TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

EDIT: Some servey markers have been recently spotted in the Comet Hollow area and from the looks of them, they are strikingly similar to Fahrenheit's when it was under construction. By the end of summer I am going to be moving out there and going to college nearby, so if this is what I am thinking it could be, I'll have to see about posting updates about it.

Screamscape says it's for a B&M. But, isn't everything at Hershey, for the past decade or so, a B&M til it's announced?

I went to Hersheypark during the Boy Scout Wildlife Weekend Event. During that we went to watch a show called the falconry experience. On our way over there we asked our tour guide where we were going because we borded a bus and went around hersheypark and back behind the lighting racer. She said that we were going to and old golf course that they had closed down. The show was just there for the weekend because the seats were some wood bleachers. On our way in we passed a shed with what looked like a ride underneath a tarp. I asked what it was and she said that it was an old ride from the park. The more i looked the more it looked like the old chaos ride. The show was great and when it was over we went back to hersheypark. The reason I told you that was to tell you this. If the said golf course that everyone is talking about for this "new coaster" is this one than it is a perfect fit.

According to Hersheypark's Facebook page, their new iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad app has been released:

The Brand New FREE Hersheypark iPhone App is LIVE! The App features:- Interactive GPS Map

- Ride/Attraction information (ride heights, thrill level, ride description, photo)

-Real-time ride closure information

-Show times

-Hershey Attractions Hours

-Checklist, etc. Visit iTunes to download the App today!

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fapp%2Fhersheypark%2Fid372038569%3Fmt%3D8&h=73ce1

Disney Parks also does this. I saw them promote this for the Magic Kingdom on the Disney Channel.

by Tunaboy407 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:18 pm

I went to Hersheypark during the Boy Scout Wildlife Weekend Event. During that we went to watch a show called the falconry experience. On our way over there we asked our tour guide where we were going because we borded a bus and went around hersheypark and back behind the lighting racer. She said that we were going to and old golf course that they had closed down. The show was just there for the weekend because the seats were some wood bleachers. On our way in we passed a shed with what looked like a ride underneath a tarp. I asked what it was and she said that it was an old ride from the park. The more i looked the more it looked like the old chaos ride. The show was great and when it was over we went back to hersheypark. The reason I told you that was to tell you this. If the said golf course that everyone is talking about for this "new coaster" is this one than it is a perfect fit.

You mentioned that you thought you saw Chaos stored out in this area, that wouldn't surprise me because less than a year before Boardwalk construction began, I believed they stored those little structures that they used to project the lasers for Nightlights out there. At least I thought I saw a few of them when we drove by around that time. Now they're using them in the Boardwalk, at least they're not sitting there like Chaos' old booth which has remained in its current spot, untouched, since early 2006.

I've got a question for anyone who's gone this year, specifically on a weekday. I have the ridehopper thing on my iphone and its been showing wait times of 10-15 minutes every day. Has it really been that light this year? I've been going the last few years and its been getting more packed every time I go.

I've got a question for anyone who's gone this year, specifically on a weekday. I have the ridehopper thing on my iphone and its been showing wait times of 10-15 minutes every day. Has it really been that light this year? I've been going the last few years and its been getting more packed every time I go.

During the weekdays, the crowds have been light... ESPECIALLY on Mondays and Tuesdays. Fridays and Saturdays are always busy.

- Ride Op

Hersheypark has sent us a press release about their commemoration of the Amusement Ride Safety Week.

Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture Secretary Russell C. Redding presented a proclamation from Governor Edward G. Rendell to Frank O'Connell, Hersheypark general manager, in recognition of Amusement Ride Safety Week, May 31-June 6, 2010.

Hersheypark hosted the press conference on May 27 to kick-off Amusement Ride Safety Week. Media in attendance were invited to watch as members of the Hersheypark maintenance team inspected Fahrenheit, the Park's 11th roller coaster.

10paridesafety.jpg.9c4fba20a943c82425cf15a4bf416290.jpg

Secretary Redding presenting the proclamation to Frank O'Connell.

Every time there is talk about Hersheypark getting a new rollercoaster I open up good old Microsoft Paint and come up with what *I* think they should get! Of course over the past few years all I've wanted was a hypercoaster and a drop tower, so I'm never right. Since there are apparently survey markers by the Comet, here's my prediction

PS- In all actuality, I'm praying they don't throw something else down by the Great Bear, Coal Cracker, and SDL! Comet Hollow is already dominated by the Great Bears funky supports.

Untitled.jpg.81c80ce6daa737c16944eb27c8103783.jpg

Short and sweet HYPERCOASTER!

Screamscape is saying there is a rumor Sooperdooperlooper could be removed for this new coaster. I really hope that doesn't happen. With Laser removed from Dorney, it's the last Schwarzkopf looper in the area and it's my favorite steel coaster at the park. Plus it is a great first looping coaster for people to try, I knew that since it only had 1 loop, if I didn't like it, there were no more inversions compared to other coasters that have 3 - 7 inversions that I would have been more hesitant to try.

Screamscape is saying there is a rumor Sooperdooperlooper could be removed for this new coaster. I really hope that doesn't happen. With Laser removed from Dorney, it's the last Schwarzkopf looper in the area and it's my favorite steel coaster at the park. Plus it is a great first looping coaster for people to try, I knew that since it only had 1 loop, if I didn't like it, there were no more inversions compared to other coasters that have 3 - 7 inversions that I would have been more hesitant to try.

Yeah, I saw that too, about Sooperdooperlooper. I hope it's not true. Sooperdooperlooper was the first roller coaster I ever rode. I'd be sad to see it go.

That is a disappointing rumor to hear. Let's face it though, when was the last time you waited in a long line for the ride? I think it still fetches a 20-30 minute wait once in a while in the very busy summer months, but that is by far the lowest wait time for the major coasters in the park. It would be sad to see it go, but the popularity of the ride is no longer there. I compare that to when I went to the park 15-20 years ago. Sure I was young, but I remember the coaster being much more popular. It is one of the old guys on the block now. It happens.

^ I completely agree.....there have really been no lines for it each summer I go in June. I'm heading there on the 23rd and 24th....so I'll definately be riding it a few more times incase it's not there the following year.

Of course it is not gonna have long lines when there are so many other coasters there. I really hope it doesn't go anywhere because that is one of few classic rides left around anywhere that is equally enjoyable. That is where I cut the teeth of my niece and nephew at a very young age on coasters due to the lower than average height requirement it carried. With its location and topography of the area there really isn't anything off the top of my head that could feasibly take it's place along the lines of a "big" thrill ride. Didn't they have issues with Great Bear as far as why the supports are built like they are because of the creek? I really don't see anything else getting "oddball" supports for the sake of cramming a huge coaster down in Comet Hollow.

Well my friends, I've just received a PM from a fellow member over at Keystone Thrills who knows the inside scoop (has a friend who works for the park) and has informed me the following:

Those markings in Comet Hollow are for a new roller coaster. The coaster station will either be at Creekside Catering or where the current Comet Hollow bathrooms, Tilt-a-Whirl, and former Paddleboats were. The coaster will be designed by Intamin or Premier. B&M is out of the mix. The coaster will be coming in 2012, but there's always the possibility it could be bumped up to 2011.

If you were able to walk around the areas where the new coaster will run through, you'd be amazed at the room that there is. Old walkways that haven't been used since the 70s would be used for space. The space between Comet and the Founder's Circle kiddie rides would be used. This won't be a small coaster coming in.

I do not see this happening in 2012 when the markings are already out this early. I strongly predict that this will be a 2011 project and that maybe we'll expect some kind of an announcement later this season.

http://www.blooloop.com/PressReleases/New-Attraction-Hershey-s-Create-Your-Own-Candy-Bar-Opens-Its-Factory-Doors-for-Visitors/2294

The Hershey Company and Hershey'sChocolate World attraction announce the grand opening of their newest experience, Hershey's Create Your Own Candy Bar, an interactive, hands-on attraction that immerses guests in the candy bar creation process. The family-fun attraction marks the first time Hershey will give consumers the ability to select their favorite candy bar ingredients, see authentic equipment in operation and design packaging for their custom chocolate candy bar.

"Hershey's Chocolate World's new Create Your Own Candy Bar attraction will allow each guest to play the role of a chocolate innovator," says Amy Hahn, General Manager, The Hershey Experience. "Giving people a chance to create their own chocolate bar and see how authentic factory equipment operates is not common in the chocolate industry. It marks another reason to visit Hershey's Chocolate World."

Wearing authentic outfits, including factory aprons and hairnets, guests will become the newest member of the Hershey innovationteam. Using similar equipment as Hershey factories, guests will create their custom candy bar by pulling a lever to activate the machinery and dispense ingredients. Guests can select up to three inclusions in each bar, choosing from ingredients such as graham crackers crumbs, crisped rice, blueberry fruit gels, chocolate cookie bits, vanilla chips and rainbow jimmies. After the inclusions are added, the candy bars are drenched in pure Hershey®'s Milk Chocolate. Guests can even determine if they'd like to top their candy bar with Hershey®'s Kisses®-shaped sprinkles. After the bar cools, it is sealed, packaged and personalized with custom packaging that guests design at an interactive kiosk.

Unique to the chocolate industry, Create Your Own Candy Bar provides guests with the opportunity to track their customized bar in every step of the process, from start to finish, and watch as their name is transformed into its very own candy bar brand.

Create Your Own Candy Bar officially debuts to the general public at Hershey's Chocolate World attraction on Saturday, June 12, 2010 and will have an admission price of $14.95 per person, which includes the 30-minute experience and custom bar. For more information, visit HersheysChocolateWorld.com.

I was at Hershey Park on Thursday and the Create Your Candy was open in the morning for a VIP tour. We went back in the evening and it was open to the public. After spending all day in the park with two children and a pregnant wife, I could not convince them to try it out. In fact NO ONE was doing it once they saw the 14.95 price tag. I saw a lot of people see the price and turn away.

I would have like to have done just the Hershey Kiss packaging part of the tour which is right as you enter the area, but it seems to be an all or nothing sort of tour.

The latest from Screamscape:

The latest rumors swirling around Hersheypark’s next big coaster project actually now throw Premier Rides into the mix with Intamin as well… and hint that B&M is now more unlikely. Many also seem to think that the project may not be until the 2012 season, though with surveying going on right now, anything can happen.

As for those markers, I’ve been contacted by a reader with some professional experience as an actual surveyor and was told that the markings we’ve seen so far have nothing at all to do with the layout of the project. All of the triangle markings found so far have a “Mag Nail” driven into the asphalt in the center and are actually “Control Points”, which are then usually number sequentially as they are created. These points mark the locations the surveyors use to work from... and not the location of the project itself. If people look hard enough, there should be more of these Control Points discovered around the site, as they are set up in a loop around the actual area where the work will be done. So once all the different Control Points are discovered, we should have a large loop surrounding the overall location of the new project area. However the loop could be quite large... much larger than the actual project itself, as I’m told that the permitter loop would also include any and all sites where other infrastructure work (electric, water, sewer, roads, walkways, etc) will also be modifed or tied into.

So really the best thing to do right now, other than to find more markers, would be to also create an overhead map showing off the location of each discovered and numbered marker as time goes on.

Sorry to jump in with a random question, but how crowded is the park on Sundays in the summer? I live about 2 hours away and I haven't been in 10 years, but the only day I can really go is Sundays. Is it totally brutal? Thanks!!