Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

P. 130 - Six Flags 2019 Announcements
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Bankruptcy & Restructuring Discussion Thread

Postby ginzo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:17 am

Bring in the bean counters...
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:59 pm

kenshinmac wrote:Is it just me that gets scared when I see phrases like "outstanding track record of shareholder value creation" in press releases like this? It doesn't sound good for visitors IMHO.

Yeah,we heard all these same things about Snyder & Shapiro & look how that ended up.

I was hoping they'd keep Webber as he at least has some experience within the themepark industry while this new CEO,like Shapiro has no firsthand experience.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Houston Thrills » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Snyder/Shapiro wasn't half bad, actually. They obviously could stop the landslide that Story, Burke & Co. started, but I think they did a decent job of improving the parks. Weber wasn't doing anything differently, aside from cutting showtimes, from what I hear.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:35 am

August 16th Conference Call notes

And Questions and Answers from the Call

Sorry, I can not post the entire transcript so you'll have to click on the links.

Copyright policy: All transcripts on this site are the copyright of Seeking Alpha. However, we view them as an important resource for bloggers and journalists, and are excited to contribute to the democratization of financial information on the Internet. (Until now investors have had to pay thousands of dollars in subscription fees for transcripts.) So our reproduction policy is as follows: You may quote up to 400 words of any transcript on the condition that you attribute the transcript to Seeking Alpha and either link to the original transcript or to http://www.SeekingAlpha.com. All other use is prohibited.
Last edited by larrygator on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:43 am.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Six Flags New Management

Postby Chroniq » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:43 pm

I'm sure others have followed the SF bankruptcy/restructuring/firing/hiring saga. I've seen these issues frequently discussed in park specific threads, but felt, given the recent events, that it deserved its own thread.

To an uniformed outsider (me), it appears that Six Flags is going back to it's pre-shapiro-redzone era. The last management regime believed in taking these regional parks and adding theming, branding and intellectual property (+Terminator, -Ad Wraps on Coasters). The current management team appears to be in dissaray and is having trouble with such mundane things as fact checking press releases (SFOG I'm looking at you). Yes the new team hasn't had a huge amount of time to implement any significant changes, but the changes I've seen so far have not been particularly postive.

So here is a thread to discuss this more intelligently than I've started to. Thoughts?

Chris "seriously did a search for an existing post this time" Connolly
Tram Credits: 13502 Find me here: Chris Con

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby ghost007jas » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:55 pm

Their new CEO (Jim-Reid Anderson) has appointed a new CFO and General Counsel. Press release:

Six Flags Entertainment Corporation Announces John Duffey to Join Company as Chief Financial Officer and Lance Balk to Serve as General Counsel

DALLAS, Sept. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Six Flags Entertainment Corporation (NYSE: SIX), the world's largest regional theme park operator, today announced that John M. Duffey has been named Chief Financial Officer of Six Flags and Lance C. Balk has been named General Counsel of Six Flags. Both appointments are effective immediately.

"I have previously worked with both John and Lance and I know that they will be outstanding additions to the Six Flags team," said Jim Reid-Anderson, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Six Flags. "Both John and Lance have proven expertise in helping companies achieve their full potential following a successful financial restructuring. I am very much looking forward to collaborating with them to enhance the theme park experience for our guests and to continue improving the Company's financial and operational performance."

Jeffrey Speed, former Chief Financial Officer of Six Flags, is leaving the Company to pursue other opportunities. Also, as previously announced, James Coughlin, the Company's former General Counsel, entered into a consulting agreement with the Company effective July 28, 2010.

John M. Duffey

Mr. Duffey previously served as Executive Vice President and Chief Integration Officer of Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics, and was responsible for leading the integration of Siemens Medical Solutions Diagnostics and Dade Behring. Prior to Dade Behring's acquisition by Siemens AG, Mr. Duffey served as the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Dade Behring Inc., where he negotiated and led the company through a debt restructuring and entry into the public equity market. He was instrumental in realigning the company's cost structure, leading to significantly improved profitability, cash flow and debt profile overall. Mr. Duffey holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Accounting from Michigan State University.

Lance C. Balk

Mr. Balk previously served as Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics. Prior to Dade Behring's acquisition by Siemens AG, he served in the same capacity at Dade Behring. In these roles Mr. Balk was responsible for global legal matters. Before joining Dade Behring, Mr. Balk was a partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP, where he co-founded the firm's New York corporate and securities practices. Mr. Balk holds a JD and an MBA from the University of Chicago, and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy from Northwestern University.

About Six Flags

Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is a publicly traded corporation headquartered in Dallas, Texas with 19 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. Six Flags Over Texas, the company's flagship location, was founded in 1961 and will mark its 50th anniversary season in 2011.

SOURCE Six Flags Entertainment Corporation

Sounds like he wanted guys he had already worked with in his company. Nothing really shocking here, but I thought it was worth posting.

Vote in the Coasterdom Coaster Championship every M/W/F!

Re: Six Flags New Management

Postby Chroniq » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:59 pm

From the Top....

Jim Reid-Anderson -- Current CEO of SIX---Is known in the corporate world as a business turn around artist. Subtracting his six month tenure at Apollo (a buy-out company with holdings in theme parks like Universal and Legoland and who also recently attempted to buy Cedar Fair) his main experience is with large companies that sell directly to other businesses. Business to Business corps flourish with tight fisted CEO's. If we've learned one thing about theme park companies, they need a big dreamer with business accumine to be a success. His recent move of hiring former Siemens execs (his former company) is disconcerting.

Postby Chroniq » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks to whoever moved this.. I'll start here and try too keep people awake.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:39 am

http://www.learningmarkets.com/News-Feed/2010092047388/six-flags-entertainment-corp-attracting-bullish-investors-six-ccl-rcl.html

Six Flags Entertainment Corp. (SIX) [Chart - Analysis - News] established a new 52-week high yesterday at $42.99. Clearly investors are enthusiastic about the firm's prospects. The rally was accompanied by higher than average volume, which adds to the momentum behind yesterday's move.

The question is, can SIX continue moving higher? The stock has gained 27.62% during the past month, has a price-to-book value of 1.5 and a PEG ratio of 0.

Studies have shown that investors who buy stocks after hitting yearly highs during a bull market achieve higher average returns that the broad market indexes. This is a great example of the trader adage that "the trend is your friend." However, these historical results are based on large averages---and some bullish momentum in the market. It is much more difficult to say whether SIX, as a single stock, will continue to hit new highs. But for the time being, things look promising.

SIX competes in the General Entertainment industry with Carnival Corporation (CCL) [Chart - Analysis - News]---the largest firm in the industry group---and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL) [Chart - Analysis - News], who have returned 8.72% and 10.01% during the past month, respectively. SIX is likely to be sensitive to its competitors so future weakness in the General Entertainment industry could be an early warning sign that things might be turning around.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Cockroach and rat free since 2002!

Postby Bolliger&Mabillard » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:36 am

according to The Signal, Magic Mountain laid off 10 full-time employees. I know all the parks got hit pretty hard, but I look at this as a direct result of replacing all those park presidents.
"...and SuperKing, the best one of the three!"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!