Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: Pedrinho and 16 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Re: The Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby PCW_Nut » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:56 am

braztaz wrote:^^

I'll say what I said again, because I don't think you saw it.

By 3 minutes CF usually means the amount of time you're just in your seat. I know they did this with i305. But if that is the case then this might be a short ride!

1 minute and 20 seconds may not seem long, but when your spinning 300ft in the air- yeah it may get a little tiring. 3 minutes is just a rough estimate of how long you'll actually be in your seat, not just the actual ride.

I did see what you wrote...i never said you'd be spinning for 3minutes...I said right from the get go you'd be spinning for 1min20 sec approx and that the ride time was 3min...ride time = total time from start to finish...

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:58 am

PriestofSyrinx wrote:Why does this seem like it was a short term planning period?

Because CF and Mondial kept it a secret!
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

My uncle owns a country place that no one knows about

Postby PriestofSyrinx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:04 pm

^ No, i mean this just sounds like filler to me and something they wouldnt plan three years for...

Maybe it means bigger and badder things for 2012!
Favs: Maverick/Mindbender/Magnum/Goliath/Voyage

Will find a Rush reference in your post, whether its there or not!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Very few multi-million dollar installations are planned as filler at the last minute.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:10 pm

^Unless you're playing RCT.

I like Star Flyers, so this looks pretty good to me.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby braztaz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:15 pm

cfc wrote:^Unless you're playing RCT.

Far too many people think life is as easy as a game. :lol:

Well, now we can only guess at what "Stratosoar" really is.
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:21 pm

Cedar Point has announced that it will introduce WindSeeker, a 30-story-tall swing ride to the Sandusky, Ohio, amusement park/resort for next summer. WindSeeker will tower above everything around its location on the beach, rising almost as high as the Millennium Force roller coaster’s giant first hill.

In the early 1900s, the Cedar Point Beach was a hub of activity as families played in the sand or frolicked in the lake. One of its most popular attractions was the Sea Swings that would dip riders into the cool waters of Lake Erie as it spun in a circular motion.

Now 100 years later, Cedar Point will add a 21st century version of that thrilling ride to the park for next summer.

The new WindSeeker will be a 301-foot-tall tower that will spin riders nearly 30 stories above the Lake Erie shoreline. Seated in two-person swings that will allow their feet to dangle, riders will slowly begin rotating in a circular motion as the swings ascend the tower. At the top, the swings will be reaching speeds between 25-30 mph, flaring out almost 45 degrees from the tower. WindSeeker will be able to accommodate 64 riders (32 swings) at one time.

“Spinning almost 300 feet above Lake Erie and the Cedar Point Beach will be a very exciting ride experience for our guests,” said John Hildebrandt, the vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “Day or night, WindSeeker will provide riders with dramatic views of the park and the Cedar Point Peninsula. It will be an extremely popular addition to Cedar Point.”

WindSeeker will be positioned near the present location of the Ocean Motion swinging boat ride and will extend the park’s midway onto the Cedar Point Beach. At the end of the season, Ocean Motion, built in 1981, will be dismantled. It is currently available for sale.

In comparison to other Cedar Point rides, WindSeeker will climb nearly two stories higher than the cabin on the park’s Space Spiral observation ride and is only a few feet shorter than the first hill on Millennium Force. Another swing ride, the Wave Swinger that opened in Frontiertown in 1979, is 31 feet tall and has a top speed of approximately 9 mph.

The ride is manufactured by Mondial, a 23-year-old Dutch-based company. WindSeeker will cost approximately $5 million to build. Riders must be at least 48 inches tall and will be secured with individual over-the-head lap bars with interlocking seat belt.

Overall, Cedar Point will add more than $6 million in capital improvements to the park for 2011.

_cpws__2011_cap1.jpg
_cpws__2011_cap2.jpg
_cpws__2011_cap3.jpg
_cpws__2011_cap4.jpg
_cpws__2011_cap5.jpg

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Solid Gold » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:26 pm

Anyone want to write a movie called "Attack of the Windseekers" ?

If I had to guess now, on announcement day, I'd say these things end up being a large fail in enthusiast circles (multiple installations of the same ride, experience almost exactly the same, short ride time, limited reridability, could've had a GCI coaster for the same cost), and a mild success for the general public.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Jive » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:32 pm

I am far from disappointed. There are very few flats that I get excited about and if this is 90% as good as a Star Flyer (if not better) then I'm stoked.

Enthusiasts bitched about a 300' speed machine last year so our opinions are kind of meaningless even within our own enthusiast circles.

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby 1pizza14 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:34 pm

hmm.. Cedar Fair must have gotten a VERY good deal on these windseakers... But come on.. you cant think of a different name for each park!?

PreviousNext