Photo TR: larrygator's 2010 European Travels

Page 15: Final Update "Budapest Sightseeing"
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Re: Photo TR: larrygator's 2010 European Travels

Postby chadster » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:01 pm

wow, this looks like a great place! Although, I might need to take out a second mortgage to ride everything ;) The one thing I don't think would interest me is taking a lawn chair 383 feet up in the air and spinning around. Was it an uneasy feeling or did you feel secure?

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:12 pm

And Six Flags says that amusement parks don't need bumper cars. Wiener Prater proves them wrong, over and over and over and over again!
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Benny - BPB is a good comparison in terms of how close the rides are to each other but Bakken is probably a better comparison.

Chad - I felt secure but I'm not afraid of heights. There is no way you are accidentally coming out of the chair (seat belt and locking mechanism). Now granted I didn't check the welds on every link of the chain attaching my seat to the arm, but I figured the chains would be strongest during the ride's first year.

Derek - I was laughing every time I came across another driving ride. I can't say that any of them were extremely busy but I guess they must be money makers for those leasing the space.

Actually none of the rides had lines and the only ones running more than half filled were: Space Shot, Prater Turm, Tornado, Turbo Booster and the Tagada. I never entered the Riesenrad queue but that also seemed popular. Many flats ran with only one or two riders.
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:34 am.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Ledgy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Larry, you have to write "Riesenrad", not "Reisenrad" ;)

Translated, it´s called hughe (=riesig) wheel; you said travel wheel ... travel (=Reise), wheel (=Rad). So it would make also sense, cause on a "Riesenrad" you travel around ;)

Again, nice Report!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:42 pm

This wheel was part of a important scene in Carol Reed's classic movie The Third Man starring Joseph Cotton and Orson Welles. Very cool to see how it appears now--doesn't seem to have changed much since the late 1940s. I'd post a You Tube link to the scene, but it would spoil the whole plot of the movie if you haven't seen it.

I think this park was featured in The Living Daylights, too (the first Timothy Dalton James Bond movie).
Last edited by cfc on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:43 pm.

DelGrosso's Sauce + Enterprise = VOMIT!

Postby Wood Dragon 1988 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm not much of a flat ride guy, but I must say, Prater looks like an awesome place! I always knew there was a lot to do there, but I never knew there was THAT much to do. Thanks Larry for informing us!

Also, I've always wanted to do one of those side friction wooden coasters, and the way the park is set up seems really intriguing and not very common at all in the States.

Postby larrygator » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:04 pm

OK, I know there are plenty of dark ride and walk through fans out there and Wiener Prater has plenty of them to appease you. There were 17 attractions at Wiener Prater:
4 Fun Houses
3 Ghost Trains
3 Mirror Mazes/Glass Houses
2 Fairy Tale themed Dark Rides
3 Walk Through Haunted Attractions
1 Shooting Dark Ride
1 Miscellaneous

My captions are going to be long as I want to give a description of each ride and provide my commentary. Unfortunately many of these attractions blended together after awhile and even now looking at my notes I can't quite remember everything about each attraction. Pictures were not allowed or difficult to take in many of the attractions. So if we have any DAFErs reading this thread, break out a new box of Kleenex.

I just hope that when I am done that you all will enjoy what I feel is the most comprehensive overview ever shown of Wiener Prater and that it inspires others to visit. When I initially planned this trip I was so worried that I would be disappointed in Wiener Prater, but as you can see I was not.

First up will be the Fun Houses
PICT1627.JPG
This is Super Top Dance
PICT2040.JPG
They know how to have FUN in this house.
PICT2041.JPG
This was the best of the four Fun Houses and cost 2.5 Euros.
PICT2046.JPG
Highlights include this 5 story plastic slide, not for the claustrophobic.
PICT2049.JPG
And just when you think you are done and trying to balance as you walk over the last obstacle, the ride op starts firing at you with a high powered water gun.
PICT1647.JPG
Funball was the second best fun house and is priced at 3 Euros.
PICT2054.JPG
One of the first gags in the fun house is this short rope bridge with an arc of water that is practically impossible to avoid.
PICT2057.JPG
Not surprisingly, Funball is sports themed.
PICT2058.JPG
More sportiness
PICT2055.JPG
and a disorienting tunnel
PICT1637.JPG
Magic Dreamland was 2.5 Euros and was one story shorter then Super Top Dance, hence a shorter slide.
PICT2051.JPG
This was the sight at the other end of the spinning barrel.
PICT2052.JPG
Just like the other 3 fun houses there were plenty of floor traps and conveyor belts. The memorable part of this fun house was on the last set of conveyor belts the ride op was able to change the speed of them while you were stepping on and off. Another never in America moment.
PICT1729.JPG
Calypso was the most permanent looking of the fun houses (Magic Dreamland and Super Top Dance were clearly portable even if they have not moved in years).
PICT1728.JPG
It cost 2.5 Euro and was the only fun house with a glass maze room and had the best tilt room but many of the other gags were just working better in the other houses.
PICT1972.JPG
I just found some more photos from inside Calypso.
PICT1977.JPG
Dizzy Tunnel
PICT1973.JPG
Did someone order a picture of Larry with no sleeves?
PICT1979.JPG
Siamese twin Larry
PICT1978.JPG
Long Tall Larry with a big butt.
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:37 am.

Postby larrygator » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:35 am

I over estimated the allure of fun houses, or cake walks as they are sometimes referred to in Europe.

As I stated in my last post the park also has 3 Ghost Trains (I thought there were 4, but in reviewing my notes one was a walk through) and 3 Mirror Mazes/Glass Houses. I did not do the mazes, in the interest of saving money, but I'm sure anyone who could find their way from the Kings Domnion entrance to Intimadator 305 would have no trouble getting through any of the mazes.

I did not get the prices of the mazes, but the Ghost trains were between 2.5 and 3.5 Euros.
PICT1899.JPG
Here is the Hallowien maze and that is all that I have to say about it.
PICT1763.JPG
And here is a much larger looking maze, that I think was named Lachspiegelkabinett.
PICT1762.JPG
As you have already figured out, those last three photos were just filler. And now the moment that ryancrash and cfc have been waiting for: The Ghost Trains
PICT1756.JPG
This huge building houses Geister Bahn
PICT1754.JPG
It bills itself as the biggest and longest Ghost Train in Europe, all for only 3 Euros. At least that's what I think the sign says.
PICT1755.JPG
Sorry, no pictures from inside the ride. It was very dark inside and great timing on all the stunts. In particular there was a great stunt involving a broken bridge that the car had to pass.
PICT1707.JPG
Geister Schloss costs 3 Euros and had some of the cheesier props, but all worked well.
PICT1708.JPG
The ride was very heavy on the animatronics (and cheesy artwork)outside the building to draw people.
PICT1883.JPG
The Ghost Train portion of this Photo TR is being interrupted as I found the picture of the "original" lachspiegelkabinett.
PICT1919.JPG
Close-up of awesome artwork on GeisterSchloss
PICT1921.JPG
The ride vehicle
PICT1925.JPG
Second level outdoor section.
PICT1766.JPG
Geister Bahn Zum Roten Adler was the third Ghost Train.
PICT1768.JPG
3.5 Euros to ride in these vehicles
PICT1863.JPG
Just like the other Ghost Trains, this had an outdoor portion on the second level.
PICT1865.JPG
The stunts were not as well times as to others rides, but this one had a shocking "Bug's Life" type effect in the seats that made me jump.
PICT1930.JPG
Keep following as walk-throughs, fairy tale themed rides and other indoor stuff is still to come.
Last edited by larrygator on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:05 am.

TPR's lonesome donkeyboy

Postby Groteslurf » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:54 am

Great update again Larry.

And yes, your TR will make me visit Wiener Prater. Don't know why, but I've always thought it was a very small park with a ferris wheel and a few other rides :?r

You seem to have done most of the rides and I'm wondering how much money you have spent. Too bad they don't/didn't sell all day passes/whristbands.

Postby larrygator » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:10 am

Benny - I did all the coasters (28.3 Euros) and all the dark rides (not the mirror mazes) for 41 Euros but only four flat rides (21 Euros). I spent a total of 90 Euros on rides, 20 Euros on food/drink and 2 Euros for the WCs/restrooms. It costs 50 Euro cents for each visit to the WC.

I spent a grand total of 112 Euros at the Wiener Prater, quite an expensive day.

Again my apologies for posting Wiener Prater piecemeal but I have to devote some time to real work, since that pays for the trips. ;) I'm going to try to do the rest of the park in one shot
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:42 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive