TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Did someone call for pictures? Oh, I have those!

25993724_Giant251.jpg.116f53925af96434208c683ae284580c.jpg

Here is the drop with the bunny hill double up following on Friday evening

1028287029_Giant252.jpg.2fd43162b5ca926f1ffc6e3941545dfa.jpg

Here is what the new track will be doing in case it's hard to see

14088703_Giant253.jpg.f64ece9afb04d69c6cf1c18436020149.jpg

Here is the old structure following the bunny hill double up.

15540058_Giant261.jpg.606a27b8182565b12c59897b11de3804.jpg

By Saturday afternoon they had tracked it!

1637116664_Giant262.jpg.cfcf05a543a0e0983ef88de0476050f6.jpg

It really levels off before it heads up to the old turn. the airtime is going to be amazing!

1694280876_TPRTemp.png.8c4ac9ee1ebe548a1e8bd3c2e50dbeae.png

And here is the latest diagram. There we have it folks!

Good god, that double up looks like it's going to be absolutely insane. The speed it's going to be taking that is going to be crazy. If this is just the beginning of the ride, I'm excited to see what happens with the rest of the ride.

Oh boy. This makes me want to take a texas trip even more next summer. That looks insanely intense! Just when I consider all the possibilities of the layout, this happens. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of construction as it progresses.

Well I just want to point out that they aren't claiming that much will change with the ride. This may be the only major addition that the profile gets. With a steeper drop there was more room in the pull out section to add this in. I had been theorizing all along that they would have to put in a double up, or a nasty flat section at the bottom of the drop. This totally blew my expectation away, but I wouldn't anticipate any other major changes just yet. The rest of the ride's structure still has the profile in tact except for the midcourse brake, and the helix. The helix was the only part of the ride I thought needed to change anyways, so here is hoping. Anywho, my whole point is I hope people don't start complaining if we don't see any other changes because there is nothing to imply there will be any.

Thanks for the update! I'm really excited to see this thing progress...and where those 90 degree turns will come into play!

Will there still be that little shift in direction at the top of the first drop?

Well I just want to point out that they aren't claiming that much will change with the ride. This may be the only major addition that the profile gets. With a steeper drop there was more room in the pull out section to add this in. I had been theorizing all along that they would have to put in a double up, or a nasty flat section at the bottom of the drop. This totally blew my expectation away, but I wouldn't anticipate any other major changes just yet. The rest of the ride's structure still has the profile in tact except for the midcourse brake, and the helix. The helix was the only part of the ride I thought needed to change anyways, so here is hoping. Anywho, my whole point is I hope people don't start complaining if we don't see any other changes because there is nothing to imply there will be any.

Thanks for pointed that out to us. Your so smart to have theorized that they would have gone with a double up. Please keep us updated with any other theories, ideas, or simply your thoughts that you may have. Thanks again.

^No problem. Thanks for the insight. I do think I heard of a few other changes that were going to be made. Something like a 90 degree banked turn, along with a few other elements. I dont live so close to SFOT so im sure you have a much better idea on how the ride will turn out. I like what I see so far though

Thanks to all for the updates and photos. This is a fun project to watch.

http://www.amusementtoday.com/

The enhancement project on the Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas took another major step forward today, or in this case a forward drop, as in the coaster's steep first drop being installed. Workers from Rocky Mountain Construction Group installed the steepest sections of the Giant's new first drop, now measured at 79-degrees, with the anchoring of the steel Iron Horse coaster track to the coaster's wooden structure. The super hybrid coaster was topped off several weeks ago and now stands 10 feet taller than before, pushing the ride to beyond 150-feet in total height. When the ride reopens in 2011, it will reach speeds in excess of 65 mph and feature the 79-degree first drop and 95-degree banked curves. Shown here, workers install the steel rails for the first drop, Park President Steve Martindale discusses the ride's new features with the media, and two bottom views show the new valley and pullout after the first drop.

TexasGiantJuly1.gif.a541838f829557405b4cd44bb98ebef0.gif

Nothing we don't know already, but heres a short video clip from our local news!! I am really looking forward to this, I'm getting pretty excited!!

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Progress-report-Texas-Giant-roller-coaster-97644004.html

Awesome. It's great to see video footage of this process. Thanks for sharing the link.