TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

^I would imagine that for some people, paying $9 to ride their favorite ride once a year is a better value than paying for a full day at SFKK...

Edited by Jew

This is great news!

It's been known for years that Ed Hart has wanted to buy the park back, so I'm glad he finally got the opportunity to (and that he took it).

^Presumably, the park will not continue to operate under the Six Flags name or franchise, much like Darien Lake or Elitch Gardens. Thus, employees won't be cycled out, at least not to there.

Hopefully this might mean some long overdue capital for the park now that it's free of corporate (after working through the obvious expenses of getting it up and operating, and rebuilding its image as, well, open.)

Well it's good to see that they got their original head mocho back. I actually felt sorry for this park when I heard Six Flags dropped it and wanted to take all the attractions. That was a rotten deal done by Mark Shapiro, but now he is gone so the park can probably keep all it's things. Not only that, but I wish the best for future improvements.

Oyy, my only concern is the rides that actually sit on Six Flags property in the park; some the Kentucky State Fair owns and Six Flags owns (I wish I knew which parts of the park these are at). What will Six Flags do with those rides... and chang?

I think the best scenario would be if both sides agree to walk away, keeping what they have in hand and consider the matter finished. SF will have one less park to manage and got an extra B&M out of the deal. KK will still have a decent ride portfolio along with an excellent waterpark. If Ed Hart could just then negotiate with the fair board to have complete ownership of the rides/property, life would be dandy. Except for those Top Eliminator Dragsters. The state fair board can keep those.

The important thing here is that no matter what happens, the park will reopen and move forward again. That's always a good thing.

I think the best scenario would be if both sides agree to walk away, keeping what they have in hand and consider the matter finished. SF will have one less park to manage and got an extra B&M out of the deal. KK will still have a decent ride portfolio along with an excellent waterpark. If Ed Hart could just then negotiate with the fair board to have complete ownership of the rides/property, life would be dandy. Except for those Top Eliminator Dragsters. The state fair board can keep those.

The important thing here is that no matter what happens, the park will reopen and move forward again. That's always a good thing.

I have high hopes for this, with it's original owner being back. Just think of all the unique things that the park may get. With you being out of Six Flags grip, it leaves ideas open for more unique attractions. I have noticed this with parks that aren't owned by a major chain. One the thing that I think themes parks should do is have guess take a poll and see what kind of attraction people want the most. The choices could very from coasters, shows, family rides, virtual rides, water rides, and etc.

Just a random idea I had in mind.

^ I don't think too many people here are too enthusiastic about Kentucky Kingdom re-opening. I tell my friends the news and they are like "...cool." But if people would vote, they would vote for a coaster, definitely!

What I'd like to see is a Disk'O ride, I've never been on that ride; maybe build it over the former site of the rainbow ride.

^ I don't think too many people here are too enthusiastic about Kentucky Kingdom re-opening. I tell my friends the news and they are like "...cool." But if people would vote, they would vote for a coaster, definitely!

What I'd like to see is a Disk'O ride, I've never been on that ride; maybe build it over the former site of the rainbow ride.

I will agree, that the place is a little dry. I've never been there so I can't speak from a guest point of view, but from park maps and videos, I will say the park needs another coaster. You already have a B&M, so why not get a Premier. I would have said an Itamin, but there are a lot of those already, and I don't see anything unique with them unless you get a Intamin Launch. So go with a Premier launch like Joker's Jinx. If their maintained and kept properly, they run very good. Joker's Jinx is a little slow, but Flight of Fear which is the same Premier design, runs very well.

I don't think KK will be getting a coster. The paper Friday stated that the new park will be smaller wit STILL a focus on water rides! They also had a small diagram map that showed the former front side and Twisted Twins area is marked, AREA NOT TO BE USED!

Maybe this won't be as good as I thought! I think we're back to square 1 (What we were thinking in OCT 2009)

Doctor "Geagua'd" Doom

I don't think KK will be getting a coster. The paper Friday stated that the new park will be smaller wit STILL a focus on water rides! They also had a small diagram map that showed the former front side and Twisted Twins area is marked, AREA NOT TO BE USED!

Maybe this won't be as good as I thought! I think we're back to square 1 (What we were thinking in OCT 2009)

Doctor "Geagua'd" Doom

It has to be tough for the thrill seekers down there. No big rides and now the park will be smaller? Why are they doing this? You would think that the new owner would already have some sort of master plan going on and the first step would involve putting in the new coaster for the 2011 season. But I guess I was wrong.

What do you think is stopping them from doing big things at Kentucky Kingdom?

I haven't been down to the park since the year before last. As of right now Chang has been completely removed, right? Is it safe to guess that SF has/will take Deluge & the Tornado too?

Have the Twins been torn out, or are they just sitting dormant? I'm hoping because of it's age, and well traveled life that SF will just let Greezed Lightnin' stay where it is, (outside of Chang...GL was the best coaster in the park...Love that ride!). And Penguins Blizzard River turned out being one of the better water rides I'd ever rode. The soak factor was incredible on that ride. Sorry about all the questions, I'm just trying to get a better idea what may be left for the park to re-open with next year.

Most of the stuff you said was right. The best thing that KK had going for them was Chang, but now it's gone. Like I said, you guys deserve a new and improved coaster. I'm pretty they will add to the park as time goes on. I can't really see them just keeping that place a water park, when it has the potential to be much greater.

^^ TT hasn't been torn out, but it can be seen visibly rotting and rusting away from Crittenden Drive. It needs trains now however cause six flags took those. The scary part was TT was marked AREA NOT TO BE USED! Along with the entire front side of the park.

^ It is hard for thrill seekers and families cause it can be annoying to have to go to Holiday World and Kings Island and I guess Beech Bend all the time.

^^ TT hasn't been torn out, but it can be seen visibly rotting and rusting away from Crittenden Drive. It needs trains now however cause six flags took those. The scary part was TT was marked AREA NOT TO BE USED! Along with the entire front side of the park.

^ It is hard for thrill seekers and families cause it can be annoying to have to go to Holiday World and Kings Island and I guess Beech Bend all the time.

I take it those are much further away. From what I heard, a lot of the problems are occurring with the Fair Board of Directory, if I'm correct? Cause technically they own part of the park. Cause I was going to suggest that the state get involved in order to settle this matter out. There are a lot of good companies that the state could make offers, to buy that park and improve it. (Merlin Entertainment Group) would be perfect. The park has not been developed much and they are real good with theme. And it would be a good expansion, given the fact that they have not built a park in the U.S.

^Oh no, you only have three parks instead of four within a two hour drive, you have it so tough...

I thought Kentucky Kingdom was a decent park, but it could use some work, especially in the flat ride selection. Hopefully the new/old owners can fix that problem. I also don't see what's wrong with starting small. It will take time to get Kentucky Kingdom back to what it once was, so give it some time. I have a lot of confidence that the owners will be able to turn the park back to what it once was. Only then do I see a new coaster being added.

^I dunno but that convenience factor of not having to take the 1-2 hour drive is what I miss the most. If it were open, people will go just out pure laziness. I'm sure I would have went to KK instead of HW this year. I prolly would have only gone to HW once.

^^ Ed Hart (Original Owner) has taken over the park. He had a ten year plan that WORKED! The Ten year plan included all of KK rollercoasters except Greezed Lightnin'! Now he seems to be taking an opposite approach which is why im confused. In 97-98 KK almost rivaled PKI. Catering to thrillseekers with rollercoasters like Chang works around here. But after one expands, one has to keep the park clean and friendly. Adding family attractions every couple of years doesn't hurt either. (Rollerskater)(RoadRunner Express). KK had a perfect balance of new rides coming in during the 90's and I hoped with Ed Hart back in charge KK would return to that.

^I dunno but that convenience factor of not having to take the 1-2 hour drive is what I miss the most. If it were open, people will go just out pure laziness. I'm sure I would have went to KK instead of HW this year. I prolly would have only gone to HW once.

^^ Ed Hart (Original Owner) has taken over the park. He had a ten year plan that WORKED! The Ten year plan included all of KK rollercoasters except Greezed Lightnin'! Now he seems to be taking an opposite approach which is why im confused. In 97-98 KK almost rivaled PKI. Catering to thrillseekers with rollercoasters like Chang works around here. But after one expands, one has to keep the park clean and friendly. Adding family attractions every couple of years doesn't hurt either. (Rollerskater)(RoadRunner Express). KK had a perfect balance of new rides coming in during the 90's and I hoped with Ed Hart back in charge KK would return to that.

Well said. Maybe he feels that it's better to start from scratch, instead of adding on to what was currently there. Maybe he has a new idea for the park that can really put it back on the map in a 10 year plan. I couldn't see him coming back if he didn't have a plan to fix the place.

^ I sure do hope so. I also hope it caters to thrillseeker teens as well as families. A lot of thrillseeker teens did and will come to KK due to the park being right on a bus line. Ed Hart has been stating for years that he wanted control of the park back and he wished he never sold it ever since SF started killing the park IIRC!

^ I sure do hope so. I also hope it caters to thrillseeker teens as well as families. A lot of thrillseeker teens did and will come to KK due to the park being right on a bus line. Ed Hart has been stating for years that he wanted control of the park back and he wished he never sold it ever since SF started killing the park IIRC!

Any original owner wishes they had kept their park before Six Flags bought it. Look at what happened to Six Flags New Orleans. The previous Six Flags management with Dan Snyder and Mark Shapiro fought tooth to nail to get out of their land lease deal, and the judge let them have their way. That place has the saddest history. If Dan Snyder had of never got the company, Six Flags New Orleans would have been rebuilt and we would still own the other three parks that Six Flags sold back in 2006. So yes, there are a lot of owners that wish they had never had anything to do with Six Flags.

Mr. Ed will probably end up putting his hardest effort in reviving the place. At least now the park has someone with theme park experience, to manage it.