TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

As I read this, ESPN is at the park doing a pba bowling event right on the midway. It's on espn right now, and again tomorrow at 2:30.

I believe this was pre-recorded. They were at the park last month just before my visit. They did the same thing a few years ago at SFStL, but they did in the parking lot.

As I read this, ESPN is at the park doing a pba bowling event right on the midway. It's on espn right now, and again tomorrow at 2:30.

I believe this was pre-recorded. They were at the park last month just before my visit. They did the same thing a few years ago at SFStL, but they did in the parking lot.

I was there for that and was on TV for yesterday's episodes and the last one for last sunday (which I was sitting behind Bugs Bunny for that one). I was wearing a brown Hydra shirt. GASM had a 30 to 45 minute wait that day. The British Coaster Club was there that day as well.

Six Flags Great Adventure's Facebook just confirmed that Great American Scream Machine will close on July 18th

•WHEN: 10 p.m.-11:30 p.m., July 18, 2010

•WHERE: Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great

Adventure.

•WHY: To make room for a new attraction in 2011, we’re

celebrating Scream Machine with the send off it deserves!

•Event Details:Guests invited to the event will receive ERT (exclusive

ride time) from 10 p.m.-11 p.m. Seats on the front and back row of the last train of the last ride (dispatched at 11 p.m.) will be auctioned off; other seats during the last ride will be $50 each—details TBA—and all proceeds will benefit the NRCMA (National Roller Coaster Museum & Archives)!

They're doing a contest for "Show us your scream face" and the winners will get ERT on GASM's last day.

And their status

Hey guys, Scream Machine will close July 18 to make room for a major new attraction in 2011. We'll offer double rides on GASM July 11 & 18. We'll host an ERT (Exclusive Ride Time) event on July 18, 10 p.m.-11:30 p.m. to invited guests; to be invited, see this contest>>http://ow.ly/27be9 [see more below]

What a bummer.

But I am glad the park is acknowledging the ride and giving it some positive attention. Obviously, not many people really like this ride, but i'm a bit disappointed with this decision to remove it. Though I do have doubts that Chang is going to replace GASM, since SF might not even own the ride anymore.

Interesting news! It sounds like GAdv is really trying to make GASM's last days meaningful to fans.

As pointless as it may be, I'm always sorry to hear of the loss of any coaster. But this is one I can deal with not riding. I've already ridden and enjoyed its equivalent, Viper, and I'm satisfied by that.

Edited by cal1br3tto

Although I'm sad to see such a notorious coaster go that offers a lot for the Gadv skyline, I'm excited that a new riding position is being added to an already amazing collection. Standing, Flying, Inverted, Sitting, and Floorless can all be done at Gadv.....assuming we are getting Chang.

Well it looks like I know what park I'm going to on the 18th. Hopefully it won't be as crowded as it was in the 1st & at least the park is letting everyone know 2 weeks ahead of it closing when the exact date is. I'm kind of bummed that this is leaving though, all of my first coasters are gone: the old Jack Rabbit at Clementon was my first coaster ever & that is gone, Laser at Dorney was my first coaster with an inversion & that is gone, now GASM at GADV is leaving & that was my first coaster that I ever rode at GADV

I'm very saddened by this news, but also relieved at the same time. On one hand, it is very sad that the park is losing one of its oldest and more historic rides (once being the tallest & fastest looping coaster ever at its opening in 1989), especially for myself since this was the first major coaster I ever rode at the park and I've ridden it at least once during every subsequent time I visited. On the other hand however, the park is making a celebration out of the closing, which is pleasing since Chiller was unexpectedly removed a few years ago. It also makes us more anxious for whatever is coming to the park next year, be it Chang, the 5D thing, or something completely different. Rest in Pieces, GASM.

Add GASM to the Steve Kiss of Death list. So far I have visited Geauga Lake, Kentucky Kingdom, and ridden Laser (Dorney), Texas Giant, and GASM the last year of their operation before it was announced that they would be closed/changed.

Don't blame yourself. We know whose fault it is those two parks closed.

GASM was a piece of crap. I'm not sad to see it go!

I'm hopeful that whatever gets put in its place will be a lot better!

And to that I say .

Behind El Toro, Nitro, and possibly Kingda Ka, this was my favorite ride at Great Adventure; no lie. What a disappointment to hear of its closing. I hate to see all the remnants of Arrow's once dominant hold on the amusement park industry slowly fade into extinction, but I guess it's life. Being 6'5", I never had any trouble with this coaster, as my head would simply stay above the restraints. It had an incredible first drop, and was just one of those rides that was snappy, disorienting, and flat out fun. I haven't been on GASM since 2008, so I can only hope that I can get one more ride in within these next to weeks. And I like B&M standups more than most people, but I'd really love to see something better than Chang put in the place of what I believe was a legendary ride.

Out of my four favorite Arrows (GASM, Big Bad Wolf, Vortex at Canada's Wonderland, and Magnum XL200), it's crazy to think that two are gone already. At least it wasn't Magnum, or else I'd probably be losing sleep tonight haha.

Hmmm I guess I'll be taking a road trip up to Great Adventure that last weekend. Sad it'll probably have to be the Saturday and not the Sunday, but it was one of the coaster I hadn't ridden yet at GA. I'll have to tick it off my list before it's gone now.

Nicole

Out of my four favorite Arrows (GASM, Big Bad Wolf, Vortex at Canada's Wonderland, and Magnum XL200), it's crazy to think that two are gone already. At least it wasn't Magnum, or else I'd probably be losing sleep tonight haha.

I actually had a better ride on GASM 2 weeks ago then I did on Magnum last year, so I'll definitely miss it. ...Not that Magnum is really that great in my opinion, but my ride on GASM was definitely the best I've had in a good 15 years or so.

I actually had a better ride on GASM 2 weeks ago then I did on Magnum last year, so I'll definitely miss it. ...Not that Magnum is really that great in my opinion, but my ride on GASM was definitely the best I've had in a good 15 years or so.

I second this!

While GASM probably owns Chang in terms of intense loops, don't under-estimate the power in the front seat. On a nice warm day, Chang will pull tears out of you going down the first drop, coming out of the loop and dive loop. There is something good about a nice straight 150' ft drop.

That said, I think it is sad that GASM is leaving. I always wanted to ride Shockwave and when it was torn down I started making plans to New Jersey, guess I'll be a year too late. I think I better get out to SFMM to ride Viper ASAP.

Kinda mixed on this one...my first ride on it in 2002 was really good, but my last ride in 2008 was horrific. I'm sad to see it go because that means we're losing another piece of coaster history/nostalgia, but happy that something better is replacing it.