TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

America’s oldest family theme park, Lake Compounce introduces 21st century reservation system to reduce queue lines with Q-txt from Lo-Q

Cell phone based reservation system selected by member of the Parque Reunidos family of parks

Lo-Q plc, the leading supplier of virtual queuing systems to theme parks, announced today that Lake Compounce Family Theme Park located in the heart of Connecticut USA will introduce Q-txt cell phone based reservations for the 2010 season. This is the first time Q-txt mobile technology will be used for line management in the USA. Q-txt is currently employed at a number of locations in Europe and the UK.

The Q-txt system gives guests the opportunity to purchase Q-txt credits either directly from a park’s website, prior to their visit, or at a location in the park. Lake Compounce will have its Q-txt credits booth close to the entrance gates of the park. Q-txt credits are then used to reserve a time for the most popular rides and attractions. By sending a simple text message, guests book their place in line. The Q-txt computer allocates a place and then a message is sent back to the cell phone with details of the reservation time and a unique code which is required to gain entry or verify the booking.

Lake Compounce is the oldest amusement park in the USA. It has been in continuous operation since 1846 and enters its 165th season in 2010. The park covers over 407 acres including a 23 acre lake and has more than 50 rides and attractions. Lake Compounce is operated by Palace Entertainment the largest operator of waterparks and family entertainment centers in North America. Palace Entertainment is part of the Parques Reunidos family of parks.

Jerry Brick, general manager of Lake Compounce said, “Q-txt is so easy to use and operate, there is no need for either us or our guests to hire or buy any additional equipment – everything happens on cell phones. Visitors will have a greater opportunity to enjoy their experience and to spend more time in our shops and restaurants, rather than standing in line. In addition to creating a new revenue stream for Lake Compounce we will be able to collect customer data to send messages on future events and special promotions; while being better able to view real time statistical information on the whereabouts and activities of visitors to the park. Lake Compounce has a long tradition of introducing new technology. It originally opened in 1846 following a series of experiments in electricity using the lake - so introducing cell phone technology to manage and reduce queue lines seems very appropriate.”

Colin Robertson, sales director at Lo-Q added, “Q-txt is a very cost effective way of introducing virtual line management into parks with a smaller number of rides. It is a perfect starting point for Lake Compounce and we will watch with interest the take-up of the credits purchased on-line and at the park. Visitors also see it as a pay-as you go method of reserving rides and attractions, without the need to physically stand in line for long periods of time. They simply turn up at their allocated time ready to go.”

Robertson concluded, “Lo-Q has developed a series of hi-tech solutions to get people out of queue lines so they can make the most of their day. In addition to Q-txt there is Q-bot, a simple to use hand held reservation device which also alerts visitors when it is time to ride and receives updates on downtimes or cancellations to help people plan their day.”

Lo-Q virtual queuing solutions are used in major theme parks around the world, including ten Six Flags theme parks in the USA and Canada, Dollywood near Tennessee USA, LEGOLAND® Windsor in the UK, Dreamworld in Australia, Parque Isla Magica in Spain and Mirabilanda in Italy, another member of the Parque Reunidos family.

ENDS

Further information about Lake Compounce and its press office at www.lakecompounce.com

About Lo-Q

Lo-Q plc is a UK publically traded company with subsidiary companies in USA and Canada. Lo-Q designs, installs and operates solutions that allow customers to make ride and show reservations when they visit a theme park or other attraction.

Its flagship product, the Q-bot system is a true virtual queuing system for theme parks. The Q-bot is a proprietary hand-held unit and is used in major theme parks around the world, including LEGOLAND® Windsor in the UK, Dreamworld in Australia, Mirabilandia in Italy and ten Six Flags theme parks in the USA and Canada and Dollywood near Tennessee, USA.

Q-txt is a mobile phone based reservation system for venues with a smaller number of queue lines. Q-txt is in use in a number of locations including Flamingo Land in Yorkshire, UK and Parque Isla Magica in Saville, Spain.

Lo-Q has extensive patent protection and owns the intellectual property rights in the system, its software and electronic design. Its headquarters are in Henley-on-Thames in the UK and its USA offices are near Atlanta, Georgia.

Link

Has anyone used the text system before? I had never heard of it. I used to be dead against Q-bots, but since the switch to the "reserve while walking around" type I've started using them on occasion (and loved having it every time I did.)

I feel like using someone's phone would save costs on devices and you wouldn't need any deposit, but am curious if there are any other issues that go with using your phone, like what happens if your phone battery dies. Also, how does it affect the difficulty employees have checking for proper reservations, if at all? I suppose it might make more sense at a smaller park though...

• 2 months later...

Has anybody used this system yet, or know any more details about it? The article says pay-per-ride, how much is each ride, and how many people is it good for? I'm going to LC soon, and was thinking about taking advantage of this for extra rides on Boulder Dash if necessary.

I havent used it yet but i have talked to people who have and basically you buy credits and each ride is so many credits but the credits per ride can change depending on how busy the park is, For instance if you went on a slower day the price for Boulderdash could be 1 credit and on busy days 3 credits. Here is how it works.

• 2 years later...

http://www.courant.com/community/bristol/hcrs-64062hc-bristol-20120806,0,7772341.story

Lake Compounce has begun their multi-million dollar water park expansion, and to celebrate has renamed the area Crocodile Cove. To pump up the excitement, a new twist on an old friend is back as the park's mascot. Kyle the Crocodile, nephew to Cyle who lived at Lake Compounce in the 1980's, has decided to make the Cove his permanent residence. He will be making appearances all over the park, and within the community throughout the Summer.

Per Sara Frias, the park's marketing director, Kyle is a 5-year-old, lovable amphibian who found his way to Crocodile Cove this Summer after a great recommendation from his uncle, Cyle. He stands about 6 feet tall and is two tone green in color. Sara says that Kyle's new favorite t-shirt is his Lake Compouce Crocodile Cove t-shirt which he wears often.

"Kyle is full of energy and enjoys making kids of all ages laugh" says Frias. "He also loves to have his picture taken, and has become quite the fan of Facebook, and he would love it if guests tag him in their photos every chance they get."

"With the massive expansion of our water park underway, and as a welcoming gesture to our new mascot, we felt it was a perfect time to rename the area," says Jerry Brick, the park's general manager. "This expansion is exciting because our water park has always been one of our most popular areas, and we are looking forward to accommodating even more guests, especially on those hot summer days."

Admission to the water park will remain free with park admission, and more rides and attractions will be added in the coming years. This year's new water feature is Riptide Racer, manufactured by Pro Slide Technology. The slide is a high speed competition water slide that revs up with an initial, radical dip to get racers up to speed quickly, as they race side by side down a 4-lane, multi-colored speed slide, head first. So far park's general manager Jerry Brick says the ride has been extremely well received.

"This waterslide sets itself apart from others, because it features intertwining dark tunnels, and the riders don't know who will win the race until they emerge from the tunnels and head toward the open racing lanes for one last stomach-dropping plunge," says Brick.

Edited by jedimaster1227

I was on Facebook this morning and came across this strange post from Lake Compounce.

As of now Wild Cat coaster will be down for the remainder of the season and Boulder Dash is closed on Sunday 8/19 for repairs. We will keep you updated of our progress

Link

I did a news search and read through the comments and couldn't find any more information but this seems very out of the ordinary. Does anyone know more?

Honestly I couldn't care less about wildcat. But boulder dash! I rode it Friday and got multiple rides on it and damn is it running fast this year! In all the 5 years I have ridden this coaster I never felt it run so fast as it did. Not even during nightime ert! The triple up almost hurt, and there was ejector even at the top in the back row. In fact, every hill had ejector to the point if my thighs being bruised after 6 rides. It seemed to have a faster lift and new wheels, so I really hope those repairs don't change how its running.

Last time we were there they told us that with this new modified BoulderDash it takes a lot of upkeep to keep it in a good, rideable condition. I'd rather the ride have some downtime and continue to run the way it's been running then to go back to what it used to be or worse turn into a typical CCI of that age!

Good riddance (for the season)!

Shame about Boulder Dash though. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Like others, I want it to keep running excellently as it has last year and apparently this year, and would hate to see it decline long-term.

Last time we were there they told us that with this new modified BoulderDash it takes a lot of upkeep to keep it in a good, rideable condition. I'd rather the ride have some downtime and continue to run the way it's been running then to go back to what it used to be or worse turn into a typical CCI of that age!

And whatever they're doing is working. I've never been able to ride an old CCI on a wheel seat without getting my spine shattered into thousands of pieces, but Boulder Dash was like butter!

This is so true. Really glad that those planned trims that they told us about in '08 never happened.

I'm feeling fortunate - I caught Dash on Tues. Such a hyped ride. At first it was underwhelming, but improved with each ride. How it holds its speed! Very nice.

Wildcat was closed. Oh well, sounds like I didn't miss much.

This doesn't look good....

Boulder dash will be down for approximately the next three days. We are taking the lift chain motor out tomorrow and sending it out to be rewound. We are sorry for any inconvenience but will work diligently to get Boulder back up.

I am planning to go to the park on Saturday for OkBoulderfest so I have been keeping an eye on their Facebook page.

I am sure the park is doing everything they can do to get Boulder Dash up and running since I am guessing this is a bit of a guest relations nightmare.

I can understand Boulder Dash being high maintenance, but being in the Kennywood chain, it always baffled me how they seem to have so many issues with the Wildcat, from closures like this to just being overall rough. Kennywood and Idlewild take fantastic care of their wooden coasters, and for being in the same chain since 1996, you'd think the Lake would do the same for Wildcat.

Well, I still wanna try and hit LC this season since I expect Boulder Dash to be up. Shame about Wildcat. Even if it's not good would like to hit another classic.

Guys think it'd still be worth going or wait till next year?

^The park is wonderful depending on what you like. If you only care about coasters then don't bother unless you are gauranteed to ride Boulder Dash. However, if you appreciate old traditional parks, their history, and their charm, enjoy soaking up that type of atmosphere, park food staples at reasonable prices, and a nice blend of traditional and a few modern rides then it's a fantastic park. If you only care about corporate parks with multi million dollar thrill rides then this park will be very lacking for you.

I'm pretty sure where Wildcat suffers is due to it's history with Summers and Dinn. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that some time in the 80s they were given the task of reworking Wildcat. With Boulder Dash getting the upgrade from GCI I'm wondering why they haven't had them rework Wildcat's trouble spots as well. It could be a decent ride at the least. I imagine it ran better in it's early years than it has since the Summers and Dinn deflowering.