or related to Kalevala, such as Salama, Hurjakuru and Tulireki, and thus Ukko continues that theme. See wiki for more info about Ukko (the folklore one ;) )

There were over 20 000 proposals given for the name, the winner received a VIP-card and with it he gets two wristbands free of charge every day during the summer 2011. Not too bad for a prize, don't you think? :p Here you can also find the top 70 of the other competing names. They are Finnish, though, as the conditions for the name was to be Finnish and one-piece.

Postby Anac0nda » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:47 am

(Sorry for double posting.)

Supports have arrived! http://www.rcdb.com/m/9206.htm?p=31568 Interesting colour don't you think? But due to Linnanmäki being in a middle of a city, the demands for minimum disturbance in the city's skyline are critical and have to be met. Can't wait to see the colour of the track! :b

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby hobbit » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Construction
1c7tadrnussgdu13uo002n.jpg
5s900avp9nevrj21nn4fr0.jpg

Ukko's trackwork is complete!

Postby Anac0nda » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:36 am

Trackwork is now complete! (most of the pictures were taken by my friend Matias Laine)

See RCDB for more pictures.

Too bad Linnanmäki doesn't open until the 30th of April, but you bet I'll be there with my friend Matias! :b

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby freefallXL » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:57 am

Anac0nda wrote:SkyLoop has a name!

A naming contest was held for the SkyLoop, and the winner is Ukko. Ukko translates as "old man", but the reason for this particular name is that Ukko is also the god of gods in Finnish mythology, Kalevala. There are already a few rides themed or related to Kalevala, such as Salama, Hurjakuru and Tulireki, and thus Ukko continues that theme. See wiki for more info about Ukko (the folklore one ;) )

There were over 20 000 proposals given for the name, the winner received a VIP-card and with it he gets two wristbands free of charge every day during the summer 2011. Not too bad for a prize, don't you think? :p Here you can also find the top 70 of the other competing names. They are Finnish, though, as the conditions for the name was to be Finnish and one-piece.

Thank you for the explaination. And the links! :b
When I was there in 2009 in my summer holiday, I really liked it. Especially "Vuoristorata" (the wooden coaster) spread an incredibly good smell of wood (in my memories).
The colors of Ukko look really good and I think it is a nice addition to the skyline of the park. The name fits perfectly to the ride, the park and also to Finland (i think).
It is very impressive, how all the roller coasters and flat rides fit into the park. I hope, i can go to there this year =)
..whatever it is. It´s worth it :mickey:

Postby Anac0nda » Sun May 01, 2011 3:19 am

Linnanmäki opened it's gates yesterday but due to some reasons (I'm betting my money on too tight schedule) Ukko will not open to public until May 27th. Nonetheless I was still there to take pictures and enjoy the rest of the park. I was lucky enough to see the apparently first complete testrun on Ukko! It went smooth and was completely silent. Even the lift chain made no sound at all. They didn't run more than one testrun, though, but this seems like a good start!

Ukko fits nicely and doesn't feel crowded at all. The only thing I don't get is the graphics. Ukko seems to have this "super-hippy-rainbow"-ish style which doesn't fit the ride at all in my opinion. I guess I'll just have to adapt. The queue area length also seemed way too short, but luckily there's room to expand after the queue area ends.

Onto the pics:
IMGP0025.jpg
Ukko dominates the skyline
IMGP0029.jpg
The pride queue
IMGP0030.jpg
There will be another sign holding information about restrictions, but you'll have to settle for this for now, Larry ;)
IMGP0037.jpg
It's sexy and twisty
IMGP0043.jpg
The exit area, though not finished yet
IMGP0050.jpg
All we need is a train
IMGP0054.jpg
There it is!
IMGP0057.jpg
I'll be back in a month to ride you!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun May 01, 2011 9:26 am

Did we confirm that this is a new Sky Wheel? And that they didn't take out the one at Skyline in Germany that was for sale?

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby Mario M. » Sun May 01, 2011 11:39 am

It's a new one ;) a friend of mine rode the Sky Wheel @ Skylinepark yesterday ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!