Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 935: Copperhead Strike construction photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Re: The Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:23 pm

My post/video of Carowinds' Hurler and its bottom-of-the-first-drop trims has prompted a similar discussion over at rec.roller-coaster. As I said there (and agreed with other posters), these trim brakes completely rob the minimal airtime both Hurlers once offered. Furthermore, the arrested velocity exacerbates the violent hunting the PTC trains have to endure. At least with more speed, the trains negotiated the problem areas faster. Now, they're just fighting their way around the course.

It's sad that these ride's have come to this. I remember attending the media days for both coasters back in the day. Though the layout and profile is a bit less than imaginative, they were at least smooth, fast and somewhat entertaining. But today ... not so much. :?r

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:56 pm

SeaWhippet wrote:Though the layout and profile is a bit less than imaginative, they were at least smooth, fast and somewhat entertaining. But today ... not so much. :?r

Agreed. It's quite sad really. There was one point that I really, REALLY liked Hurler quite a bit actually. Granted in the mid-90s my coaster count wasn't as high to make as many comparisons as I do now, but they were really enjoyable rides and it's just been a bummer to go back to those parks and see them deteriorate more and more...

--Robb

East Coast Wes don't smell, honest.

Postby bgwfreak777 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:41 am

^ I totally agree. What's crazy is that back in the first two seasons, the best place was the back row. Now I'd be killed if I rode back there.

coasterbilly wrote: I also enjoyed it's older brother Thunder Road at KK too,

Um, that would be Thunder Run. Thunder Road is at Carowinds. :lol:

Eurofighters are Red Dawn Awesome!

Postby Pufferfish » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:34 pm

This is quite upsetting, I just rode Hurler the first time this year and yes, all the airtime is now gone. I miss it's glory days, back wen I was able to ride about 10 times in a row with it running extremely smooth with great air. What makes the least amount of sense right now is that last year, right after the trim was added, it was still giving decent airtime over pretty much all of the hills. Anyways at least I can report one good thing. Nighthawk was running amazingly well today, didn't hurt at all.
Just keep swimming...

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Pufferfish wrote:Anyways at least I can report one good thing. Nighthawk was running amazingly well today, didn't hurt at all.

That's because you had the master behind the wheel. ;)

Postby Pufferfish » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:11 pm

^ The second ride was better, and you weren't driving then. :P
Just keep swimming...

Postby bgwfreak777 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:34 pm

I rode Hurler again tonight and like Puffer said, the ride has ZERO air now.

It has 2 trims at the base of the first drop, and while they don't hit hard like say Beast or Mean Streak, they are enough that it knocks it down slow enough that you don't have the speed for air time.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:18 pm

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Vehicles-broken-into-at-Carowinds-97094104.html

Police are looking for the person, or people who broke into several cars at Carowinds theme park on Wednesday.

Authorities say at least three people reported break-ins and one person said that someone tried to use a credit card that was stolen from her vehicle.

Carowinds security officials are reviewing the video footage from the time frame of the thefts.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby bgwfreak777 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:22 am

Why in the world would you leave your credit card in your car? :roll:

On Intimidator, I rode it Friday morning before the masses came in (2nd train out) the 2nd trim didn't even fire and needless to say it was an amazing ride. First trim just tapped the train.

Hoping for many more rides this morning, as last Monday was dead at that park.

Postby Pufferfish » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:00 pm

I would just like to announce this awesome news, this past week on the 1st and the 4th we held a big competition between Behemoth, Diamondback, and us to see who could get the highest capacity. I am proud to announce that we won on Thursday, beating both rides by over 1000 guests. No official results have been released to us yet on Sunday's results, but I will inform you as soon as I hear.
Just keep swimming...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!