Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

P. 107: Runaway Tram (Family coaster) coming in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Morey's Piers Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Mon May 24, 2010 6:44 pm

As someone who grew up going to the Jersey Shore and being terrified with the Haunted Mansion at Long Branch, Brigantine Castle and numerous shorter walk thrus at Seaside Heights with scare actors I'm very much looking forward to this.

I really want this attraction to succeed and didn't understand the magnitude of the project until this article.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:10 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby exmouse » Fri May 28, 2010 12:48 pm

“Ghost Ship” Has Come In to Morey’s Piers

Revealed to Guests on Saturday, May 29, at Noon

The Wildwoods, NJ – May 28, 2010 – On Saturday, May 29, at noon, guests of Morey’s Piers can experience a “Ghost Ship” for the first time. The new attraction, shrouded in mystery and code named “Project 5292010,” is now revealed as a frightfully haunting walk-thru known as “Ghost Ship.” The attraction is a 14,000 square foot cargo ship named “Ignis Fatuus,” the result of a “Philadelphia Experiment” gone horribly wrong, that apparently crash-landed into Morey’s Piers, at the site of the former miniature golf course. Ghost Ship is a completely immersive experience featuring costumed actors and animatronics – an attraction not seen on the Wildwood boardwalk or the Jersey Shore in a number of years.

“The Ghost Ship was reincarnated from the original Seaport miniature golf course that our father, Will Morey Sr. and architect Fred Langford, dreamed up in the early 80s. Numerous ideas came forth, but in the end we decided to get back into the custom-built, classic boardwalk attractions business,” noted President Will Morey.

The construction began in January 2010 under the direction of Jack Morey. Over 100 designers, technicians, and builders took part in the formation of Ghost Ship, costing well over $1 million to construct.

“To the Dreamers and Dream Builders, we cannot thank them enough. From concept artists, architects, engineers, graphic designers, writers, scenic painters, special effects experts, actors, and artisans to carpenters, electricians, steel workers, laborers, and numerous other trades that all came together for one specific purpose: to build the world’s best haunted walk-thru attraction right here in Wildwood, USA,” says Jack Morey, Executive Vice President.

Ghost Ship presents a new twist on the “Philadelphia Experiment,” the famous conspiracy theory about an experiment that supposedly made a U.S. naval ship invisible.

Lasting nearly half an hour, Ghost Ship involves live actors (the total number of which will remain a mystery) in a haunted setting. The ride is included as part of the Morey’s amusement wristband. Without a wristband, the ride will cost 12 tickets per visit, or $11.40. The ride is NOT recommended for children under 12 years of age.

Asked if the attraction was really scary, Jack Morey replied, “We just may need to hand out ‘Depends’ upon boarding!”

###

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun May 30, 2010 1:35 am

So Friday night/Saturday morning I was one of the first to experience Morey's Pier's Ghost Ship.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get many good pictures. It was very crowded during the announcements so I could not get close to the stage, my camera is not great at night shots, pictures are not allowed inside the attraction.

A little after 11:45 those which VIP Boarding Passes were allowed to enter Mariner's Landing Pier and were given a flashlight and Preview Booklet as keepsakes. As the crowds (I estimate 250-300 people) neared the attraction a couple of sideshow entertainers were there to work the crowd. After 15 minutes two members of the Morey family spoke to the crowd saying that Jack Morey would discuss the attraction in more detail soon.

Pre-opening action alternated between the sideshow entertainer performances and a couple of characters appearing with Jack Morey to set the storyline.

The characters included the wisecracking taskmaster of a captain, his bumbling engineer and a scientist from North Atlantic Paranormal Society trying to stop the Grand Opening until he could further investigate paranormal activity on the ship.

In a nutshell, the Ingus Fatuus is a relic of the Philadelphia Experiment urban legend. The legend being that Einstein's theories were used during World War II in an attempt to make a ship invisible. Now we have a dilapidated ship that has irradiated residents aboard.

The attraction is shoehorned under some of the water slides. Although I did not see the Ghost Ship in daylight, it is a very impressive sight at night. Personally, I was really looking forward to the ride, as the Jersey Shore used to be home to multiple walkthrough of a substantial nature, the Haunted Mansion at Long Branch and Brigantine Castle come to mind. In the end the attraction did not disappoint. It took about 15 minutes to walk through and the scare actors did a great job.

Around 12:30 they started letting guests enter the queue as green smoke/fog was emanating from the ship (not sure if the smoke/fog was only for the preview event) Just as the attraction will normally operate, they let only 10 people in at a time (every 3-5 minutes) to keep groups separated to maximize surprises. The first room has a video introduction from a member of the Paranormal Society warning you about the ship and then you start your journey. Detailing inside the ship is excellent, not to the degree Universal Haunt Events with Easter Eggs, but Moreys is working with a much smaller budget. Some rooms have animatronics, some have live actors and some have both. Scare actors with props and shaker cans pop out from above, below and all sides when not utilizing drop windows. Some actors roam around, some are behind bars and some are able escape from their rooms just as you think you are safe. If I had to guess I would say they had 15-20 scare actors working last night. Air blasts, strobe lights, disorienting rooms also fit the bill of adding extra scare factor.

Afterwards Morey's Pier had bottled water and appetizers set-up at no charge to snack on.

My apologies for the quality and lack of quantity of the pictures.
PICT0264.JPG
Crowds started gathering well before the announced 11:45 opening time.
PICT0265.JPG
Don't believe everything you read.
PICT0269.JPG
Not real fire nor toxic fumes, just special effects.
PICT0271.JPG
One of the sideshow entertainers warming up the crowd.
PICT0286.JPG
A blurry picture of the Paranormal scientist, bumbling engineer, gruff captain and Jack Morey doing their schtick.
PICT0290.JPG
The fireeater's act allows me to capture the ride sign and the ship. Yes, they built the ship around the suspended sky gondola, but I don't recall the gondola being visible when you are doing the walk through.
PICT0300.JPG
Green fog escaping from the ship.
PICT0303.JPG
Exterior of the Ignis Fatuus
PICT0304.JPG
Menu of the free appetizers provided.
PICT0305.JPG
These are the Screaming Tuna Melts. The olives were arranged to make it look like a screaming face.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun May 30, 2010 1:53 am.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I'm 39 and can't find the Shift Key

Postby fatdaddy » Sun May 30, 2010 1:52 am

Looks awesome, i really want a screaming tuna melt.

Screaming tuna melts is what i call the diarrhea after my wifes tuna salad. < (bad off color humor)
WHO'S YOUR DADDY?

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:39 am

http://www.amusementtoday.com/

Morey’s Piers has opened a brand-new contemporary boardwalk family restaurant known as Joe's Fish Co. at Morey’s Surfside Pier, located at 25th Street in North Wildwood.

Joe's Fish Co. is named after the late eatery entrepreneur, Joe Marchiano – the founder of Curley’s Fries. The new boardwalk eatery, under the direction of Executive Chef Wally Jurusz, expands upon the Curley’s Fries location in front of Morey’s Surfside Pier in North Wildwood and offers a wide selection of menu options for hungry boardwalk patrons.

“Joe's will serve locally caught fish, locally grown produce, by our local Executive Chef Wally Jurusz,” notes Executive Vice President, Jack Morey, “but the beer, wine, and tequila for our specialty margaritas will all be international.”

Jurusz intends to emphasize local and regional finfish and shellfish, and will also offer a variety of non-seafood items. Entrées will include brick oven pizzas, hearty salads, sharable appetizers and Morey’s famous "Curley Fries." In addition, sandwiches like panini, burgers and wraps will be served. Joe's Fish Co. will also offer a variety of drink options. Besides a selection of sodas and the boardwalk's celebrated "Lemon Shake Up,” there will be bottled and draft beers, wine by the glass and bottle, and Joe's Fish Co.'s signature drink, the Margarita.

Notes Morey’s Executive Vice President, Jack Morey, “Joe's is designed to celebrate both the Shore and the Boardwalk in a fresh and re-inventive manner. Our goal is to make the boardwalk a destination for great amusement attractions and great food.”
JoesFishChefWally.gif
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:50 pm

http://www.shorenewstoday.com/index.php/wildwood-mainmenu/wildwood-leader/1623-mega-coaster-in-the-wildwoods-future.html

On the ECC’s next visit to the Wildwoods, it may be enjoying a new, state-of-the-art roller coaster. The company is in the last stages of planning an elaborate coaster that would start on Surfside Pier, near the Nor’easter, and work its way across that pier, the adjoining beach, and a portion of Hunts Pier before returning to Surfside.

Interviewed some months ago, when the plan was winding its way through local approvals, Mike Porch, who was then Executive Director of Main Street, praised the new attraction. “This will help surrounding businesses, and will help maintain the Wildwoods as a first-class tourist designation,” Porch said. “It may even spearhead us through the present economic crisis. “There's a lot of competition out there – what’s the best, hottest new roller coaster, and some people actually plan their trips around these rides.”

According to the Morey Organization’s Clark Doran, the company enjoyed “smooth sailing” in obtaining local approvals from North Wildwood’s planning board approval and Wildwood’s zoning board, and now is awaiting a CAFRA permit. “We’re optimistic about that last approval,” he said. “We’re very excited about the project, and boardwalk merchants are thrilled.” Doran said that the multimillion-dollar project will take approximately a year “in fabrication,” and a year of on-site construction.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks for the report, Larry. Ghost Ship sounds/looks like a really cool new attraction.

And I'm excited to hear more about this new coaster project!

(22:06:18) ajc47: who are the obnoxious ones? (22:07:16) tatertot3710: Mr. Starr, jeremie, deathbydinn

Postby tatertot3710 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Wow, I just realized that the article was about the GCI Woodie that they've been planning for a few years now. Good to hear it's in it's final planning stages!
Last Credit: Stinger (Dorney Park, 4/28) -- Bringing coaster count to 83

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:25 pm

Oh, yeah.

This donkey is a Know-it-All

Postby andyuk200523 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:45 pm

All photo rights goto the European Coaster Club and Justin Garvanovic.....

Andrew

Not sure when next trip is, however May/June 2013 - Canada Baby!!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!