Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Gimme Some Candy!

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:29 am

^I totally agree with your comments on Rebel Yell - I rode it on 5/1 and it was still fantastic, and then I rode it at the end of August for ECB and it was ridiculously painful. And Hurler is a piece of junk. And I love Grizzly. Basically, I agree with your entire post, except for I still put I305 in my Top 10 (out of ~150). But that's not important. What is important is the fact that there was a Gay Day at KD yesterday, and I wasn't aware. Damn!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:13 pm

coasterfreak101 wrote:^I totally agree with your comments on Rebel Yell - I rode it on 5/1 and it was still fantastic, and then I rode it at the end of August for ECB and it was ridiculously painful. And Hurler is a piece of junk. And I love Grizzly. Basically, I agree with your entire post, except for I still put I305 in my Top 10 (out of ~150). But that's not important. What is important is the fact that there was a Gay Day at KD yesterday, and I wasn't aware. Damn!

Which side of RY did either of you ride? I thought both sides have been running rather smoothly this year compared to how bad it was just a couple seasons ago.

Cracka lacka licious

Postby JEAPUgrad » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:04 am

^Standing on the center platform which is the exit for both sides, I rode the left side, which becomes the right side going up the lift hills.

All I want is a chainlift!

Postby pkdcoaster » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:04 pm

Have not seen this posted yet but Google Earth just updated their satellite images of KD taken sometime this past summer.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.838440,-77.443310&spn=0.003192,0.002951&t=h&q=Kings+Dominion@37.838440,-77.443310

Busch Gardens got the treatment as well
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.233980,-76.648160&spn=0.003192,0.002951&t=h&q=Busch+Gardens+Williamsburg@37.233980,-76.648160

Still no birds eye view for either though :?r

JEFF
KDsat1.jpg
KDsat2.jpg
Actual Coaster Count: 402

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Intimidator 305/ Fury 325
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby jjune4991 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Haha, did anyone notice the two trains on Griffin really close to one another?

TPR Trip: InimidaTOUR
TPR Bash: East Coast Bash (2010), Busch Gardens Bash

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:58 pm

I always thought that Dominator's cobra roll was oddly shaped, but man. That aerial really proves it!

I also rode on the same side as JEAPUgrad. It was great in May, but not so much in August. Regardless, I love how close it gets you to I305! Almost as close as that backstage tour! :)

Oh, here's something I've never understood about RY: the transfer tracks have a blue train on the red side, and a red train on the blue side. Does anyone have any idea how that makes sense?
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

I get wet for Manta!

Postby themeparkman25 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:40 pm

^^Haha, that is funny. I wonder how Google takes it satellite images where trains would appear to be that close together?

^ I disagree about the "weirdness" of Dominator's cobra roll. The image wasn't taken directly above the ride as it appears to be slightly to the east/right of the park. As in, the camera wasn't directly down on the ride, and was shooting more to the west. Make sense? If it was shooting straight down, than Alpengeist has one terrible looking cobra roll as well.
Follow the construction of my Manta Model!.*
1/16/12 - Construction Complete!
*Model is being build from scratch.

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:24 pm

coasterfreak101 wrote:I always thought that Dominator's cobra roll was oddly shaped, but man. That aerial really proves it!

I also rode on the same side as JEAPUgrad. It was great in May, but not so much in August. Regardless, I love how close it gets you to I305! Almost as close as that backstage tour! :)

Oh, here's something I've never understood about RY: the transfer tracks have a blue train on the red side, and a red train on the blue side. Does anyone have any idea how that makes sense?

I guess they just wanted to have one red,one blue running on each side when in single train mode.The park has always run one of each color on both tracks for years.

All I want is a chainlift!

Postby pkdcoaster » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:58 pm

The park refers to the different sides of Rebel Yell as the North side and South side now, not red and blue (I believe that is a coaster fanatics thing).

JEFF
Actual Coaster Count: 402

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Intimidator 305/ Fury 325
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:06 pm

pkdcoaster wrote:The park refers to the different sides of Rebel Yell as the North side and South side now, not red and blue (I believe that is a coaster fanatics thing).

JEFF

Yeah,they've been using that terminology since switching the north side to forward running trains.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!