Magic Spring Photo Trip Report

I saddled my donkey and drove 4.5 hours, Awesome Revamp!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Magic Spring Photo Trip Report

Postby chadster » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:14 pm

Today (7/5/10) I took a 250 mile one way drive to Magic Springs (Hot Springs, AR) on a semi hot day. I was banking on no one being around after the July 4 holiday and I was right. The ol' man and I had a really good time taking in the rides and the water park.

The park was sparkling clean and very well landscaped. All of the rides were operating when the park opened, another big plus vs other reports I have read on previous years. I found the staff to be friendly and many ride ops almost begging people to come over and give them something to do. Re-rides were offered when no one else was in your row or if there was an empty seat on a flat ride. I will say the park is lacking two things. A major roller coaster (X-Coaster was a really good ride, but in all honesty I don't see it as a big draw) and more flat thrill rides. I think with all of the improvements they have done to get the park up to snuff, they will now be able to concentrate on bringing additional rides into the park such as with the new boogie blast in the water park.

All in all the park has wonderful potential and is in great physical shape, PARC has done a nice job revamping the park and I can see them having success in the future.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 002.JPG
First off a culture credit. Our drive down 270E brought us into the Ouachita National Forest. 1.8 million miles of forest and 700 miles of trails. It was a definite welcome site vs the interstate.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 003.JPG
And they had a rest area on the side of a 2 lane highway. And it was CLEAN! There are several logging companies and mills along this road. I felt like I was on a discovery channel show
Magic Springs 7.5.20 006.JPG
Long line to get in at 11 when the park opened. My only beef is that they only had two ticket takers. Thanks to my ClubTPR membership, we got to buy our discount tickets at home and bypass the long ticket line to the left.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 009.JPG
Just inside the park you are greated with this, to the left a bag check, to the right, no bag check, walk right in.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 010.JPG
See? Clean, and not that busy.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 013.JPG
Nice landscaping
Magic Springs 7.5.20 014.JPG
Grab a bite to eat. Asking about prices? Large drink = 2.70 +tax, meals 7.75-9.00+tax
Magic Springs 7.5.20 017.JPG
Wave pool with X Coaster in the background.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 020.JPG
X Coaster running.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 027.JPG
Arkansas twister in the rear
Magic Springs 7.5.20 029.JPG
The Swings were up and running, I love the 2 wide versions.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 030.JPG
And they had this scarey looking ride.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 031.JPG
They have games, but nothing over whelming like a six flags or cedar fair park, and no one yelling at you wanting you to play.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 032.JPG
The BBQ at this place smelt really good.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 033.JPG
Nice view.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 035.JPG
The park's carousel.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 038.JPG
where you can ride a cock.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 040.JPG
Wet Ride, yeah, on a hot day!
Magic Springs 7.5.20 049.JPG
This thing will soak you. They only had one boat.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 052.JPG
Seriously only one boat. Period. Not even a second boat off to the side. Oh, yeah, and it will soak you.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 054.JPG
Then again, there were no lines.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 056.JPG
One of my fav shots of the Plummet Summit
Magic Springs 7.5.20 057.JPG
Ahh, a Verkoma. Never know what you are going to get.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 060.JPG
But that's part of the thrill, this one looks harmless.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 065.JPG
The restraints were quite comfortable. Your ears weren't beat all to @#%@
Magic Springs 7.5.20 067.JPG
The was a nice ride overall. Smooth for Verkoma and again, the seats were great. They have two trains, but only one on the tracks, the other one was partially disassembled on the maintenance track.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 068.JPG
As we leave the Gauntlet with a shot of the station (walk on!) we have our first credit out of the way. More pics very soon.
Last edited by chadster on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:07 pm.

Re: Magic Spring Photo Trip Report

Postby chadster » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Next round of pics.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 070.JPG
Next we head over to this little gem. The ride op was friendly.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 071.JPG
She didn't mind seeing two very sad and pathetic people coming to ride. We were told for a kiddie ride, it was intense. I thought she was fibbing.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 073.JPG
Lift hill. She was not lying, for a kiddie coaster, it was actually, well, fun and slighlty intense.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 094.JPG
This has to be the shortest S&S tower I've ever seen, even shorter than the two at WoF
Magic Springs 7.5.20 076.JPG
Wild Thang. I couldn't get the ol' man to get on this, and as a result, I couldn't get on it either. They don't allow single riders, guess they want to balance the ride or something, affraid it will break down.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 084.JPG
Off to the twist and shout.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 083.JPG
Cool little cars.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 082.JPG
Typical wild ride.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 085.JPG
Zero people waiting.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 091.JPG
They make you sit on the outside of the ride. The Ride op's were cool as could be and bored out of their minds. They were happy someone walked by to ride.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 092.JPG
Random riders. After we showed up, others did too. They don't run the lift motors at all on any of their coasters when a train isn't on the lift.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 095.JPG
Big Bad Johnson
Magic Springs 7.5.20 097.JPG
Mine Train.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 102.JPG
Lift hill.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 099.JPG
Empty station. Big John was not bad, but the ops were having fun with it.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 100.JPG
They had a second train in here took apart, looked like for parts.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 105.JPG
X Coaster, coming up next.
Last edited by chadster on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:53 pm.

Postby chadster » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Final round of pics.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 106.JPG
how about some X Coaster?
Magic Springs 7.5.20 110.JPG
Ding Ding, going up.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 114.JPG
OMFG!!
Magic Springs 7.5.20 115.JPG
Fly Baby, Fly!
Magic Springs 7.5.20 117.JPG
I think someone just pooed themselves.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 120.JPG
Seriously, this ride is really fun, really short, and really not scarey.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 121.JPG
Back of trains, they have restraints similar to that on the S&S Screamin Swings and Fly Swatter, they lock down tight on the way up the hill, just watch the breack on the lift hill when you swing up the second time, you might bump your head and say a few new words as a result.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 122.JPG
Magic Springs Exercise Progam, I lost 3 pounds today. No really, I lost three pounds today.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 124.JPG
Wildlife.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 126.JPG
Water park, included in admission, can't beat that.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 127.JPG
New Boggie Blast
Magic Springs 7.5.20 128.JPG
Lazy Lazy
Magic Springs 7.5.20 130.JPG
Magic Springs 7.5.20 131.JPG
The twister.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 132.JPG
Lift hill. Nice out and back ride.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 135.JPG
Noted.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 136.JPG
I liked these trains for some reason, roomy and comfortable. The train did act like it was in a "think I can think I can" mode over the last hill before the bunny hops. Don't know if it was trims or what, I wasn't paying much attention to that, just thought it was funny.
Magic Springs 7.5.20 137.JPG
Empty. The ride ops again were friendly, even offered to hold my camera for me with out me having to walk over to the storage area, how cool was that? Anyway, ride in the back car, you will feel like it's about to come off the track.

Postby chadster » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Again, had a great time, hope you've enjoyed the pics.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Wow, another PARC park that's really been turned around! Thanks for posting this, I haven't seen much of MS lately. I know PARC has been giving the place a lot of attention just by following them on Facebook, but I didn't know it had payed off this much. They've sure done a lot to get stuff back open and beautify the place. It shows they truly know how to run these parks. I just hope it starts paying off for them. People still dog MS a lot because of its rep. I hope the locals start taking note.

Postby chadster » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:05 pm

^^I totally agree. They are really showing their committment to the community and park. Really, the only thing they need to address at this park now is the parking lot. It's been striped and re-striped so many times that many people were just parking in random ways. If they were to seal it and stripe it right, that would add icing to the cake on their totally awesome revamp.

All of the rides were operating really well, I can't stress that enough.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:03 pm

At first, I seriously thought that Big Bad John was a heavily themed restroom facility. :lmao:
Sounds like the park is doing well! For some reason, I'd really like to ride X-Coaster, even if it's not all that great. And Arkansas Twister sounds like fun. Thanks for sharing!
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby chadster » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:30 pm

X Coaster should be on the bucket list, that's for sure. I just don't see it as being a big draw to the park. Basically, once you go over the top, it shoots you down through the station up the front tower, then back through the station and up the rear tower, then up the front tower where it breaks, attaches to the chain, and brings you back to safety. Fun ride.

Doesn't know how to spell "Enthusiast."

Postby Six Flags Enthuseast » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:08 am

They don't run the lift motors at all on any of their coasters when a train isn't on the lift.

Wild Waves does the same thing. It must be a PARC thing.

Wow, I didn't even know this park existed! It's got a few nice rides, too; I never knew that America had an X-Coaster! I guess I have another park to use my PARC Season pass for. Speaking of PARC, I wish they kept as much care of Wild Waves as they do of their other parks. WW feels pretty neglected compared to their other properties, like this one here. :(
Doesn't know how to spell 'Enthusiast'... or 'Hyundai'.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby CoasterFreaks » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:40 am

Just curious, you mentioned a price for the large soda in your report. Is MS not doing the free soda promotion anymore?

Thanks.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive