TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Exhibit A

http://rcdb.com/2.htm?p=29291

PLENTY OF ROOM FOR WHEELS TO GET BETWEEN BOLT PLATES.

Think of it this way. The space between those plates is no less than the width of the steel that runs along the top of traditional wood coaster track. I really don't get how this is so confusing for everyone. Maybe it's just that pictures can't do it justice but take it from those of us who have actually seen it in person, IF the plates stay there is room for the wheels.

Exhibit A

http://rcdb.com/2.htm?p=29291

PLENTY OF ROOM FOR WHEELS TO GET BETWEEN BOLT PLATES.

Think of it this way. The space between those plates is no less than the width of the steel that runs along the top of traditional wood coaster track. I really don't get how this is so confusing for everyone. Maybe it's just that pictures can't do it justice but take it from those of us who have actually seen it in person, IF the plates stay there is room for the wheels.

I don't know the width of the wheels, but I can imagine them being be thinner than the space between the bolts, but how the wheels stay centered through a turn as shown in Exhibit A?

Also, I don't doubt the width between the bolts at least the same as the top of a traditional wooden coaster track, but on a traditinal coaster track isn't there a little tolerance for the the edge of the wheel to hang over the edge of the track just a little maybe an 1/8 of an inch here, but if any part of the wheel hits a bolt you start chunking those wheels.

But hey I'll wait to see how this all plays out, I don't think any of us can know for certain at this point.

I'll wait to see Exhibit B, a picture of the train and wheels going through the area where the bolts are currently located.

Hey, just something I noticed on the Six Flags website. This was posted as a caption of one of the August pictures.

"Crews continue to install track for the first hill and onto the first turn. The first piece of 3D track is installed to allow twisting motion of ride." I'm assuming that since the Six Flags website is typically inaccurate that this means nothing. But It wouldn't be referring to the track already installed, because that track has been there for months already. Maybe a hint about the new Gerstlauer trains? Any thoughts?

http://www.sixflags.com/overTexas/rides/TexasGiant.aspx

Hey, just something I noticed on the Six Flags website. This was posted as a caption of one of the August pictures.

"The first piece of 3D track is installed to allow twisting motion of ride." It wouldn't be referring to the track already installed, because that track has been there for months already. Maybe a hint about the new Gerstlauer trains?

Maybe the 3D track is like the track on the Son of Beast during the loop in the way that the section of track will be all steel instead of steel rails flush with the wood structure.

Overbank action has arrived!! Check it out y'all!

IMG_2406resized.JPG.0c22008393a8336001a9354ecd20963d.JPG

Besides overbanking yum yums they have the handrail pretty close to finished giving the lift that nice illusion of completyness.

IMG_2408resized.JPG.faa18d67f16a57d4de3ac369e523ea1e.JPG

in an effort to further blur the facts in their marketing, they have now UNCROSSED the word "wooden" on the sign. While this validates a few other random statements about the ride, it contradicts just as many.

IMG_2425resized.JPG.c74e7eff07a21cd1315592bea7a5dc41.JPG

Here we have a delicious 95 degree looking banky snack

IMG_2430resized.JPG.7382af3f88628b8902333aead281047d.JPG

not sure how far over this one will be going just yet.

IMG_2431resized.JPG.544b02c603a5a5bd0d7f9f01d5c5b479.JPG

last but not least we have the main course taking shape. The illusive 112/114 degree bank surprise! How funky is this rig? Looks like we have the first half of the ride just about revealed now. What will become of the old midcourse brake stretch is the next big question I'm very anxious to see.

Thanks for the update, Zingoman!

I'm really confused as to where everything is right now (being unaware of some of the Giant's former layout), so I can't wait to see how it all comes together when track is laid.

Needless to say, this transformation is just crazily exciting to watch as it progresses. It seems like there is a new, insane surprise every week!

Wow. I would never have guessed the 114 degree banked turn would have gone on that third turnaround. The coaster will definitely have enough speed there to make that comfortable (assuming no trims). I'm actually most curious to see what happens to the double helixes (or what's left of them) after the old block brakes. I hope they don't shorten the coaster and just completely get rid of them, but who knows?

This coaster is starting to become the "frankenstein" of wooden coasters in my book. But my god, it looks like it will be incredible. I'm also very curious to see just how much that structure is going to sway with all this new extra weight added to it when the train is hauling a**. I'll surely be watching this thing until its complete.

Did a quick search on this and for a thread on SFOT, didn't come up with anything (again quick search) but seen on the news where SFOT was under water courtesy of Tropical Storm Hermine

http://video.aol.ca/video-detail/raw-video-six-flags-over-texas-flooding/415802452

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/090810-hermines-rain-goes-on-and-on

So far, the only two videos I could find.

Edited by SharkTums