TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Rumor has it Cedar Point will now close Maverick for the remainder of the season to install these restraints.

I love the season long Maverick redesign! Hopefully it will reopen at the, ehemm... scheduled time.

I really enjoyed riding Intimidator with the hard restraints and no trims on 5/14. It was a challenge every time for me to learn how to ride the ride. After a couple of laps, I figured out which ways to push my body and counter act the masterful Intamin chopping. I guess now I'll just have to take a more passive role and allow the ride to take me. Take me, Timmy, take me!! Ahhhhahaha!!

I might need to use my platinum pass again this year... quite a 14 hour drive from west of Chicago, though (but worth it).

-Rob

It seems that for some people, airtime = literally lifting from the seat, whereas for other people airtime is a slang term for any negative G forces. I prefer to be literally lifted off the seat, but I realize that's not always possible, and I'm glad that "airtime" can still exist even when that doesn't happen for me.

In other news, I definitely want to ride i305 and probably always will (until I do, that is ), but it's still great to hear about improvements. I think we all want the best ride possible, it's just that we vary in our definitions of that, and of how we deal with shortcomings.

You are correct young lady. I love to have my butt floated out of the seat . To me that's airtime . A tightly hugging restraint will prohibit that. That's my question.

Rumor has it Cedar Point will now close Maverick for the remainder of the season to install these restraints.

I love the season long Maverick redesign! Hopefully it will reopen at the, ehemm... scheduled time.

I really enjoyed riding Intimidator with the hard restraints and no trims on 5/14. It was a challenge every time for me to learn how to ride the ride. After a couple of laps, I figured out which ways to push my body and counter act the masterful Intamin chopping. I guess now I'll just have to take a more passive role and allow the ride to take me. Take me, Timmy, take me!! Ahhhhahaha!!

I might need to use my platinum pass again this year... quite a 14 hour drive from west of Chicago, though (but worth it).

-Rob

For the old restraints, there was actually an easy way to ensure that you'd never bang your head, not even once.

First of all, you need your hands in the air at all time. All you have to do after that is push both arms against the restraints while they're in the air. Don't know why, but it always works and I never get head-bangers when this happens.

I was down there yesterday. The new restraints are great. The only flaw is that they don't really allow airtime. But other than that they make the most intense ride I've ever been on better. Hands up all the time on Intimidator305 now with no worries of neck slamming. It's awesome.

-Rob

For the old restraints, there was actually an easy way to ensure that you'd never bang your head, not even once.

First of all, you need your hands in the air at all time. All you have to do after that is push both arms against the restraints while they're in the air. Don't know why, but it always works and I never get head-bangers when this happens.

I'll agree with that, but you shouldn't need to ride a certain way to avoid "head banging" or bruising. I rode it last weekend 15 times like you said, never banged my head but ended up with bruises on both arms. I'm guessing the new restraints eliminate that.

I might just be weird but really the only part of the Maverick style restraints that I hate is the lower, solid portion that goes over your thighs. Every spot of air my thighs get murdered (and this isn't just on Maverick). I need to learn a way to ride these Intamins without getting thigh raped.

It's great that Intamin did change the upper portion of the restraint for I305 though, maybe they'll keep this type of restraint from now on for future coasters? I don't like getting my neck judo-chopped.

^ Maybe this is just me, but when I rode Maverick, those restraints seemed to tighten after the ride began. I personally did not experience any head banging, but my legs were slightly sore after riding. I rode in different seats, and different times throughout the day, and it was the same every time. It was as if I was stapled. The ride was still a big highlight of my trip though!

^ Maybe this is just me, but when I rode Maverick, those restraints seemed to tighten after the ride began. I personally did not experience any head banging, but my legs were slightly sore after riding. I rode in different seats, and different times throughout the day, and it was the same every time. It was as if I was stapled. The ride was still a big highlight of my trip though!

I believe this is caused by the forces applied on the ride actually.

I went up to KD today to check out these new restraints for myself, and I have to say that the park has made a wise choice. The straps definitely eliminate the "neck chopping" some folks were complaining about earlier and are a excellent addition to I-305. The ride was a walkon for most of the day (the park wasn't too busy, probably thanks to the brutal heat and humidity, but I did bump into fellow TPR member Dave Lawrence--haven't seen him since the Scandi trip last year). Thanks for hanging out with me, Dave.

All in all, I-305 is still a fantastic ride, and our last ride of the day was particularly great. Here are a few pictures.

01.jpg.71ed61bb90db924cfb6c1c3bfd283e9d.jpg

Trottin' over to I-305 first thing.

02.jpg.6c3aa886336bf90af383083ef624b231.jpg

Strappy strap strap!

03.jpg.8789286a4312496680894e9d72d02a7d.jpg

And away they go! They seemed to be having some lifthill problems this morning, as a number of trains would stop just short of the top for moment, then head over. (Appeared to be resolved later in the day.)

04.jpg.e3b39140405ebc6b74d01f04db0e32f4.jpg

World . . . growing . . . dim . . . never mind, it's OK now!

05.jpg.4bc05f34faecf83c25085584c27fca5a.jpg

These "twisty" bits are no longer a problem. (Personally, I was OK with the old restraints, but these new ones are good.)

06.jpg.d8014ec34223a8bef4607a1d3c270846.jpg

Why, look--it's Dave!

07.jpg.14303f4f6452b570bd6ad8222a967119.jpg

Lots of happy riders--and not much of a line, at all.

08.jpg.915b3ec3da48f000fe848d534531317f.jpg

And now, KD's "World of Color"! (The bit of spray from these sprinklers was actually welcome today--whew, it was a hot one!)

So they're still having problems with the lift again? Those problems cost us a night ride yesterday.

It was hot as an oven at the park yesterday but that didn't seem to stop the crowds from showing up as the park was pretty busy all day,I just couldn't believe my luck when I ran into a couple of friends from my area over at anaconda yesterday evening.

To anyone in the area that has access to the local weather reports, is it worth it to make a 5 hour drive there tomorrow? I see on the Weather Channel site they predict PM thunderstorms, but I've gone by them before and they've been completely wrong.

To anyone in the area that has access to the local weather reports, is it worth it to make a 5 hour drive there tomorrow? I see on the Weather Channel site they predict PM thunderstorms, but I've gone by them before and they've been completely wrong.

I usually always go when it's forecasted for rain, because the parks empty and the rides are only closed for an hour or so, if closed at all.

But I have a season pass and I'm not too far away.

For a 5 hour drive, I'd wait until, say Wednesday, when it's sunny and forecasted in the mid 80s.

I usually always go when it's forecasted for rain, because the parks empty and the rides are only closed for an hour or so, if closed at all.

For a 5 hour drive, I'd wait until, say Wednesday, when it's sunny and forecasted in the mid 80s.

Yeah...the thing with me is that I went to SFGAdv 2 years ago and they predicted rain and T-Storms, and not only did it not do either, but it was perfect out. I also figure that there is at least Flight of Fear to ride if it does rain or storm.

TWC has it down for a 30% chance of precipitation, but I wasn't sure if any of the local weather stations had anything different.

So they're still having problems with the lift again? Those problems cost us a night ride yesterday.

They were in the morning, but not in the afternoon.

Yeah...the thing with me is that I went to SFGAdv 2 years ago and they predicted rain and T-Storms, and not only did it not do either, but it was perfect out. I also figure that there is at least Flight of Fear to ride if it does rain or storm.

TWC has it down for a 30% chance of precipitation, but I wasn't sure if any of the local weather stations had anything different.

Flight of Fear is still closed during thunderstorms.

Who knows, but I might go tomorrow, rain or shine.

Plus, I also made the mistake that the park would be empty when it's 104 degrees outside. Not only did I get heat exhaustion again, (almost lol) I only got a few rides in.

Flight of Fear is still closed during thunderstorms.

Who knows, but I might go tomorrow, rain or shine.

Plus, I also made the mistake that the park would be empty when it's 104 degrees outside. Not only did I get heat exhaustion again, (almost lol) I only got a few rides in.

I can't imagine it being crowded on a Monday, but what do I know.

Also, does anyone know where to get discount tickets or coupons? I found tickets for $27.50, but KD's site wouldn't take my card, so I can't buy it. I'd hate to show up tomorrow and be SOL.

Eh, screw it. I'll have enough time to get on Intimidator and that's all I really care about. It's a shame they wouldn't take my stupid debit card though, I really would've liked to get a ticket for $27.

If anyone's in the park today get at me on Twitter @jjlinnjj or Facebook message me.