Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 969 - Lone Star Revolution Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Five babies drowned in a fire

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:13 pm

Well the whole 1961 era Cadillac makes sense since that was the year the park opened and it's a celebration of the 50th anniversary. The longhorns are just another park of Texan heritage, so I'm sure the locals won't mind the way it looks. If they're going to jazz the trains up, might as well do it by incorporating park/state history into it!

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Zingoman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:58 pm

^My sentiments exactly! :lmao: I think I'll love it. Working headlights?

So this week's progress lies mostly in ledgers and a little hardware. Drive wheels are installed in the station and work has started in the brake run as well (was being started last weekend actually). On to the photos!
TPR IMG_2997.jpg
First of all, if anyone wonders about how high the flood waters got from the flooding a on the 9th, you can see the waterline on Giant's banners just along the top of the words "THE WORLD'S STEEPEST BANK"
TPR IMG_3002.jpg
Here we have a drive wheel
TPR IMG_3003.jpg
If you are nuaghty enough to keep looking up Giant's skirt you will see several of these beauties.
TPR IMG_3006.jpg
here is the extended brake run. If I were to guess, I'm thinking that this part will have magnetic brakes, and the entire covered portion will be retractable tire drives. You can see the retracting mechanisms being installed from the rail road however it's too difficult to photograph through the bushes.
TPR IMG_3007.jpg
"That which we do not speak of's" last bunny hill looks a smidge tighter than it's former self. I approve!
TPR IMG_3011.jpg
They have the ledgers in for most of the hill. Looks familiar and makes me smile.
TPR IMG_3009.jpg
A few more ledgers have gone up for the first "overbank" (not sure this one will make it into the overbank category though)
TPR 3016.jpg
another angle from the Oil Derrick
TPR 3015.jpg
a last look at the latest work from the tower
TPR 27 Texas Giant refurb demo September 19.png
Here on the diagram there is a LOT of progress actually. A lot of the progress can only be seen from Titan's lift. The ledgers are completely installed up to the midcourse, and a few more have gone in for the big overbank next to the first drop, there is some newly replaced structure before the final bunny hill and the posts have been set with the wood blocks for the ledgers to be installed on, drive wheels are in the station, and a bit more track has gone in on the back side leading into the big overbank. All these ledgers surely mean that track will be flying up soon, however they hadn't touched the section leading into the brake run before and yet it's suddenly tracked so who knows?
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:41 pm

I've read in a couple of places that roughly 15% of Giant's layout will be modified.

So... lift hill is higher, drop is steeper, double-up into first turn, first turn modified, second turn modified, third turn modified, double-up into midcourse.

That seems like pretty close to 15%, wouldn't you think? Maybe they're going to get the first part radically new, then leave the stuff after the midcourse pretty much like it was?

If so, I'm loving that idea. I'm hoping to be at Lone Star Coasterthon next weekend and one of the perks is supposed to be a tour of the construction site. I'll take lots of pics and ask as many questions as I can.

Postby Zingoman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:30 pm

^I'll definitely be at that event with a friend and I'm dieing to find out what kind of info they will reveal to us about the project.

At this point far more than 15 percent of Giant is different. I'm thinking the layout difference of 15 percent doesn't mean the overbanks, and bunny hills. Those are all profile changes. A layout change would be something like the helix is removed. I do hope it isn't though. Just coming over the lift one time then straight into the finale seems like a lot to cut from the ride. I do like the idea of the second half staying the same though, but more speed in the helix would be great!
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

Postby BrandonR » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:32 pm

I think it'd be cool if the helix started out like the old double helix but by the time it made two rotations it was at ground level. A downward spiral with ever-increasing speed would be fun right before the magic carpet. :)

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby odene497 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:45 pm

This is looking more and more gorgeous. I've never been to Texas, but might need to make an effort next year.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:11 pm

BrandonR wrote:I think it'd be cool if the helix started out like the old double helix but by the time it made two rotations it was at ground level. A downward spiral with ever-increasing speed would be fun right before the magic carpet. :)

I couldn't disagree more.
One thing I really liked about the old layout was that little slowdown right before the finale - it was kinda like Giant was saying, "ok, take a deep breath, here... we..... go!"
To barrel down a spiral and right into the finale would take away the contrast you get from that little lull in the action then the maelstrom of intensity that followed.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:43 am

^ plus, at an exagerrated speed - the ending that shall not be named might actually give someone an anyeurism. Seriously - it was amazing, just as it was. I remember, after riding, thinking, "WTF was that and how long till I can do it again?"
:devil:

David

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 am

jynx242 wrote: I remember, after riding, thinking, "WTF was that and how long till I can do it again?"

That's what she (or he) said.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:11 am

^ I see that my reputation preceeds me :devil: . That CERTAINLY is what he said.

David

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!