Bay Beach Amusement Park Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: Green Bay's Bay Beach to get the Zippin Pippin

Postby carolinacaniac » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:24 pm

They were, to some travelling exhibit of some kind. There is a part of me that is still disappointed that the coaster never did get relocated to Roanoke Rapids to the Carolina Crossroads as originally planned back in 2006, although seeing the place in its present state, and knowing that it failed to become anything more than a theater and a huge lot of.......nothing, I believe this is the best case senario for the Zippin Pippin.

-Gary
"Imagine the Crystal Beach Cyclone with a Gerstlauer train!"

Did Medusa in the front and back

Postby atem122 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:20 pm

Band-Aid wrote:I know it's going to be a replica, but my main concern is that will it run almost exactly like the old Zippin Pippin? Will there be new trains or will they use the old trains?

I believe it'll run better because it has the Gravity Group behind it.
Quote from TGG's website:
The second coaster on which we are working is the historic recreation of the Zippin Pippin from Memphis headed to Green Bay’s Bay Beach Amusement Park.

We'll see how it all plays out though.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby CHILLERLC1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:29 pm

I have just went to Dells but I still lack Minnesota. This ride besides the stadium will be another excuse to cut across Wisconsin to Green Bay.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:43 pm

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100804/GPG0101/8040618/Zippin-Pippin-coaster-work-begins-soon-at-Bay-Beach

With an eye on beating the winter frost, construction crews will start work Aug. 16 on pouring the concrete foundation for the Zippin Pippin roller coaster.

SMA Construction Services LLC is being paid $513,000 by the city to build the roller coaster foundation by Dec. 3 at Bay Beach Amusement Park.

"We're on a tight time frame, obviously," said Bill Landvatter, the city's parks director. City officials soon will select another contractor to assemble the Zippin Pippin's wooden frame, starting in September.

The city is spending $3 million to recreate an historic attraction that previously operated in Memphis, Tenn., and was renowned as Elvis Presley's favorite amusement park ride. The 70-foot-tall coaster is scheduled for a grand opening in May.

SMA Construction, which underbid 10 competitors for the foundation job, now is seeking city approval for materials to be used. Mike Abhold, owner of the Abrams-based firm, said his crews will begin site preparation next week and start the foundation on Aug. 16. No delays or other problems are anticipated, Abhold said. "Everything's in good shape," he said. "Everything's in order."

City officials, however, are keeping a close watch on the weather in the hope that recent heavy rains will subside.

Jon Mueller, a city engineer, said continuing rainfall could saturate the ground and make it difficult for crews to maneuver around the site. "You've got to be careful with that," Mueller said. "It slows down construction everywhere."
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Wisconsin Dells Fanatic

Postby traincrossin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:18 pm

Ground broken for Zippin Pippin roller coaster in Green Bay

Green Bay Mayor Jim Schmitt joined other city leaders and about 50 supporters today in groundbreaking ceremonies for the Zippin Pippin roller coaster.

The crowd gathered at Bay Beach Amusement Park and cheered the start of a $3 million project that officials hope will draw big crowds to the city-owned park.

The historic wooden roller coaster is scheduled to make its Green Bay debut when Bay Beach opens for the season in May 2011.

It is a recreation of a roller coaster that operated for many years in Memphis, Tenn., and was renowned as Elvis Presley’s favorite amusement park ride.

The project is being funded through $2.4 million in city borrowing and a planned $600,000 in private donations.
Article plus more pictures of the ground breaking on the sidebar (I would post them here, but it looks like I need to buy them or get permission)

You can follow the construction of Zippin Pippin on their new website http://www.zippinpippin.org/ They will be adding a webcam soon. According to the site, construction on the coaster will begin in September and then it will open in 2011.
Groundbreaking.jpg
Groundbreaking for the Zippin Pippin was held on August 25 at 10:00 AM at the construction site
13 - Gatekeeper
14 - Millennium Force

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby uwgbdork » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:42 pm

I have been meaning to get over there and check out site! Is only like 2 miles from my door. Drove past a few weeks ago but was way to busy to stop!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:49 pm

Does anyone know who is building it? Or if any of the traditional wood coaster companies are helping out with this project?

Wisconsin Dells Fanatic

Postby traincrossin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:59 pm

^The Gravity Group is helping build it. Bay Beach bought the blueprints for Zippin Pippin so they already had the design, but they hired The Gravity Group as consultants and I believe they are helping construct the ride along with Martin & Vleminckx.
13 - Gatekeeper
14 - Millennium Force

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby angryemobeaver » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:00 pm

robbalvey wrote:Does anyone know who is building it? Or if any of the traditional wood coaster companies are helping out with this project?

According to RCDB, Gravity Group is listed under designer (along with John A. Miller), and construction will be Martin & Vleminckx. Also the trains and some mechanical hardware will be used from Thunder Eagle (Race World).
I have a hard time ranking coasters so here are just some of my favorites
|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Voyage|Shivering Timbers|Goliath SFOG|Fahrenheit|Banshee|Mystery Mine|Cornball Express|Cheetah Hunt|

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:41 pm

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100831/GPG0101/100831012/Resch-Center-builder-has-inside-track-on-Zippin-Pippin-job

Now that work on the Zippin Pippin’s concrete foundation is under way, it’s time to pick a contractor to build the roller coaster’s huge wooden frame.

Green Bay city officials will open bids at 2 p.m. today from construction firms interested in the roller coaster assembly job.

Reaching up to 70 feet in the air, the wooden coaster will cover about five acres at Bay Beach Amusement Park.

The $3 million project is a recreation of a roller coaster that operated for many years in Memphis, Tenn., and was Elvis Presley's favorite amusement park ride.

The project is being funded through $2.4 million in city borrowing and a planned $600,000 in private donations. It is scheduled to open next May.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!