Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillrider » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:21 am

Why would greezed lightning be imposable to maintain?

Knotts has one that is running.There is also a whole rides worth of parts for it sitting down in Texas for sale right now.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Solid Gold » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Maybe Impossible is way too harsh, but looking at the case against its reopening...

5 of these coasters have closed this decade (3 in Japan, Astroworld, and Great America). The one in Texas has been rotting in a field for 5 years. Turbine at Walibi has also been SBNO this season (Noise concerns I think though?). That makes 5/12 of these gone or in critical condition, 2 more SBNO. There are also three more operating that have been moved from their original location, for whatever reason (Probably just becase they're cheap to move).

While I would take one Shwartz Shuttle loop for 50 Vekoma Boomerangs, they are 30 year old rides and I am under the impression no one is creating cheap parts to keep these open. For a park that is planning on keeping whole sections of the complex closed in order to save money, the chances they keep the ride really don't look good from the outside.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby DOCTOR DOOM!!! » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:52 pm

thrillrider wrote:Why would greezed lightning be imposable to maintain?

Knotts has one that is running.There is also a whole rides worth of parts for it sitting down in Texas for sale right now.

These are Flywheel models! Greezed Lightnin' is a weight drop model! All of the parts were coming from the former Tidal Wave/Greased Lightning at California's Great America, which is now in SFDK's parking lot!
Life is such a effin rollercoaster then it drops,
But why should I scream for, this is my theme park!

Blank Title

Postby Sean Menefee » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Tidal Wave has been moved out of SFDK's parking lot for years now. The only parts remaining at the park are the old hand rails/walkways backstage near Kong. As I recall they're welded to stacked storage containers.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:45 pm

While I would take one Shwartz Shuttle loop for 50 Vekoma Boomerangs, they are 30 year old rides and I am under the impression no one is creating cheap parts to keep these open. For a park that is planning on keeping whole sections of the complex closed in order to save money, the chances they keep the ride really don't look good from the outside.

Bingo. It's not that these rides can't be maintained...it's the cost to do so that is the problem. Pretty much everything on the ride now must be custom machined every time it needs to be replaced.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:44 am

I don't care what kind of coaster it will be, as long as it's not a woodie. The two big coasters left in the park hurts to ride and roller skater just doesn't cut it. I would still ride those two (maybe all three for credits) coasters because I like them both, but I think the park needs a new and smoother roller coaster.
Right now all I can say is that I am shocked at what the park is getting. Ed Hart does seem like he knows what he's doing, but I can't really say that until I can see what he's going to do with this mess to clean up.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Postby DOCTOR DOOM!!! » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:51 am

Sean Menefee wrote:Tidal Wave has been moved out of SFDK's parking lot for years now. The only parts remaining at the park are the old hand rails/walkways backstage near Kong. As I recall they're welded to stacked storage containers.

Prolly cause it's all merged in with Greezed Lightnin' now!
Midgetman82 wrote:I don't care what kind of coaster it will be, as long as it's not a woodie. The two big coasters left in the park hurts to ride and roller skater just doesn't cut it. I would still ride those two (maybe all three for credits) coasters because I like them both, but I think the park needs a new and smoother roller coaster.
Right now all I can say is that I am shocked at what the park is getting. Ed Hart does seem like he knows what he's doing, but I can't really say that until I can see what he's going to do with this mess to clean up.

I'll take a woodie if TT goes! If it doesn't, i still wouldn't mind a woodie too much as long as it's on the scale of Voyage/Prowler/Boulder Dash which may be a little hard cause KK is flat! I do love woodies though... I do believe a woodie at this point would work out better than a steelie! I think a steelie should be added 2-4 years down the line but woodies are more "family friendly" IMO

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:24 pm

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100910/NEWS01/309100004/1003/business/Developer+wants+$50M+bond+issue+for+Kentucky+Kingdom+to+help+spark+economy

The Kentucky State Fair Board will be asked next month to consider a $50 million bond issue to help upgrade and reopen the Kentucky Kingdom amusement park next to the Kentucky Exposition Center.

Developer Ed Hart, who was designated in May by the fair board as the park's preferred operator, said his proposal calls for park revenue to pay off the bonds over the next 20-plus years, covering an annual debt of about $3million. He said the park's reopening is dependent on a public-private partnership. He described the state's contribution as an investment in a community facility worth about $200million.

Among Hart's plans are spending $20million to add a major ride and to double the size of the water park. “My goal is to see Kentucky Kingdom flourish again, and it can. It will pay for itself,” said Hart, who headed a group that owned Kentucky Kingdom from 1988-97. He sold the park in 1997, for about $80million, to Six Flags, which closed it early this year.

Six Flags has filed for bankruptcy in Delaware. The court is expected soon to approve agreements with the fair board under which Six Flags would end its obligations for the park.

In an interview earlier this week, Hart said he will submit a business plan and a proposed lease for operating the park when the fair board meets in October.

Fair board president Harold Workman said the bond issue and the investment in the park make sense, but would require General Assembly approval in 2011. He noted that a new state-funded economic impact study found that the return on the investment would be “pretty significant, a little better than I thought it might be.”

The $50,000 study done by the AECOM consulting firm and paid for by the fair board and the Kentucky Tourism, Arts & Heritage Cabinet, found that revenue from a reopened Kentucky Kingdom would be around $11million and include more than $1million in annual lease payments from Hart, new tax revenue and money taken in by hotels and restaurants near the fairgrounds. The study said the park's reopening would eventually create about 1,200 jobs, primarily hospitality positions and some construction employment.

Hart said he is proposing that the state spend $8million of the bond money to add a “marquee” roller coaster. (The park plans to keep six existing coasters.) Another $12million would go to expand Hurricane Bay water park, which was renamed Splashwater Kingdom, doubling its size and adding 16 water slides along with four new water towers. Other improvements would include a wave lagoon and a quarter-mile adventure river. Hart's proposal calls for most of the rest of the bond money to cover upgrades of park infrastructure.

Both Hart and Workman said the goal is to have the park reopened by Memorial Day 2011. Hart pledged the reopened park will have free parking, other good deals such as free use of inner tubes, and $1 for all drinks. He said the cost of admission and season passes would be “very competitive” with other regional theme parks. He projected that the park would draw at least 1 million paid visitors in its first full year. Some of that gain would be achieved by sharply increasing advertising in regional cities, such as Cincinnati and Nashville, Hart said. He is proposing an initial annual lease payment to the fair board of around $1.2million. The lease would let Hart rent about 50 acres at the expo center for theme park facilities, with nearly all of the land outside of Ring Road. The proposed lease also would permit Kentucky Kingdom to use about 20 now-vacant acres for parking in the old Ashton Adair neighborhood owned by the fair board. A new park entrance would be developed off Phillips Lane, west of Gate 1. Hart said the business plan will call for him to set aside a “significant sum” every year — a figure he declined to disclose — for investing in new rides and other park improvements.

Chad Carlton, Mayor Jerry Abramson's spokesman, said the theme park would be a major job creator and have a positive impact on the region's economy. “We very much would like to see (the park) reopened as soon as is practical.”

Hart already has paid $3million to the fair board, which under a deal between the board and Six Flags, used $2.35million to give to Six Flags to acquire about 20 acres of amusement park land that Six Flags owns outside the road circling the exposition center. The rest of the $3million will go for maintenance, security and other costs. The state deal with Six Flags is subject to expected bankruptcy court approval.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby DOCTOR DOOM!!! » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:10 pm

(The park plans to keep six existing coasters.)

This is good news., They must be counting Twisted Twins as two coasters! This also means that Greezed Lightnin' and Twisted Twins might be staying, if only not open for the first season!

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:30 pm

DOCTOR DOOM!!! wrote:
(The park plans to keep six existing coasters.)

They must be counting Twisted Twins as two coasters!

1. Greezed Lightnin'
2. Thunder Run
3. T2
4. Twisted Twins
5. Roller Skater
6. Deluge (The park has always counted Deluge in its coaster count.)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!