Rye Playland Discussion Thread

P. 30: The future(?) amid the squabbling
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: NEWS: Rye Playland being considered for closure

Postby ginzo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:04 am

I'd be bummed to see this place go. It was a lot less ghetto than I had anticipated. Even a little bit charming.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby imbordisux » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:57 am

Really sad to hear this - all of their flat rides were cranked to 11.

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:09 pm

thrillrider wrote:All parks cost money to run. My city picnic park cost's the city money to keep it up and running. So should they just close it down and build condos because it's not making them money?

Well, for one, they said that condos are "out of the question", but more importantly, since government revenue streams have likely declined, would you rather them save $3-6MM by cutting education/health/police/etc funds, or an amusement park?

Postby thrillrider » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:15 pm

In the same argument, you have to look at tax money that will be lost, the local jobs that will be lost, local businesses that will be impacted,the out of state visitors the park brings in....and on and on.

So the 2-3 million that it is costing them to run the park, is nothing compared to what they could lose. I could totaly see if it was costing them more than this to keep the park going, but this is a small amout compared to if the park did not exsist for the reasons I gave.

I am not sure how they are losing money on the park, because all reports from the park that I have seen, the place is packed.

Say they did close the park. They will still have to maintain the property, and that would not be much less than what they are paying now. With the market being what it is today, I think they would have a hard time selling anything right now.
Last edited by thrillrider on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:24 pm.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

DelGrosso's Sauce + Enterprise = VOMIT!

Postby Wood Dragon 1988 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:22 pm

Dislike...

ginzo wrote:I'd be bummed to see this place go. It was a lot less ghetto than I had anticipated. Even a little bit charming.

Agree with both of those statements. When I went to Rye i got there a few hours early and wondered around the neighborhood and lake area a bit. It was really an interesting place...it reminded me of those local neighborhood traditional parks I've heard about on shows and books....there are few and far between these days. And if the Dragon Coaster ever got better trains it could be really good!

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:38 pm

thrillrider wrote:In the same argument, you have to look at tax money that will be lost, the local jobs that will be lost, local businesses that will be impacted,the out of state visitors the park brings in....and on and on.

Just because visitors are "out of state" doesn't mean they book hotels in the area, especially when the next county over is "out of state". 77% of visitors come from within 25 miles of the park (link, page 11), so the overwhelming majority of patrons are simply locals who already spend money in the area - also note that per capita spending is rather low, hence them losing money despite "all reports from the park that I have seen, the place is packed"

So the 2-3 million that it is costing them to run the park, is nothing compared to what they could lose. I could totaly see if it was costing them more than this to keep the park going, but this is a small amout compared to if the park did not exsist for the reasons I gave.

The article said 3-6 million, go with that unless you can prove it was wrong.

I think they would have a hard time selling anything right now.

It's actually a great time to buy, since the values are so deflated. If you've got the cash, buy. Speculators love these down times

Postby thrillrider » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:05 pm

None the less, you still have 33% more people going to that area, that wouldn't be there if the park did not exsist. Those people spend money at gas stations, hotels, restaurants...ect..ect.
I kind of question the 77% number they came up with. Where and how did they study this?

Even local people that live 25 miles from the park will stop and eat at a restaurant after they leave the park.

Like I said, you also have to look at the local jobs that will be lost, and the tax money that would be gone as well. Local businesses will be hurt. Not just the jobs at the park that will be lost, but all the people in the surrounding area that will be impacted.That row of restaurants and gas stations and hotels, will have to let people go. And when people are out of work, they do not pay taxes...simple as that.

I am not arguing about it, just some concerns about this.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:07 pm

Rye Playland is the only amusement park in the nation that is owned and operated by the government.

Slightly false statement - my hometown park (Midway) is also a state-owned/operated park. I was there this year and it definitely looked like it was being run by the same dysfunctional idiots that are currently running the show in Albany!! :lol:

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:47 pm

This would make me really sad as this park really does have some great classic rides such a the Derby Racer and an insanely run Whip.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Band-Aid » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:03 pm

If this place does end up closing, I hope it's after the 2011 season (I was planning on going there summer 2011)
"WHAT"
-Lil Jon

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!