Photo TR: Disney's Typhoon Lagoon

Crush 'n' Gusher posted.....Page 4. TR complete!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
WDW Monorail Fanatic

Photo TR: Disney's Typhoon Lagoon

Postby BeemerBoy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:57 pm

On a recent trip back home to Florida, Shannon and I hit up Typhoon Lagoon. This was a first for her, and oddly only the second visit for myself, with the only other one in 1991. So needless to say, I was anxious to get back and check out the one major installation since the park's opening over twenty years ago.

While the age old debate over which is better will obviously continue (Blizzard Beach vs. Typhoon Lagoon), to me, it shouldn't even be a question. One's not really any better than the other, they're just different. If you're leaning towards thrills, visit BB. If you like some thrills mixed with a more leisurely atmosphere, head to Typhoon Lagoon.

I will say that adding the master blaster slides to TL DOES make a difference though. While they're not the lengthiest slides in the world, all three certainly deliver really fun rides, with plenty of airtime!

Anyway, we arrived about 15 minutes prior to opening (10am), and there were about 20 cars in the lot! Because of this we were able to get almost all of the attractions done, including about 5 runs on Crushin 'n' Gusher, and a fifteen minute picture run around the park before we broke for lunch around one o'clock.

And speaking of that picture run by yours truly, let me just say this. I decided to bring my digital with me to get most of the out-of-the-water shots, and brought one of those disposable waterproof cameras for the in-water shots. With that said, FUJI Film SUCKS. Seriously, I took a Kodak waterproof disposable with me in 1991, and most of those shots came out just as good, if not better than the present day stuff!! So kids, today's lesson....stick with Kodak.

I'll quit yapping, and get on with the pics. If you're debating which park to visit on an upcoming trip, I hope this report helps in some way, shape, or form. Enjoy!

Shark Reef
Crush 'n' Gusher
tl overview.jpg
The park, as seen by Google Earth.
1.jpg
Important note: Even if, like us, you pick a time of the year with minimal crowds, arrive early, and grab a lounge chair on the beach right away if that's your thing. As the park begins to fill up, the beach chairs become a hot commodity.
2.jpg
Prices as of 9-9-10.
3.jpg
It's not always that a Wildcat or a Cane willingly poses with a gator. Cherish this picture.
4.jpg
You can buy an "all day" souvenir mug here for $10.75.
4a.jpg
I don't recall how many of these there were throughout the park, so let's just say I remember close to a handful of them scattered around.
4b.jpg
And this is how it works. Simple stuff, really.
5.jpg
6.jpg
Here's that view, circa 1991.
7.jpg
And here it is today, in 2010. Little different, no?
8.jpg
A closer look at the park's center point....the massive wave pool, and "Miss Tilly," sitting atop the highest peak.
9.jpg
10.jpg
Honestly, I'm not sure how much these cost.
11.jpg
But here's what they look like.
12.jpg
We rented a large fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo for $15, and upon returning the key, we were offered a choice between a souvenir travel mug, or the $5 deposit refunded. I have enough cups to drink from, thanks.
13.jpg
14.jpg
This is where they bury lost children, with cleverly placed plastic beach toy headstones.
16.jpg
These work pretty well.
15.jpg
17.jpg
*Dislcaimer* To avoid any awkward moments (or ignorant questions), this picture was snapped just as an attendant finished clearing out the space, and confirming to me that NO ONE was in there. Thank you.
Disney water parks provide pretty good shower and changing areas.
18.jpg
This is the main gift shop near the entrance to the park, and alongside the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo and dressing room. You purchase your fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, and return your key in here.
19.jpg
Mini Donuts! I didn't have any, but they sure smelled great.
19a.jpg
The most important information on this board is the wave times.
21.jpg
And this clock, which can be seen from much of the park, is a great way to plan your wave pool visits.
20.jpg
As you enter the main portion of the park to your right, this is the first of about 4 areas where you can enter/exit the lazy river.
22.jpg
The Leaning Palms Restaurant. Counter service, with burgers, beer, pizza, etc.
23.jpg
The lazy river passes by some outside seating near the restaurant.
24.jpg
Typhoon Lagoon, can be a little tricky to navigate for the first timer, so there is plenty of signage around the park.
25.jpg
Interactive theming example: the props on the railing can be turned to direct the spray towards passengers on the lazy river.
26.jpg
More theming. And who doesn't love more theming?
27.jpg
And now on to our KidTums portion of the show. ;)
28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg
40.jpg
These kiddie tubes were priceless.
38.jpg
A couple of their faces as they reached the rapids section were hilarious!
39.jpg
41.jpg
All in all, I think TL has a pretty good kiddie area.
42.jpg
This is one of two single rider tube slides. Unfortunately, it's also really lame.
43.jpg
This is the longest slide in the park, and definitely a thousand times better than Keelhaul Falls.
44.jpg
I didn't grab many actual slide pictures of these two, so a general queue pic will have to suffice.
44a.jpg
Wait, here's a POV of one of them, circa 1991.
45.jpg
A small snack shack located near the tube slides. I think there's a drink refill station here.
46.jpg
You can also buy small bottles of cheap wine here, among other things.
47.jpg
48.jpg
And the last of the tube slides in Gangplank Falls, the family raft ride. This one was probably my favorite of the three slides in this area.
49.jpg
See, she's enjoying it at this point. We won't mention the scrape she got from my toenail when the raft suddenly, and unexpectedly clipped the wall and sent my foot into her back. Ahh, good times. :(

There's much more to come. Stay tuned!
Last edited by BeemerBoy on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:21 am.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Re: Photo TR: Disney's Typhoon Lagoon

Postby ebl » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Nice report of a park that doesn't get much attention, actually. For some reason I thought this park had closed, but I realized that it was River Country.

The WDW water parks aren't included on the Park Hopper tickets, are they? But is there a Park Hopper just for water parks?

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:10 pm

EBL wrote:Nice report of a park that doesn't get much attention, actually. For some reason I thought this park had closed, but I realized that it was River Country.

The WDW water parks aren't included on the Park Hopper tickets, are they? But is there a Park Hopper just for water parks?

Eric

Park Hoppers can be purchased with or without water parks included. Of course, including the water parks costs a little more.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby YoshiFan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:10 pm

There is a Water Parks and more option, I think it's $52 to add to your tickets and you get 1 admission per day of your tickets (so a 7 day ticket is good for 7 admissions), the admissions also work for Disney Quest, Wide World of Sports and possibly 1 other thing.

Nice pictures, I have never been to Typhoon Lagoon but it looks better than Blizzard Beach to me.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:24 pm

Both times I've been to WDW, I've only had the regular Park Hopper and didn't even look into adding the water parks. Next time I go, I'll look into it.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks, guys.

By the way, it rained for about 10 minutes that day. During the rain shower, I heard countless people say something to the effect of, "Maybe we should leave. Those clouds don't look like they're going anywhere anytime soon."

Hot Tip: those people are foolish. Don't be like them.

Moving right along.....
50.jpg
A look at the wave pool before heading to the other side for the body slides.
51.jpg
From here, you can continue along the lazy river, or.....
52.jpg
....TAKE THE TUNNEL.

Okay, I guess they're both technically tunnels, but, um, yeah.....anyway.
53.jpg
Tunnel (by foot).
54.jpg
Oh yeah, you could also take that bridge. And besides catapult, helicopter, and jetpack, I'm pretty sure that covers all the ways you can get to the other side.
27630019.jpg
See? Bridge.

You're not looking at the bridge, are you?
55.jpg
56.jpg
57.jpg
58.jpg
And finally, the other side of the wave pool.
59.jpg
The park has plenty of more "secluded" areas to set up camp besides the main wave pool area.
60.jpg
61.jpg
Looking back at "Miss Tilly," and the location of the park's speed slides.
62.jpg
This is the nearest exit to the body slides area of the park.
63.jpg
The name for the park's top thrill slides.
64.jpg
65.jpg
I'm not sure when the changes were made, but there were originally only two slides, and they were both uncovered, as seen here. (1991)
66.jpg
Somewhere along the line, they switched to three identical enclosed slides. While obviously not as jaw dropping as Summit Plummet at Blizzard Beach, I think they're still rather fun.
And look how much the foliage has filled in over the years! I love how lush and tropical this place is.
66a.jpg
Again, 1991.
67.jpg
68.jpg
69.jpg
And 2010. My apologies for the apparent blurriness caused by water over the lens. Or maybe the camera just really does suck that bad?
70.jpg
Next up were the Storm Slides - three traditional body slides.
71.jpg
The queue up to the top had a couple of these nice touches along the way.
73.jpg
Theming!
74a.jpg
As with Humunga Cowabunga, at the top, you get a good view of Miss Tilly.
74b.jpg
It also provides a nice view overlooking the wave pool towards the front of the park.
74.jpg
Anyway, back to the slides.
75.jpg
I LOVED this system with the universal traffic light thing. Somehow it actually worked REALLY well. It slightly renewed my faith in human behavior.......briefly anyway.
76.jpg
77.jpg
78.jpg
This was the middle one. It was our favorite of the three.
27630014.jpg
This picture is there for dramatic effect. Pretend it's the most amazing water slide in the world, and the picture works better. Trust me.
79.jpg
80.jpg
81.jpg
82.jpg
Well, they're no longer cutting edge, but for what it's worth, I think they're still pretty fun.

Up next: Shark Reef!

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby moinab » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:37 pm

I much, much, much prefer TL over BB. We had the FL resident 2 Parks after 2 deal, one year. I think we went to BB once, and TL the rest of the time. The kiddie area is far superior at TL, IMO. And I'll never go on Summit Plummet, so Crushin' Gusher FTW! :lol:

Christian and Rhiannon LOVED that little tube ride in the kiddie area!

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:44 am

I found typhoon lagoon to be a much more enjoyable day than Blizzard beach. While I like Blizzard Beach's attractions and slides a bit better its such a haul to get to the top of that mountain that for every slide that it feels like you spend the whole day walking (and waiting in line). Plus Typhoon Lagoons monstrous wave pool, and the snorkel exhibit are pretty unique.
I think both Disney water parks could use another major slide or 2. My problem with water parks in Orlando (and everywhere else really) is that every time I visit I have one of 2 experiences; on a crowded day your spend your entire day waiting in line (all water slides are relatively low capacity), and on a slow day you you can ride every slide multiple times within about 3 hours and basically conquer the park and be bored the rest of the day. The solution to both problems is more attractions. Wet n Wild is by far my favorite water park in Orlando. I think their collection of slides is far superior, and while it lacks atmosphere and theming, I can ride and re ride their slides all day and not get bored, and they have enough attractions that on a busy day the lines don't get that bad.

Postby jynx242 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Thanks for posting these! I never - ever go to the waterparks in Orlando, and I have absolutely no idea why. LOVED the dramatic effect picture as well. I'm going to have to make it a point to get there next year.

David

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:49 pm

TL is still my favorite water park...and I don't much care for water parks. I think it's the fact that you can find a nice quiet spot and not really even know that you're in a park. I love the snorkel tank as well.

And, that was a lovely shot of the suspension bridge. :butt:

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive