TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Bay Beach Amusement Park Discussion Thread

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/gb-city-council-approves-coaster

The city of Green Bay is officially getting a roller coaster. Plans were approved at city council Tuesday night. Many are happy about the "Zippin Pippin" but some think the timing may not be right. In about 15 months, you should be able to ride the Zippin Pippin at Green Bay's Beach Bay Amusement Park.

"The fact that this really isn't taking away from other services puts my mind at ease," Ned Dorff of Green Bay told the council. "This will draw in visitors from out of town and it'll be a big boost for our local economy and our local image."

But some question the timing of bringing a roller coaster to Green Bay. "This proposal is not fiscally responsible at this time. It's not 1995. With the uncertain economy, how does local government feel that installing a roller coaster is in the best interest of this community? What will the Zippin Pippin do for the city?" said Green Bay resident Greg Meller. "I think the timing of this is just terrible. It's not the time to be borrowing money to take risk on a roller coaster," said Alderman Guy Zima.

After talking about financing, liability and maintenance, the council approved the plans, 7 - 4.

"This is a great opportunity not only for Bay Beach but really for the greater Green Bay community," said Green Bay Mayor Jim Schmitt. "This is a ride that is no cost to the taxpayers. It's something that is going to strengthen Bay Beach. It's a family-friendly ride and I think something we're going to enjoy for many years to come here."

The city says the Zippin Pippin will be built from 100% new materials. The city is paying about $10,000 for the name, design and history of the roller coaster. It will be paying another $2.5 - 3 million for actual construction. About $600,000 of that will likely come from private donations. The remainder will be paid for through bonds, which should be paid off in 10 years. Schmitt says once it is paid for, the Zippin Pippin will become a revenue source for the city.

The mayor hopes to have the Zippin Pippin up and running when bay beach opens for is 2011 summer season.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not really saving it, just building a new one.

Yeah, seriously. It sounds like it will pretty much just be a clone of the original. Although you know that the park is going to try and advertise it so it sounds like guests will be riding the original Zippin Pippin that was Elvis' favorite. It's a shame that this park didn't get involved in saving the coaster earlier so that the original parts and construction could have been preserved.

They're not really saving it, just building a new one.

Yeah, seriously. It sounds like it will pretty much just be a clone of the original. Although you know that the park is going to try and advertise it so it sounds like guests will be riding the original Zippin Pippin that was Elvis' favorite. It's a shame that this park didn't get involved in saving the coaster earlier so that the original parts and construction could have been preserved.

Even if it is not the oringinal atleast they are saving the idea of the Zippin Pippin! I wonder if Gravity Group is still going to be doing this coaster?

Whenever a coaster that once was defunct now gets a second life, riders and amusement park flyers all over the globe start jumping for joy!!!

before getting blown away.

I bet there weren't a whole lot of people that heard of Bay Beach, but with the Zippin Pippin coming there, that park should expect some extra attendance next season.

"By that last statement you made, do you mean you might go up there and visit that park next season?'

"Well . . . I might, but then . . . I was think of going to either Texas or Florida, but I haven't been to Green Bay before either. Rats, I don't know how to answer a question like that."

"Well, it's simple: you just smile sweetly and say 'NO COMMENT!!!' Nothing too it.

"Okay. No comment. How's that?"

"That was good, but you were too (your favourite swear word here) late!"

I've better end this before the smilies start fighting again.

"You've typed enough, so rest your head on me."

I bet there weren't a whole lot of people outside of Wi that heard of Bay Beach, but with the Zippin Pippin coming there, that park should expect some extra attendance next season.

Fixed. Bay Beach has been around for a very long time, and plays an important part of the Green Bay economy. It stills plays an important role for people everywhere in Wi. For families that want to go to an amusement park, but don't have the money for Great America or the Dells, Bay Beach is where they go. I live about two hours from the park yet most of my friends know about it and many have visited. But when you go back a generation or two, more and more people know about the park. It's part of Wisconsin history and is known and loved by many.

Hands down, new or used, i am just happy i don't have to drive 3 hours for the nearest coaster anymore!!! This will be less than 2 miles from my apartment and will only cost a dollar to ride. It is all good if you ask me! I have been excited about this for years now since my college newspaper first did an article on the original masterplan when it was simply a proposal. Now only have to wait a year!! I can handle that.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.wtaq.com/news/articles/2010/mar/18/its-officialzippin-pippin-belongs-green-bay/

The mayor of Green Bay signed an agreement Thursday to buy Elvis Presley’s favorite roller coaster. Jim Schmitt held a ceremony in which the city officially acquired the rights to the Zippin Pippin. It thrilled Elvis and countless others for years in Memphis, but the wooden roller coaster stopped running when a Memphis amusement park closed down in 2005.

Now, Green Bay will pay $35,000 to acquire the name, the design, and the history of the Zippin Pippin. And they’ll spend $3 million to re-create the classic ride at Bay Beach Amusement Park. Construction will begin this summer – and it’s scheduled to open in May of next year.

Schmitt says Elvis would be proud of the city's purchase. He's looking for private funding for the ride, including, "kids with lemonade stands." Schmitt indicates they're also working on a menu adjustment to add Elvis' favorite food, peanut butter and banana sandwiches, to their concessions.

• 2 weeks later...

^Zippin Pippin at Libertyland was left standing for many years and was deteriorating. Part of it actually collapsed and none (or very little) of the wood was salvageable. So Bay Beach bought the original design and decided to build it from scratch while trying to still keep that "classic" feel for less money than designing a new wooden coaster.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100420/GPG0101/4200538/1978

Green Bay officials have signed a nearly $2 million contract with a consultant to oversee design and construction of the Zippin Pippin roller coaster. Martin & Vleminckx Rides LLC, based near Orlando, Fla., has agreed to shepherd the project starting this summer. The historic wooden roller coaster is scheduled to open in May 2011 at Bay Beach Amusement Park.

Although the consulting deal was signed last week, Martin & Vleminckx already has helped Green Bay procure the mechanical framework of another defunct roller coaster called the Thunder Eagle to build the Zippin Pippin in Green Bay.

Purchasing and refurbishing the secondhand machinery will trim thousands of dollars from the Zippin Pippin price tag, officials said.

City leaders plan to spend $3 million re-creating the Zippin Pippin, which previously operated in Memphis, Tenn., and was renowned as Elvis Presley's favorite amusement park ride. Green Bay parks director Bill Landvatter said Martin & Vleminckx officials were helpful in pursuing the Zippin Pippin purchase from Memphis. Officials are certain the same consulting firm should oversee the project here, Landvatter said.

Martin & Vleminckx partner Chuck Bingham said his company took apart the Thunder Eagle coaster, so officials knew the parts were available. The wooden coaster operated briefly in 2001 in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., before financial difficulties closed the amusement park there. Green Bay has agreed to spend $215,000 purchasing and $182,000 refurbishing the Thunder Eagle's motors, brakes and other mechanics. New parts would have cost at least twice that much, Bingham said, adding that Martin & Vleminckx can attest to the quality of the Thunder Eagle machinery.

"We know exactly what's there and the condition it's in," he said. "All of that equipment will be like new." Using the Thunder Eagle parts and the historic Zippin Pippin design, officials hope to establish a major new attraction at city-owned Bay Beach.

City officials last month finalized the purchase deal, which gives Green Bay exclusive rights to the Zippin Pippin name, design, layout and history. Under its contract, Martin & Vleminckx will provide engineering and design work, acquire all lumber and other raw materials, fabricate the wooden coaster frame, and supervise all construction.

The Florida-based consultants have similarly managed other coaster projects in New York, Arkansas, Texas, Kentucky and elsewhere.

Monty Jasper, vice president of Cedar Fair Entertainment Co., said his Ohio-based company has hired Martin & Vleminckx many times for roller coasters and other projects. He called the consulting firm one of the few outside companies he would trust with virtually any amusement ride need.

"They're kind of a well-rounded group," Jasper said. "They know their p's and q's around wooden coasters and rides in general."

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20104280640

Green Bay city plan commissioners have cleared the way for construction of the Zippin Pippin roller coaster by rezoning the land and easing local height restrictions.

The roller coaster will be located on the west side of Bay Beach Amusement Park on property the city has acquired over the years for park expansion.

The city Plan Commission agreed Monday to rezone the land from residential to public institutional.

Commissioners also unanimously agreed to change the structure height restriction at city-owned Bay Beach from 35 feet to 70 feet to accommodate the new roller coaster.

Both actions must be ratified by the City Council.

• 2 months later...

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100722/GPG0101/7220526/Zippin-Pippin-contract-awarded

Despite concerns that the contractor is not based in Green Bay, the City Council has agreed to award the first contract for the Zippin Pippin roller coaster.

SMA Construction Services LLC of Abrams won the job of building the coaster's concrete foundation at a cost of about $513,000.

The company outbid 10 competitors for the job with a proposal that was more than $100,000 below the city's estimated cost for the foundation job.

Some aldermen questioned whether the high-profile roller coaster project should be reserved for contractors based in Green Bay. But other aldermen noted that the second-lowest proposal would have cost the city an extra $65,000.

SMA Construction is scheduled to begin work in mid-August.

I know it's going to be a replica, but my main concern is that will it run almost exactly like the old Zippin Pippin? Will there be new trains or will they use the old trains?

I thought the old trains had been previously sold at auction by someone who owns some sort of memorabilia location.

--Robb

They were, to some travelling exhibit of some kind. There is a part of me that is still disappointed that the coaster never did get relocated to Roanoke Rapids to the Carolina Crossroads as originally planned back in 2006, although seeing the place in its present state, and knowing that it failed to become anything more than a theater and a huge lot of.......nothing, I believe this is the best case senario for the Zippin Pippin.

-Gary

I know it's going to be a replica, but my main concern is that will it run almost exactly like the old Zippin Pippin? Will there be new trains or will they use the old trains?

I believe it'll run better because it has the Gravity Group behind it.

Quote from TGG's website:

The second coaster on which we are working is the historic recreation of the Zippin Pippin from Memphis headed to Green Bay’s Bay Beach Amusement Park.

We'll see how it all plays out though.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100804/GPG0101/8040618/Zippin-Pippin-coaster-work-begins-soon-at-Bay-Beach

With an eye on beating the winter frost, construction crews will start work Aug. 16 on pouring the concrete foundation for the Zippin Pippin roller coaster.

SMA Construction Services LLC is being paid $513,000 by the city to build the roller coaster foundation by Dec. 3 at Bay Beach Amusement Park.

"We're on a tight time frame, obviously," said Bill Landvatter, the city's parks director. City officials soon will select another contractor to assemble the Zippin Pippin's wooden frame, starting in September.

The city is spending $3 million to recreate an historic attraction that previously operated in Memphis, Tenn., and was renowned as Elvis Presley's favorite amusement park ride. The 70-foot-tall coaster is scheduled for a grand opening in May.

SMA Construction, which underbid 10 competitors for the foundation job, now is seeking city approval for materials to be used. Mike Abhold, owner of the Abrams-based firm, said his crews will begin site preparation next week and start the foundation on Aug. 16. No delays or other problems are anticipated, Abhold said. "Everything's in good shape," he said. "Everything's in order."

City officials, however, are keeping a close watch on the weather in the hope that recent heavy rains will subside.

Jon Mueller, a city engineer, said continuing rainfall could saturate the ground and make it difficult for crews to maneuver around the site. "You've got to be careful with that," Mueller said. "It slows down construction everywhere."

• 3 weeks later...
Ground broken for Zippin Pippin roller coaster in Green Bay

Green Bay Mayor Jim Schmitt joined other city leaders and about 50 supporters today in groundbreaking ceremonies for the Zippin Pippin roller coaster.

The crowd gathered at Bay Beach Amusement Park and cheered the start of a $3 million project that officials hope will draw big crowds to the city-owned park.

The historic wooden roller coaster is scheduled to make its Green Bay debut when Bay Beach opens for the season in May 2011.

It is a recreation of a roller coaster that operated for many years in Memphis, Tenn., and was renowned as Elvis Presley’s favorite amusement park ride.

The project is being funded through $2.4 million in city borrowing and a planned $600,000 in private donations.

Article plus more pictures of the ground breaking on the sidebar (I would post them here, but it looks like I need to buy them or get permission)

You can follow the construction of Zippin Pippin on their new website http://www.zippinpippin.org/ They will be adding a webcam soon. According to the site, construction on the coaster will begin in September and then it will open in 2011.

Groundbreaking.jpg.fd1f9da8d6e1988bb24341d294fe0d05.jpg

Groundbreaking for the Zippin Pippin was held on August 25 at 10:00 AM at the construction site