Custom models of Sheikra, TTD, Insane and now Manta!

Pg 32 - Manta Complete. 30+ pictures. Thanks for following!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Upload files from No Limits, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc...
Discuss CoasterDynamix, KNEX Models, and more random stuff!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Models of Sheikra, TTD, Insane and now Manta!

Postby hobbit » Thu May 20, 2010 1:21 am

Whoow great pictures !! good work !!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu May 20, 2010 9:13 am

Very, very cool! I love building models but have never done anything like what you are doing. Nice job and I can't wait to see it finished.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby PortugePunk » Sat May 22, 2010 1:39 am

super cool! nice progress!

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Steelinwood » Sat May 22, 2010 7:40 am

How are you going to paint this? Any types of paint?
STUCK IN NH

I get wet for Manta!

Postby themeparkman25 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:09 am

Matt- Thank you for the kind words. I too am very glad to have construction back under way. End results should be around thanksgiving without any major set backs.

Sid-The next phase as in the in line twist? haha. Just giving you a hard time.

Mightbeawannabe-Well I am glad that you read all the way through the thread. Hopefully you enjoyed watching the progression of the rides from simple beginnings all the way to completion. As a side note, the material I am using for Manta is actually model railroad plastic, called styrene. Fun stuff! Hope you keep watching this thread!

Rebecca-I was going to say that you have never seen any of my models and then i realized you have in fact seen Insane and part of Manta. Go you!

Hobbit-Thanks bud. On a different note, I cannot wait to ride the coaster in your avatar this summer!

Bob-Thanks for the nice words. The models are certainly time consuming and almost monotonous, but the end produce definitely makes it all worthwhile. 31 days until Europe!

Portugepunk-Thanks, bud!

Steelinwood-Haven't really crossed that bridge yet. Before I purchased all the supplies, my supplier actually sent me pictures of them bending the spine (to see if it cooperated in the way I needed) and painting it. So though I do not really know what I will be using to paint the ride, it should hopefully work now because it worked before. It will be painted the colors of the real ride, obviously. AND, unlike all the other models, Manta will be hand painted versus being spray painted.

I started on the second half of the pretzel today, so woohoo! I have not done as much in the past week as I would have liked, but work as slammed me. I have monday and tuesday off, so expect a lot of work to be done during those two days. Thanks for reading.
Follow the construction of my Manta Model!.*
1/16/12 - Construction Complete!
*Model is being build from scratch.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby tiger01 » Sun May 23, 2010 5:21 am

Its great to hear that its going strong! I love the Shreika Model! =)
I quit my job at the helium factory last week...I refused to be spoken to in that tone!

My newest rct3 park...Marine World [Rct3]

Pubic hair eating champion of the world!

Location: Planet Earth...which I *think* is somewhere in the Universe

Postby mightbeawannabe » Sun May 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Themeparkman25, I am well aware and guessed that was the media of choice by the title when I first saw it. I really have enjoyed the progress and look forward to future progress! And Evergreen is, in my honest opinion, the best producer of styrene out there! I use it for anything and everything!

P.S. Just an afterthought, I personally would start working from the back at this point to get the easy things done so you have absolutely all of the skills necessary to navigate the difficult things. As in, built the track and supports up to like the MCBR, an easy place to work from. Do you understand?
Hi. I'm a signature. You were looking for the guy right above me. Everyone thinks he's more important...sob...he says he's Postal or something like that.

People must really like their mail.

I get wet for Manta!

Postby themeparkman25 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:24 pm

Tiger-Thank you! SheiKra is my second favorite, beaten only by Manta.

Wannabe-Evergreen has been great to work with and I recommend them to anyone and everyone. I would start working backward, but either way I go (forwards or backwards) I would immediately run in to an inline twist or corkscrew. So going forwards or backwards is going to present similar, if not identical, challenges. I plan on just keeping on going forward.

In other news, the spine, ties and supports for the second half of the pretzel loop have been completed. The only thing remaining in the pretzel is the rails, which I will likely put on tomorrow afternoon. I may post a picture, but you have to let me know if you want to see it! Otherwise, I will probably put up another section of track heading in to the inline twist before I post pictures next. So, anyone want to see a pretzel?

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby CCJared » Wed May 26, 2010 4:30 am

I want to see the pretzel!
http://www.theridefactor.com/ Give it a go and sign up!

I get wet for Manta!

Postby themeparkman25 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:29 pm

Update June 6th, 2010

As you will as soon see, the pretzel loop and the start of the inline twist have been started! Since the last update, I have completed the second half of the pretzel and the section turning into the twist. I think I can honestly say that this project is turning out 150% better than I could have imagined. The pieces look phenomenal in real life, the bankings are spot on and the rails couldn't be smoother. I wish you guys could actually see, but I literally cannot believe myself at how well this entire thing is turning out.

So, in the next week or so, expect an update of the inline twist followed by the big turn going back towards the pretzel. I would love to be able to work on the project today since I have the day off from work, but something unfortunate did come up...my heat gun blew up/decided to die. Towards the end of that last piece hung, the gun turned off and started smoking. Oops. So, I will have to go grab another gun tomorrow before any more progress can be made on the ride. No big!

I hope you guys enjoy this update and hope you can understand how well it is all turning out. No promises, but maybe when I complete the corkscrew through the pretzel I will make a video of the entire project to date. Might be more fun and just may allow that level of detail to be better captured. Without further adue, THE PRETZEL LOOP!
7.jpg
Overview of Manta to date
8.jpg
The pretzel loop! You will notice there are dimes at the top of the loop as well as the bottom.
9.jpg
These dimes are holding the rails in place to allow for them to dry.
10.jpg
This picture makes me happy!
11.jpg
Hopefully you can tell in this picture how well everything is turning out.
12.jpg
And of course, the obligatory Manta sign shot.

PreviousNext

Return to Roller Coaster Games, Models, and Other Randomness