TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

at sfot they've raised the prices for next year 5 -10 dollars, not much to yell about since they give out 20% off for being a SP holder this year for hitting them up 5 times. One thing they are doing now is if you buy 4, you get free parking next year, not sure if the same holds true at other parks, these prices are good thru last operating day in Janruary 2011, then they go up.

The park on fb gave a clue to an article from The Onion where Lady Gaga kidnapped Commissioner Gordon. The park gave an update saying Batman & Robin would attempt to rescue the Commissioner with the help of ANOTHER superhero. I think the Riddler would give Lady Gaga a good run for the money.

Great Adventure to add new roller coaster

JACKSON — Six Flags Great Adventure plans to add a new, 15-story roller coaster to its stable of thrill rides.

The new ride will be named Green Lantern, after the DC Comics superhero, and will be the 12th roller coaster featured at the park, park officials said Wednesday.

The theme park plans on a public unveiling of Green Lantern in the spring, according to spokeswoman Angel Aristone. The opening of the coaster also will coincide with the release of a motion picture based on the Green Lantern comic book character.

Designing the structure will be the Swiss-based company Bolliger & Mabillard, an engineering consulting firm that specializes in coaster construction.

Bolliger & Mabillard also is responsible for designing roller coasters such as Nitro, Bizarro, Superman-Ultimate Flight and Batman the Ride … all featured attractions at Great Adventure, park president John Fitzgerald said.

"Six Flags is home to many of the biggest roller coasters in the world, and Green Lantern brings an all new dimension of thrills,'' Fitzgerald said in a statement.

Officials said Green Lantern will stand 154 feet tall and reach speeds of up to 63 mph.

The newest coaster will offer a 2 minute ride and will begin with a 45-degree vertical drop before rocketing riders through five inversions … including a 121-foot-tall loop, a 103-foot dive loop and a 72-foot inclined loop.

Six Flags Great Adventure is home to Kingda Ka, considered the tallest and one of the fastest coasters in the world.

Green Lantern will be located in the boardwalk section of the theme park, Aristone said.

Keith Ruscitti: 732-557-5748; kruscitti@app.com

http://www.app.com/article/20100915/...roller-coaster

This sounds pretty cool. Nice to hear that SF is giving the whole Batman/Superman thing a rest for a moment, and giving another superhero a chance to shine. I've been hoping to see Great Adventure for the first time at some point in the future, and this gives me yet another reason to try.

The Asbury Park Press leaked either Kingda Ka or El Toro or both the night before the announcement in the past.

I don't know anything about The Green Lantern but I do know about the Riddler.

The most important thing: my 10 hour drive is now reduced to 40 minutes to ride a great standup!

greenlantern.jpg.848297a636aa6a53b4e741e31b794669.jpg

Six Flags Great Adventure Announces "Green Lantern" for 2011

Six Flags Great Adventure Announces Extreme Thrill Coaster Slated for 2011

Thrillseekers will “stand-up” to their fear with GREEN LANTERN

DC Comics’ Super Hero GREEN LANTERN will focus the might of his Power Ring at Six Flags Great Adventure in 2011 with the launch of an exciting new thrill ride. Towering 15 stories high with over three quarters of a mile of twisting green steel, this new stand-up coaster will take riders on a journey of epic proportions.

Standing 154 feet tall and reaching speeds of 63 mph, GREEN LANTERN will rank among the tallest and fastest roller coasters of its kind anywhere in the world. Unlike traditional seated coasters, GREEN LANTERN is designed to allow passengers to stand erect throughout the entire course of the ride that delivers an experience unlike any other. The two minute and thirty second thrill begins with a pulse-quickening 45-degree vertical drop before rocketing riders through five inversions – including a 121-foot-tall loop, a 103-foot dive loop and a 72-foot inclined loop, climaxing in twisted double corkscrews.

Guardians of peace and justice, the GREEN LANTERN CORPS is a group of intergalactic police officers charged with the protection of the universe. A GREEN LANTERN must be someone who has the ability and willpower to overcome great fear. Recognized as the greatest member of the GREEN LANTERN CORPS, HAL JORDAN was the first Earthman ever inducted into the Corps. and also became a founding member of the JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA. Green Lanterns are outfitted with a weapon unlike any other in existence, a ring that channels pure willpower in the form of solid green energy that can manifest any construct the bearer imagines. First published by DC Comics in 1941, GREEN LANTERN currently appears in over 100 comic books distributed worldwide annually. GREEN LANTERN has also appeared in Warner Bros. animation, home videos, interactive games and will star in his first feature film, “Green Lantern,” starring Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively, slated for release on June 17, 2011.

“Six Flags is home to many of the biggest roller coasters in the world and GREEN LANTERN brings an all new dimension of thrills. Built by B&M (Bolliger & Mabillard) the design wizards behind Nitro, BIZARRO, SUPERMAN-Ultimate Flight and BATMAN the Ride, GREEN LANTERN is guaranteed to deliver a smooth, white-knuckled adventure – but this time standing up while upside down,” said John Fitzgerald, park president.

GREEN LANTERN is the perfect addition to the park’s unique coaster collection and will join 12 other adrenaline-pumping coasters at Six Flags Great Adventure, including the tallest, fastest coaster in the world, Kingda Ka; the monstrous wooden coaster El Toro; and mega coaster Nitro. The new coaster is slated to debut Spring 2011 in the Boardwalk section of the park.

For more info:

http://www.sixflags.com/greatAdventure/info/info_greenlantern.aspx

http://www.sixflags.com/greatAdventure/rides/greenlantern.aspx

DC Comics' Super Hero GREEN LANTERN will focus the might of his Power Ring at Six Flags Great Adventure in 2011 with the launch of an exciting new thrill ride. Towering 15 stories high with over three quarters of a mile of twisting green steel, this new stand-up coaster will take you on a journey of epic proportions.

Standing 154 feet tall and reaching speeds of 63 mph, GREEN LANTERN will rank among the tallest and fastest roller coasters of its kind anywhere in the world. Unlike traditional seated coasters, GREEN LANTERN allows you to stand erect throughout the entire course of the ride that delivers a ride experience unlike any other. The two minute and thirty second thrill begins with a pulse-quickening 45 degree vertical drop before rocketing you through five inversions – including a 121-foot-tall loop, a 103-foot dive loop, a 72-foot inclined loop climaxing in twisted double corkscrews.

Guardians of peace and justice, the GREEN LANTERN CORPS is a group of intergalactic police officers charged with the protection of the universe. A GREEN LANTERN must be someone who has the ability and willpower to overcome great fear. Recognized as the greatest member of the GREEN LANTERNS CORPS, HAL JORDAN was the first Earthman ever inducted into the Corps. and founding member of the JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA. Green Lanterns are fitted with a weapon unlike any other in existence, a ring that channels pure willpower in the form of solid green energy that can manifest any construct the bearer imagines.

GREEN LANTERN is guaranteed to deliver a smooth, white-knuckled adventure – but this time standing up while upside down!

Edited by robbalvey

Even though we've known Chang has been coming to GAdv for months now, I'm absolutely thrilled to finally see an announcement. I must be in the minority, but I absolutely love Mantis and Riddler's Revenge, and I can't wait to ride the middle-child of the three big B&M stand-ups.

I wonder if they'll be themeing it appropriately? Even something like the buildings on Bizarro would at least give the appearance of being in a new sort of 'area' within the ride. They used the backstory for the Green Lantern in the press release, so hopefully they'll try to actually incorporate it into the ride...

This will look really cool from the parking lot with that color scheme^! My qualm with this ride's installation is that if they theme it in the same manner that they themed Bizarro, will the two rides be too similar? Either way, I can't wait to return next summer and ride this and Superman!

Seems like Six Flags is really skimping on the animations and concept art this year. Regardless, this will be a really good addition to Great Adventure's already stacked lineup, and should look great as you walk up to the park. As far Six Flags parks go, I'd say Great Adventure is the park with the most comic-book theming right, since they have Batman, Bizarro, Superman, Green Lantern? Now I'd just like to see a Joker's Revenge drop tower...