Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 18 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Re: The Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby Intimidator305 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Hints:

"It will deliver the mail"
"You might have to keep your head down ;-)"

Screamscape Articles:

Screamscape article from 7/4/08:
Barnstormer (S&S Screamin’ Swing themed in a giant barn with old fashioned barnstormer planes)

Screamscape article from 6/28/10: (nearly 2 years after the previous article)
Good rumor was sent in by a reader taking in a relaxing visit to Dollywood this weekend. Being from the Branson area, they showed off their season pass from Silver Dollar City to get a discount on the tickets. Upon seeing this the Dollywood employee asked them what they thought of the Great Swing ride at SDC? Why? Because Dollywood is apparently getting one for 2011. Great news for sure if they follow through, so now the question is… where will it go?

Other minor "changes" to take note of:

If you go to dollywood.com and click on the ride/attraction descriptions for either the Slidewinder, the tiny tots playground area, or the Dreamland Forest Treehouse, you will notice that all three of these attractions seem to be closing up for the year after Labor Day weekend on September 6.
http://www.dollywood.com/ride-q66-Dreamland_Forest_Treehouse.aspx
Usually this area and Slidewinder close late/the end of September...

My Prediction:

My bets on Giant Swing due to the success of the one at SDC, these two articles from Screamscape, and Dollywood's "hints". The whole barnstormer plane idea goes with this as well.

Desperate Housewife Who Wants to Live in THIS Castle!

Postby disneygurlz2s » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:06 pm

We visited the park back on July the 5th. It had been 11 years (my daughter was a baby) since we were last there and I could not get over how much they have added. Even though I had followed the addition of each ride through the website here, and from Dollywood, I still didn't realize they had added an entire new section of park over the years.

This truly is an awesome park-much more "Disney-like" than your typical ride park. GREAT themeing everywhere. Exceptionally friendly park employees, who always strike up conversation. Fun, unique rides. Can't wait to go back again!

Shari

Postby Intimidator305 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:31 pm

http://www.themountainpress.com/view/full_story/8955195/article--Dollywood-abuzz-about-new-ride

Dollywood abuzz about new ride
5101_DW_Barnstormer_7.jpg

PIGEON FORGE — Dollywood is preparing for a barn raising, quickly followed by the arrival of their newest attraction in 2011 — the Barnstormer. The $5.5 million giant swing will be situated in a barnyard-themed area which will also include play area for younger guests.

The Barnstormer pays homage to the daring aerialists and stunt pilots of the 1920s and is designed to give its riders an idea of what being a passenger in one of the planes would be like.

“I remember my daddy and granddaddy talking about the old barnstormers that used to do all kinds of crazy stunts above the fields where they’d work crops,” Dolly Parton said. “My new Barnstormer ride offers folks those same breathtaking moments, high in the sky above Dollywood. And I’ve recreated a critter-themed barnyard that reminds me of growing up on the farm here in the Smoky Mountains!”

The ride features two pendulum arms with seating for 32 riders. Seated back to back, riders travel progressively higher on each swing of the Barnstormer’s massive arms, reaching a maximum speed of 45 miles per hour and 230 degrees of rotation. At its peak, the Barnstormer reaches 81 feet in the air, taking riders high above the barn’s rooftop and the area’s treetops.

The one-acre project will be located in the area currently occupied by Dreamland Forrest and adjacent to the Mountain Slidewinder, one of park’s most popular rides which opened in 1987. The Barnstormer will rest amid a traditional red barn on the Owens Farm, a nod to Parton’s family’s rural upbringing.

While the Barnstormer fills the air above the barn, children’s play areas dot the landscape around the barn. With a fun, barnyard theme, children can enjoy a 22-foot by 16-foot bi-plane play area as well as a pig pen water play area.

The Barnstormer has a ride capacity of 450 passengers per hour, and a 45-inch minimum height requirement. It also includes a custom-designed ADA seat.

The new area opens in March 2011 to usher in Dollywood’s 26th operating season.

The number one ticketed attraction in Tennessee, Dollywood is an award-winning 150-acre family adventure park located in Pigeon Forge near the entrance to Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Open nine months a year (late March to early January), Dollywood hosts four of the South’s largest festivals and offers more than 40 rides and attractions, including Thunderhead, twice named the world’s No. 1 wooden coaster, and Mystery Mine coaster, Theme Park Insider’s 2007 Best New Attraction. In addition to the 2009 Golden Ticket Award for Best Shows, Dollywood is the recipient of 15 Big E Awards in recognition of the park’s live entertainment which features country, bluegrass, gospel and Appalachian music. The Golden Tickets’ 2007 Publisher’s Pick for best theme park, Dollywood also is a two-time winner of the Golden Ticket Award for Best Christmas Event. In addition, a dozen crafters authentic to the East Tennessee region demonstrate daily.

For more information, visit http://www.dollywood.com.

Read more: The Mountain Press - Dollywood abuzz about new ride

I personally cannot wait for this ride at Dollywood... :lover: Since I am a season passholder!!! :br This seems like it will be a perfect fit in the former Dreamland Forest or should I say the new Owens Farm! Even though it looks to be a copy of the SDC one, I believe this one will be overall better due to the better name, theme, location, and the kiddie area revamp!
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:08 pm.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:41 pm

I'm just super glad they're NOT taking out Mountain Slidewinder!!!!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:50 pm

^ Ditto!!! That's one of the attractions that makes Dollywood so speacial IMO.

It sounds like they are taking out Dreamland Forest...or did I misinterpret that? I'm a little surprised if so since it always seemed like a popular kids area whenever I've been to the park.

The new attraction sounds like a great addition, and I like the idea of incorporating a kids play area into it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:14 pm

This sounds great.

I like the cedarpoint version of this ride. The only concern I have, is the 450 people per hour. The line for this thing is going to be crazy long.

I think they have the same version of this ride at silver dollar city.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby Intimidator305 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:17 pm

thrillrider wrote:I think they have the same version of this ride at silver dollar city.

They do, it is called The Giant Swing. As far as capacity goes, I am a bit worried as well, but considering this attraction will be in its area of its own (besides Slidewinder) away from Timber Canyon, Wilderness Pass, and the Country Fair I think it won't be too terrible... I'm just hoping it takes the Q-Bot! :Pr

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Dollywood will do a great job on theming, as usual. Damn. Adventue Mountain, S&S Swing, Mystery Mine, Thunderhead, Tornado....this park is so awesome.

Can't wait to visit again in 2011.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:29 pm

Wow, just another reason why I should convince my family to visit the park. From the looks of the ride, I guess (like everybody else) I too am worried for the wait.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:50 pm

It also includes a custom-designed ADA seat.

Of all parks to ask for this.. :lol:

I wouldn't worry about the capacity too much. It will probably be a lot like the timber tower, which isn't really too bad even on busy days

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!