Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 324: V.I.PASSHOLDER Perks in January announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

NEWS: Peoplemover name restored at the Magic Kingdom

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:15 am

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Tomorrowland-Transit-Authority/News/05Aug2010-Tomorrowland-Transit-Authority-renamed-to-the-%27Tomorrowland-Transit-Authority-PeopleMover%27.htm

The 'Tomorrowland Transit Authority' has been renamed to the 'Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover'. The original name for the attraction on opening day July 1 1975 was the 'WEDway PeopleMover'. It was renamed 'Tomorrowland Transit Authority' in 1994.

From Disney regarding the name change:

'The PeopleMover ride system plays an important role in Disney history and heritage and it is for this very reason we have decided to restore its name here in the Magic Kingdom. The name change from the Tomorrowland Transit Authority to the TTA PeopleMover is a way for us to link the past with the present, and in turn, guide us into the future. It is a way for all the promise and wonder that the word “PeopleMover” still holds, to carry on into new generations.'
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Star Wars is gay.

Re: NEWS: Peoplemover name restored at the Magic Kingdom

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:30 am

:roll:
O_Rly.bmp

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:12 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/08/‘peoplemover-is-coming-back-at-walt-disney-world/

Not sure whether it’s a case of back to the future or forward to the past or the past meets the present, but: a long-running Tomorrowland attraction is getting a new (well, sort of new) name …

As of today, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, the “super skyway” that allows guests a glimpse of a variety of attractions in Tomorrowland of Magic Kingdom, will be renamed Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover.

The ride opened in 1975 as the WEDway PeopleMover. It has been called Tomorrowland Transit Authority since 1994.

The ride technology, which uses pollution-free linear induction motors, was developed by WED Enterprises (that’s what Disney Imagineering was called back in the day) and was introduced at Disneyland in California in 1967. While the attraction at Disneyland has long been closed, there is a place other than Walt Disney World Resort where guests can experience an application of the WED technology. Any guesses as to where?
wpm115024LARGE.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Re: Magic Kingdom Fantasyland Expansion

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:33 pm

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010/08/disney-parks-chief-fantasyland-expansion-plans-are-being-redrawn/

Disney is redrawing the sweeping Fantasyland expansion plans it laid out last year, even as bulldozers clear land for the project inside the Magic Kingdom.

With the revisions, begun under new Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs, designers are attempting to rebalance the plans, which initially tilted heavily towards young girls by emphasizing attractions and experiences built around Disney’s stable of animated-movie princesses. “We took a hard look at it amongst a number of us and said, ‘Can we make the appeal broader? Can we make it even better?’ “ Staggs said during an interview this week with the Orlando Sentinel.

The Fantasyland expansion is a critically important project for Disney. The Magic Kingdom, the busiest theme park in the world, now draws more than 17 million visitors a year and needs added capacity to ease pressure on crowds inside the park. The project, billed as the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history, also comes as Disney World faces heightened competition from Universal Orlando, where the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter has drawn rave reviews — and enormous crowds — since opening in June.

Staggs declined to discuss specific changes to the Fantasyland plans, saying Disney would unveil them “in due course.”

The original plans called for a lavish indoor ride based on the movie The Little Mermaid, a trio of interactive princess character-greeting areas, an elaborately themed Beauty and the Beast restaurant, an expanded Dumbo attraction for young children, and a vaguely defined fairies-themed area.
Staggs said much of what was included in the original plans will be incorporated into the final product and that the changes are “improving it on the margin.” He characterized the revisions as part of any creative project’s natural evolution.

“Our process is always iterative and always goes through changes as it goes along,” said Staggs, who was the Walt Disney Co.’s chief financial officer when he switched places with parks-and-resorts chief Jay Rasulo at the start of this year. Staggs added: “I believe one of my most important jobs is to make sure that I’m enabling and challenging our creative process to create the best possible result.”

Disney first announced the Fantasyland expansion plans 11 months ago, with Rasulo personally unveiling them during a convention in Anaheim, Calif., for a company-sponsored, $75-a-year fan club. Staggs is now running the theme-park division and Rasulo is CFO following an executive shuffle orchestrated by Disney President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger.

The Fantasyland construction is well underway: Yellow backhoes and mountains of dirt are visible behind temporary construction walls erected inside the Magic Kingdom.

But rumors have been building for weeks that changes were afoot, fueled by reports from a pair of well-known Disney bloggers, Jim Hill of Jim Hill Media and Al Lutz of MiceAge.com.

Company followers say there have been two pivotal developments since the Fantasyland plans were first announced: Staggs was installed as head of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, and Universal opened the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Staggs, who has three young sons, is said to have expressed concerns that the initial plans for Fantasyland were too narrowly tailored to girls. The Wizarding World, meanwhile, has delivered impressive early returns for Universal Orlando since formally opening June 18.

The more than $200 million addition to Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park powered the resort to a 2 percent attendance gain during the second quarter, its first quarterly increase in two years. Attendance at Disney World sank 2 percent during a similar period.

“I think Harry Potter helped” push Disney executives to revisit their approach with Fantasyland, said Lutz, of MiceAge.com. “I think it had an influence to say, ‘Hey, this is something that can be done on this level, and it’s not at a Disney property.’ “

Staggs said Wizarding World has not been a factor in Disney’s Fantasyland plans. “I don’t see evidence that somehow that has changed anyone’s direction or made them think differently,” he said. But he said Disney is trying to broaden the project’s overall appeal. For instance, plans for three interactive princess meet-and-greets — where children could dance with Cinderella, celebrate Sleeping Beauty’s 16th birthday or play a role in a story with Belle of Beauty and the Beast — are being altered. “One of the things that I thought the early design did fantastically was delivered on that princess experience. And that does tend to skew towards girls. … We’ve kept that intact — not exactly, necessarily, the way it was presented, but that appeal is there,” Staggs said. “I think we’ve added some things that aren’t just princess-focused, and that’s a good positive.”

Staggs said planners are also reviewing the Fantasyland expansion with an eye toward blending “aspirational rides” — rides that offer thrills or tension — with attractions designed for guests of all ages. And he said they want to ensure that the additions are flexible and can be updated or adapted over time.

The revisions are not expected to substantially alter the construction timetable; most of the Fantasyland additions are still scheduled to open in 2012 and 2013. Staggs said the project’s price tag will “not materially” change with the revisions, though a slight increase is likely because of certain additions. He would not provide specific figures.

Staggs said none of the changes should be interpreted as an indictment of the original Fantasyland expansion plans. “We had a number of different people look at it and say, ‘Is it accomplishing what we want to from a guest experience standpoint? Is it accomplishing that in a way that is operationally great? Is it as broad as it can be in its appeal?’” he said. “The answer is, it largely did. But we thought we could continue to play with it and make it better.”

Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Magic Kingdom Fantasyland Expansion

Postby bellhop96 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:12 pm

I think that this is exactly what the Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom needs. It will be a vast improvement to a fantastic park. I have seen The Little Mermaid Musical at Disney's Hollywood Studios and found it to be a great hit with everyone. As for Dumbo, it is a classic Disney attraction and in my opinion, the more the better!
I am also looking forward to the Star Tours refurb as it was in need of a refurbishment. =) :)
Stephen Hamilton - Bellhop 96

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby palmerleeberry » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:03 am

Well, that is good to hear, but still . . .

:angry: "WHAT ARE THEY GONNA DO ABOUT THE ONE IN DISNEYLAND (Califonia)?"

Way back in 2000, I visited Disneyland and the attraction that I've enjoyed was a ride called "Rocket Rods" in which you and other riders board a rocket and raced around the old Peoplemover track nearing breaking speeds. A year or two after that visit, Disneyland announced that ride will closed down. :?r

Now I went to Disneyland a week ago (8-6-10) and although the track still stands, nothing is moving on it. All it's doing is standing there and looking ugly. Come on, Disneyland, either restore the ride, change it back to the old Peoplemovers, or just remove the rotten thing: the choice is simple. :x

:pillow: "Disneyland having their Rocket Rods back? That is somthing you can dream about!"

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Re: Walt Disney World's Space Mountain to close for much of

Postby BeemerBoy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:20 am

Update:

Listen up Space Mountain fans, there’s a new addition to the Walt Disney World Resort attraction that just may be music to your ears. It’s an enhanced audio experience with sounds you’ve never heard before. Walt Disney Imagineering has added a new composition that’s exclusive to the attraction at Magic Kingdom Park that will play with varying sound effects throughout all “flights” on 60 newly installed speakers. “Starry-O-Phonic Sound” compliments a slew of enhancements that debuted on Space Mountain last year, including new lighting, storyline elements and updated decor. Here’s a special message from The Space Mountain Project Team.

Link

ADMIN EDIT: I went ahead and added the photo in case anyone gets linked directly to this post. Thanks for sharing this with us!
sm200101LARGE.jpg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:23 pm.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby moinab » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:41 am

I'm trying to convince Rhiannon to go on Space Mountain, when we go in a week and a half. Maybe this will help! ;)

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:09 am

^Did she do Fire in the Hole at Dollywood? It's not as scary as that! Perhaps use that as a comparison.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby moinab » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:35 am

Yes, she did - and she loved it! And she went on Thunderhead twice! And she's been on Tower of Terror!

She has a hang-up about Space Mountain, and anything that goes upside-down, though. We're working on it. My goal is to get her on Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Expedition Everest, these next two trips, and RNRC before our passes expire in January. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!