Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 969 - Lone Star Revolution Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby texcoaster » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:27 pm

jmicha wrote:^It kind of reminds me of the turnaround on Voyage and how some of it changed during construction, such as the addition of the second 90 degree turn.

I'm curious as to what the structure for the overbank is going to look like since obviously it has never been done on a wooden coaster before. Hopefully it is something that will be integrated into other projects in the future since I don't see why it wouldn't be able to be applied to an all wooden coaster.

It could be possible.... but it won't happen on an all-wood coaster. The track could support it if and only if the train keeps its proper speed and centrifugal force keeps the train pushing on the track properly.
If it stalls during a 112 deg bank, though, then all of that weight changes direction and you're relying on just the upstop rail to hold it all together. The regular track has multiple layers to support the weight and force of the train, but the upstop rail is just the top layer of wood plus a steel runner. While it's possible that it might hold, I wouldn't want to trust my life to it.
Upstop rails work fine for relatively light, very short-time stress, but a whole train hanging from it? Not good.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Zingoman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:01 pm

Texas Giant relied on it's upstops as much as any coaster out there if not for some of the airtime definitely in a lot of the laterals on the curves. The last leg of the ride pretty much had the road wheels in the air on the right hand side of the train. This new track system will be more than capable of holding a train , but it's not going to stall on the overbank. that like saying a ride would roll back on fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo hill. It will be designed with plenty of speed, and I don't understand this catwalk debate.

Steel coasters get inspected too. I am confident that Giant will have catwalks along 95 percent of the ride. Steel track does not mean few inspections. Gemini gets a thorough inspection along its STEEL tracks with CATWALKS twice a week, and they often do find things to work on along the way. Giant will be a far more dynamic ride than Gemini and will most likely have daily inspections along the entire course.
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Zingoman wrote:Texas Giant relied on it's upstops as much as any coaster out there if not for some of the airtime definitely in a lot of the laterals on the curves. The last leg of the ride pretty much had the road wheels in the air on the right hand side of the train.

That's still very different than a stalled train hanging by the upstops. In the laterals, the majority of the forces were sideways, not straight up against the upstops, even in the flying carpet section.

Zingoman wrote:This new track system will be more than capable of holding a train , but it's not going to stall on the overbank. that like saying a ride would roll back on fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo hill. It will be designed with plenty of speed, and I don't understand this catwalk debate.

When things go right, it will of course sail through the overbanked turn with considerable speed. Things don't always go right, though. Wheel assemblies can fail (Expedition GeForce), stuff can get caught up under the train (that pancho on the Eurofighter), and numerous other mishaps that can cause a train to lose proper speed and stall. It's rare, but such occasions have to be considered when designing a ride. It's this very thing that kept the infamous Arrow suspended corkscrew coaster from becoming a reality.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby weetopia2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:24 pm

^Actually what stopped the Arrow Suspended Corkscrew Coaster was the fact that the train required a lethal amount of centrifugal g-force in order to stay perpendicular to the tracks. That was why in the model the corkscrew was about 1/3 the size of the actual drop and the train zipped through it.

Very interested about this project since this could definitely compare to the Intamin Prefabs.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby cb0688 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:15 am

I'll be at SFOT this Sunday....I'll take pics of the progress!

update - Our hotel room overlooks the park and I must say...the drop looks INSANE! :b
Last edited by cb0688 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:54 pm.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby ghost007jas » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Not to be a spammer, but I was able to ask Brian Houser (the guy who was interviewed in the Six Flags Blog a few pages back) some questions about The Texas Giant rehabilitation. I can tell you now that there will be catwalks all around the ride, just like there are now, and they will still walk the ride every morning.

You can read the rest of the questions here. It's a quick read, and the catwalk question is the one most pertinent to this thread, since it was something debated a couple of weeks ago :).

Vote in the Coasterdom Coaster Championship every M/W/F!

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Zingoman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:13 pm

texcoaster wrote:
When things go right, it will of course sail through the overbanked turn with considerable speed. Things don't always go right, though. Wheel assemblies can fail (Expedition GeForce), stuff can get caught up under the train (that pancho on the Eurofighter), and numerous other mishaps that can cause a train to lose proper speed and stall. It's rare, but such occasions have to be considered when designing a ride. It's this very thing that kept the infamous Arrow suspended corkscrew coaster from becoming a reality.

I'm aware that things can go wrong and you have to plan for it. My point is that the new track system will be stronger than the old system, and the old system would have been quite capable of handling such an incident.

Went to the park yesterday and they were in full swing working on the ride. Here are the goods.
TPR1.jpg
A lot of work progressing on the lift. the stairs are done all the way to the top, and work on the handrail is coming along.
tpr2.jpg
the chain trough is going in as well.
tpr3.jpg
they also installed track on the back side behind the black brake! The 3rd drop looks to be about 30ft deeper than the old Giant's. Shockwave has a great view of it, but obviously I can't get shots from there.
tpr4.jpg
A crane was putting up another piece of track just as I got here
tpr5.jpg
Not much going on in this direction but I'm dying to see that 4th drop get installed!
tpr7.2.jpg
got to ride under on the train during some of the action, and you can see the VERY steep new ascent up to where the block brake was. this picture made it difficult to see so I just traced over it with a red line.
tpr8.jpg
also they did this bit of fun to Shockwave
tpr9.jpg
Here is how the sell-out train looks on the course. I liked the Axe look a lot more.
tpr10.jpg
They did try to tie it in with the ride a little though. I can respect that.
23 Texas Giant refurb demo Aug 21 tpr.png
and the latest progress in full. catwalks, and more track on the curves, and from Titan you can see they added more ledgers to the 3rd drop.
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby G$ Kurt » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Nice, thanks for the update!

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Funky Cold Medina » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:29 pm

Very nice. Very very nice. Thanks Zingo!
Toro|Krypton|Giant|Maverick|Volcano|Dommy|Dback|Alpengeist|Beast|Griffon
Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits|Facebook|YouTube

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:29 pm

ghost007jas wrote:Not to be a spammer, but I was able to ask Brian Houser (the guy who was interviewed in the Six Flags Blog a few pages back) some questions about The Texas Giant rehabilitation. I can tell you now that there will be catwalks all around the ride, just like there are now, and they will still walk the ride every morning.

You can read the rest of the questions here. It's a quick read, and the catwalk question is the one most pertinent to this thread, since it was something debated a couple of weeks ago :).

this only makes sense, I'd wrote a few weeks earlier that I thought this would be the case as the giant still has a wood frame which must be inspected regularly, if it were a solid steel structure, there wouldn't be much of a need with the exception of a few key areas, glad that has been cleared up once and for all.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!