TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

Man, it seems that most of the Parks on the North East trip are getting new coasters next year.

I doubt you will see this for the begining of the 2011 season if the park is only in the planning stages, but I've been surprised in the past.

Good point, i just realized the article says nothing about 2011, and its just in the title.

Bad thread title if you think it's for 2011. I would expect the land to be cleared, approval already given if this was going to be for next Memorial Day. Probably 2012?

Well I know SFNE hasn't gone and asked for approval to build the mouse yet, sure its just a mouse but still they need the approval.

Canobie has opened things on July 4th weekend in the past, so it is possible, thats why I put 2011. The park has been hinting at a new family looping coaster for a while now. Plus being compact its easy to put up. I do see it happening in 2011, but not debuting right on Memorial Day weekend like most coasters. I've been hearing its likely going to be a Rage clone.

Stupid local regulations. I wonder how much money the amusement park industry wastes each year just in trying to get approval to build rides. "Hi, yes, we'd like to compete.. Huh? you need a permit for that?"

Probably not much money! Most construction is subject to building regulations.

Bad thread title if you think it's for 2011. I would expect the land to be cleared, approval already given if this was going to be for next Memorial Day. Probably 2012?

Well I know SFNE hasn't gone and asked for approval to build the mouse yet, sure its just a mouse but still they need the approval.

Canobie has opened things on July 4th weekend in the past, so it is possible, thats why I put 2011. The park has been hinting at a new family looping coaster for a while now. Plus being compact its easy to put up. I do see it happening in 2011, but not debuting right on Memorial Day weekend like most coasters. I've been hearing its likely going to be a Rage clone.

Well really what does SFNE need to build? They still have the concrete slab for TDK (albeit, under turf for that football game)don't they? If so, they could probably get approval in Feb/March and make it for a Memorial Weekend opening fairly easily.

The park is much further along then they are letting on. The theme and design is all set. they just need permission to start.

I have been staying on top of this on the Whalom forums. ( http://s6.zetaboards.com/New_Whalom_Park/topic/8679007/1/?x=0#post8004458 ) The coaster will be a compact 320+ model that was reconfirmed to day in a news report released today. The theme was also announced which confirms what I was given. The theme will be White birch themed supports with dark green track.

As for what the park has to go though. Canobie spends a lot of money to get attractions and expansion build. In this case they had to Fly reps to Europe to get measurements form an existing 320 model to have exact decibel measurements to give the city.

Here is a link to the news article.

Canobie Lake coaster plans

SALEM – The Planning Board will consider the addition of a new roller coaster at Canobie Lake Park tonight, in what is the amusement park's first major request of the town in three years.

The new roller coaster, which is called the Gerstlauer 320 Compact Euro-Fighter ride, would stand 75 feet tall at the peak with a footprint of about 150-by-200 feet on a grassy section near the park's Yankee Cannonball roller coaster, according Salem Planning Director Ross Moldoff.

Plans show the compact coaster to be about a third of the size of the nearby Yankee Cannonball, he said, with a dark green track held up by columns made to look like birch trees.

During tonight's meeting, Moldoff said he will show the board a video of the proposed coaster.

To find a similar coaster to study, park consultants had to travel to Duinrell park in Wassenaar, Holland, according to a report from Harris Miller Miller & Hanson Inc., a Burlington, Mass.-based noise and vibrations consultant.

In August, consultants measured the sound produced by the coaster during off hours, recording an average noise of 45 to 46 decibels from 220 feet away, according to the report. At Canobie Lake Park, the nearest property line sits 220 feet to the east of the proposed coaster site.

Town regulations say the coaster is not to exceed 55 decibels between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. at nearby residences.

According to the Harris Miller Miller & Hanson report, the Euro-Fighter coaster is about a quarter as loud as the typical steel or wooden coaster because the steel rails are filled with sand to dampen the sound and vibrations as the wheels move along the track.

The coaster is intended to replace the similarly compact Galaxy Coaster that was removed several years ago, according to plans.

Vanasse and Associates, a transportation engineering firm from Andover, Mass., has also been hired to complete a traffic study, which is expected to be delivered to the town in the next few weeks.

An initial memo between Vanasse and town staff indicates the new coaster is not expected to increase traffic to the already congested area.

In 2007, Moldoff said Canobie Lake Park staff last came to the town with a site plan change request to expand a "fairground style" parking area. After several meetings, that request was granted, he said.

The Planning Board will review the proposal at its regular meeting tonight at 7 p.m. in the Knightly Meeting Room at Salem Town Hall.

saginawhxc - If is a great addition. The coaster fits in without exceeding the parks height requirement. It's also the first addition without replacing another ride in 7 years. the park can use the extra capacity . the park pulls an attendance on par if not higher Lake Compounce. It also adds to the Ride count which exceeds that at SFNE.

larrygator - while I hope your right. I don't expect to see it go down too much. Cannonball will still be the parks king and the new coaster will draw in new guests. Especially since it's the biggest NE addition announced so far. with so many dissatisfied over SFNEs mouse we might see many some of them migrate to Canobie similar to that seen in 2005 when they jumped their prices.

Montuman99 - It will be located in teh back, Northern section of the park. Next to the Canobie Mall in the Ball field/Picnic grove. I will have a photo of the ride position posted by tonight on the Whalom forums. I will make sure to announce it's posting.

If it's going in the same spot as the former Galaxy Coaster one could presume that the coaster could be done by next Summer? Crossing my fingers that I could get my first Eurofighter credit on the NE trip next year.

It is not goign into the spot were Galaxy was. teh coaster wouldn't fit in that spot. At this time Xtreme Frisbee operates on that plot within the park. The coaster is going into the old ball field that is currently used for a picnic grove. The land is flat and Canobie has equipment on site form a previous Screeemfest project.

I just posted the station art as well as the Themeing/lot proposal on the Whalom forums. The coaster will be build at the mouth of the field entrance between USA Mission and the Canobie mall. The coaster will then run along the side of the Canobie mall in what is now open field/picnic grove.

check the out:

s6.zetaboards.com/New_Whalom_Park/topic/8679007/1/#new

This is a great thing for Canobie! I live very close to the park and have been going there forever. It's still one of my favorite parks. I went this past Labor Day weekend and thought the park could really use something else at this point. The Cannonball is still so much fun, but the Corkscrew is definitely showing it's age - even more than usual. I know it's a family park, but it's just screaming for a new coaster. This is going to be a perfect fit and I'm excited that they are finally giving the park some much deserved coaster love!

Once again, another Euro Fighter! These really do seem to be the "stylish" coasters for parks to build these days. I guess it does fit the bill for a lot of smaller parks: lots of thrills and twisty bits, (possibly) crammed into a small area, and packs a punch. Can't wait to ride one.

True it is bigger then Sponge Bob. which will help in its draw.

let1gre - While it is a popular coaster, which is the case with the company right now. The coaster wills till be extremely unique. depending on opening day (expected for May) it will be the 3rd to 4th to open in North America.

update:

the approval has been postponed pending a traffic study!

I've been waiting for this day for years! Finally my home park is getting a new coaster. This'll show SFNE and their new Mouse

I'll Second this motion.

I'm sure canobie has a non compete claws which is why they are getting a used mouse instead of the Euro fighter they disused a few years back.

• 3 weeks later...

Canobie Lake Park has announced "Untamed" for 2011, if you're a fan of Ride Entertainment Group on facebook they posted a picture of the banner that says "Coming in 2011... Untamed" In the background there is a clear shot of a Eurofighter type lifthill. Looks like a great addition for that park, good name, theme and layout!