Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 329: Newest Steel Curtain construction photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Kennywood Discussion Thread

Postby PennStater » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:06 pm

Nice video, TDB. lol @ the screaming at the beginning. :P
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:51 pm

Rode Sky Rocket twice today and LOVED it! Both of my rides were in the front row, first wait was about 45, second wait was about 35. There were so many unexpected pops of airtime on that ride, and the top hat/cliffhanger element was nuts! Also, the airtime in the inversions was one of the more bizarre feelings I've had on a coaster. You literally float as if you're going over an airtime hill, but then turn it into a barrel roll. Very, very cool. The ending was a bit meh, but overall the best word to describe it is "fun."

Since I'm a coaster enthusiast, I'm bound by contractual obligation to bitch and complain about SOMETHING, so I guess my only complaint would be the train design. Not sure what Premier was thinking, but leg room is minimal and the odd height recommendations for each row are really, really strange. It didn't take away from my experience even a little bit, but as I said, I suppose I should find something negative because it's my duty both as an enthusiast and a member of TPR. ;)

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Reon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:04 pm

My 2 cents on Sky Rocket....

First the positives, and there are alot. Although I only got in 1 front seat ride on my trip (July 5th lines=fail), it was DEFINATELY worth the 1 hour wait. As an airtime enthusiest (remember, I now rate completely differently thanks to Phoenix), I automatically give SR 8/10. PURE FLOATATION ON ALMOST EVERY ELEMENT!!!!! The top hat/cliffhanger/whatever doesnt really have that noticable of a stall to me, but thats mainly because I was too busy concentrating on the fact I pretty much floated from the bottom of the launch to the end of the 90* drop. Then for the rest of the course....some nice ejector in both of the inversions was VERY welcome, and the high speed curves gave some good lats. THe pullout was pretty insane ala Mystery Mine's first verticle drop, and the bunny hills towards the end gave some decent air for what they offered....

Now for the negatives. First of all, the surf curves did nothing. A bit nitpicky I know, but compared to all the fun and forces from the rest of the ride, that was a bit of a boring transition. Maybe if it had more speed or substance....Also, I have to agree on the unfortunate restraints. Even though I was relatively unaffected since I'm decently short at 5'8", I could tell that the foot part of the restraints could cause problems for bigger riders, especially with all the INSANE AIRTIME the ride has to offer. My only other gripe is the horrible capacity, espeically coming from a ride operator's point of view. 2 trains with 12 seats each IS doable...the only thing is, you practically HAVE to keep a good interval going to push the line. Since Sky Rocket takes just as long to load as it does for a train to run the full course, this will NOT do....

Overall, my verdict is 9/10 for Sky Rocket. The course is extremely fun and forceful, and the only way I could think to make it better is to do something with those horrible surf curves and add some theming/terrain features. Aside from horrible capacity and unfortunate restraints for tall people, SR is a solid addition to Kennywood, and I'd LOVE to see more of these come from Premier. Not sure if its top 10 material since I rate steels randomly, but its definately up there and one of the most fun steel coasters I've been on...
Proud Coney Island Ride-op for 6 years!
Kings Island MSD/Racer crew of 2011
Kings Island Vortex/Windseeker crew of 2012-2013
Best Coaster Ever: :airtimer: Phoenix :airtimer: Top Steel: Intimidator 305 (Maverick in CLOSE 2nd)

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:39 pm

Someone needs to tell the Phantom to chill out.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby PennStater » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Hahaha... that was pretty random. :lmao:
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:17 am

http://www.wpxi.com/news/24398531/detail.html

For about a month, thrill seekers have been clamoring to ride Kennywood's new roller coaster, Sky Rocket, and it hasn't shown any signs of losing popularity.

“The line is long every morning when we open, but luckily we're able to get people through pretty quickly,” said public relations manager Jeff Filicko.

If you've been on the Sky Rocket, you've probably seen the sign informing taller people to stay off certain rows.

Filicko said the ride is fun and safe, but it's not always comfortable for taller riders because they simply don't have enough leg room, and that's why park managers decided to make the fourth row off-limits to anyone over six feet tall.

At 6 feet 5 inches, Eric Wietfeld, from Kodiak, Alaska, experienced this first-hand.

“It was a little tight. My restraint system was tight, but the seat could have been a little bit bigger, but it was comfortable,” Wietfeld said.

Comfort is something the park promises to provide all Kennywood visitors, including Sky Rocket fanatics.

“One of the most important features of Sky Rocket is having a coaster that's comfortable that you can ride over and over,” Filicko said.

Kennywood said the ride was never shut down as a result of the row changes.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby jausaron09 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:16 pm

Has anyone got the VIP Coaster Pass? I was reading about it, and I'm gonna buy one when I go to Kennywood in two weeks. Any recommendations, whether I should or shouldn't, which one I should get. Just message me.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby deweasefan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:41 pm

jausaron09 wrote:Has anyone got the VIP Coaster Pass? I was reading about it, and I'm gonna buy one when I go to Kennywood in two weeks. Any recommendations, whether I should or shouldn't, which one I should get. Just message me.

Personally I don't think they are needed, though the price is not too bad. I went on July 4th. Crowds were fairly heavy, although not quite as bad as I expected for the holiday. I got there just after open and got on every coaster twice, except Exterminator and Sky Rocket which I only rode once each, and rode several other rides as well. Ended up leaving by about 5. If you get there at open you should be fine as far as getting on everything you want.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re:

Postby jausaron09 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:02 pm

DenDen wrote:
ginzo wrote:Give me a break.

Um, it was a joke. Guess only the Pittsburghers got it. :lmao:

You know it ;)

It's been about 3 years or so, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I only count one taco stand so far.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:12 pm

jausaron09 wrote:Has anyone got the VIP Coaster Pass? I was reading about it, and I'm gonna buy one when I go to Kennywood in two weeks. Any recommendations, whether I should or shouldn't, which one I should get. Just message me.

In my opinion, Kennywood's lines never get that bad where some sort of "skip the line pass" is needed, but that's just me. Even with a 100% completely full queue, Sky Rocket has only a 45-60 min wait...barring any problems. If you don't mind doing some searching, I believe someone posted a photo trip report not too long ago where they got one of those passes, perhaps that might help.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!