TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Well Shoot the Rapids is finally open to the public!

UPDATE: 10:40 a.m.

Inspectors and Cedar Point officials smoothed out the snags and 24 Red Cross highest bidders took the inaugural ride just moments ago.

The ride is expected to be open through the weekend, barring any other problems.

Cedar Point official expect 8,000 people will ride the new offering on Saturday alone.

Story

Just got back from riding Shoot the Rapids. At about 11:30, the ride finally opened after the auction winners and some last minute "tweaking". I was on the second public boat and what a ride I had. The tunnel has crazy amounts of mist, the themeing is fairly well done, and it is just an overall great ride. I'm not going to give anymore away (like which side of the boat the waterfall hits) but this is definitely CP's best themed ride (I know thats not saying much). One strange operational thing is they are currently not using row 5 on any boat and are assigning rows based on the riders weight. Also STR does have a single rider line.

In the category of wetness, you do get soaked, mainly from the second drop "rapids" feature and the water cannons people shoot off.

The only complaint I have about STR is the way the CP managers handled the entire pre-opening situation. All throughout the two hours we were waiting, they kept saying "only 10 more minutes". Obliviously that didn't happen. I don't have a problem with waiting for the ride to open but don't go telling everyone it's about to open when it's not.

Overall this is a great ride and fits in nicely at CP and was definetly worth the month and a half delay .

^It was kind of strange. It looked like they were putting medium sized people in the front, heavy in the middle, and light in back. However, since I was on the second boat, I only saw two boats being loaded so I'm not sure if that's how they are actually doing it. I still don't like it.

Wow, I hope they don't have to put in scales like they did out at Knotts for Pacific Spin. That has to be an uncomfortable feeling for the heavier folk, step on the scale, if your color is red, you sit in the back, if its yellow, sit in the middle, and if it's green sit in the front. I could see that becoming an issue if say a husband and wife had a significant weight difference and then are told as they are boarding they can't ride together because hoss is too big and must sit in the back with the other big people. I'd hope that is has somthing to do with the state letting the ride open, or an Intamin mandated trial period where they are being extra cautious right now, I'd hate to have to see maintenance push a boat out such as in the trip report from India, that was classic.

^^Thanks for the pics! I guess the sign says it all about the weight, 1750lbs, that's less than the elevator at my workplace. Your pics also explain the sorting of bigger to lighter weight persons via the signage as well as the people on the boats did look like they had been sorted. Is it dead or weather iffy there today? Or just no one wanting to ride it? I would've thought the line for the ride to be out the door considering park "officials" aka management, expected 8k people to ride today. I just hope they don't break out the scales!

Thanks again for the pics!

So I'm staying at my dad's apartment in Akron OH for the week, and we plan on visiting Cedar Point sometime this weekend. I was just curious how crowds have been lately, and whether it would be best to visit this Friday, Saturday, Sunday (the 4th), or Monday? I'm assuming Friday or Monday would be the least busy, but we will also consider the weather.

Also, we won't be able to get early entry (we don't have platinum passes and we aren't staying at their hotels), so any tips or techniques on what to ride when would be greatly appreciated! We do plan on arriving at the regular opening time. Thanks!

Go Monday. Normally I would say avoid Monday, but in past years I have noticed that the days right after the July 4th weekend are fairly empty. However that could wait until Tuesday this year since July 4th is on a Sunday.

Whenever you do decide to go, you MUST ride Shoot the Rapids!

I think the lines were short just because there were signs at the entrances and tollbooths saying STR was still closed.

That's funny in many, many ways, and classic all at the same time. But I'm glad they finally got it opened (and I bet they are too)and hope they get all the bugs worked out.

I think I should make a small clarification on the wetness level of Shoot the Rapids. While you will get soaked, you won't be dripping wet like from Snake River Falls (unless the people shooting off the cannons really hate you). I was dry in less than an hour with no hand dryer assistance.

^^^^^ Thanks! Yeah, I think we are leaning more towards Monday now. I can't wait to try out STR and even Maverick, since I haven't been there in the past few years.

We might also try to hit up Kennywood, as it's also only two hours away.

Ya know, I just realized that CP has its own mini-water park inside the park. Isn't the area between the two (now three) water rides an area where you don't need a shirt or shoes? if so, will this continue with STR? I forgot where the sign was saying you had to put your attire back on