TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: WhiteWater West previews new MEGAtube Slides

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2010/04/whitewater-wests-new-megatube-slides.html

WhiteWater West, a global leader in waterpark design and attractions, has announced the launch of their new MEGAtube waterslides. They're touted as the industry's "newest, largest, and most exciting raft rides."

According to WhiteWater West, "the core feature of the patent-pending MEGAtube series is a massive 20ft / 6m diameter fully enclosed flume set at a transverse angle to the slide path. Riders drop down a steep ramp into the MEGAtube, and then oscillate up and down the inner walls, climbing up to 10ft / 3m."

Another feature the new slides have is that the "MEGAtube is large enough that another flume can actually pass through it, creating a truly sensational attraction for riders and spectators alike. Imagine an AquaLoop™ rider hurtling down a translucent SilkTek™ flume, passing through the MEGAtube just as a group of surprised raft riders goes by below…there has never been another waterslide experience like it!"

It's like the Great Coasters International "station fly-through" of the water park industry! The company currently has two designs in the series, the Python (pictured above), and a slightly smaller version named the Viper. The Viper will use 3 person rafts and stand 52 ft. high, while the Python uses 6 seater rafts and stands almost 70 ft. at its peak.

While no installations of the new slides have been announce yet, I have a feeling it won't be long until one of these opens.

2110873860_Picture29.png.e0af2a59ca4e90024b69b5245244f4b8.png

835946157_Picture30.png.15882bdda250c21b2614ee966ce2ad7b.png

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks pretty cool, but it pretty much confirms my thoughts that the water slide industry is sort of running out of ideas, and all the new stuff we are seeing is just amalgamations/variations of slide types that are already out there. In this case what we have is the equivalent of a Proslide tantrum alley, though obviously they have used a giant pipe instead of a funnel to avoid infringing any patents.

I mean, we've seen the odd completely new thing like the AquaLoop, but for the most part it seems to be 'more of the same'. Don't take this as me having a negative opinion on the slide itself, it looks like a blast, but i guess there really are only a finite number of ways you can wash people down a water slide.

This looks pretty cool, but it pretty much confirms my thoughts that the water slide industry is sort of running out of ideas, and all the new stuff we are seeing is just amalgamations/variations of slide types that are already out there. In this case what we have is the equivalent of a Proslide tantrum alley, though obviously they have used a giant pipe instead of a funnel to avoid infringing any patents.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. There are really only a certain number of new slide ideas that can be created. Even this idea has been around for quite some time, as the half-pipe water slide (which the funnel is based on) probably first appeared about 15 years ago. Now, I love funnel slides and they are probably my favorite type of water slide, but to be honest this looks like it won't be that great. The concept sounds good, but I doubt it will catch on.

How long until we get a slide that combines a funnel, bowl, and uphill water sections into one ride? That would definitely be worth riding.

Running OUT of ideas? You guys are insane! There are so many things coming out lately in the Water Park world that are really really really cool.

On a side note, mind you that the states are still in a bad economy. Water rides are less expensive to build, Water Parks are less expensive to visit. I think the market will continue to grow for Water Parks for the next few years.

I love water parks and I think all these new weird styles of rides ... IS ... AWESOMEEEEEeeeee!

Think about what we had, oh, about 10 years ago. There were speed slides, twisty slides, raft slides, racing slides, steep slides, wave pools, and lazy rivers. Sure, thats variety but they are ALL slides. Pretty straightforward. Now we have the toilet things, the funnel deal, Variations on the funnel deal, Funnel slide rides, GIANT tunnel slides, loops!, half pipes, Shanes contraption in Utah, a variety of different uphill slides, LAUNCHING slides, water parks in hotels, water parks on boats....I guess my point is I find it hard to agree with your thoughts of water parks running OUT of ideas. Seriously, what?!

Forgive my Gabba reference.

the funnel deal, Variations on the funnel deal, Funnel slide rides

Thats my point though...

A couple of years ago Proslide for instance came out with the Tantrum: http://www.proslide.com/rides_03.php

Then in the last year they came out with the Topsy Turvy (Omaka Rocker being the first installation of this) http://www.proslide.com/rides_06_c.php which is pretty much exactly the same as the Tantrum except it uses inner tubes rather than the larger 4 person rafts.

This is just one example, but to me it seems like the bulk of innovations are just existing slides with a some sort of small modification (often just a change in size), but still largely the same experience.

Another example is at IAPPA where Proslide showed off this (Two on the upper left):

http://www.westcoaster.net/updates.php?updateCD=111909&page=6

Which seems suspiciously like something we have seen before from Whitewater:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cVF2LlOx6Zc/Sb59W7DrXxI/AAAAAAAAIXc/1zbF1stkCwk/s320/upsurgealabama.jpg

As I said, we get the odd completey new thing (Eg Aqualoops, LIM powered water slides), but in the past 3 or 4 years, the rate of true innovation has slowed quite a bit, and it seems to mostly be mutations of things that are already out there.

I totally see your point.

But once again, I do think there is a TON of innovation going on right now. Sure, they are variations on what is already out there, but its like, FINALLY! They are mixing these one-trick-pony rides with actual water slides. For the LONGEST time, we just saw random twisty slides or speed slides, raft or not. THEN, we started seeing these really bizarre 'objects,' that while cool, only lasted about 5 or 10 seconds.

So now we are seeing these bizarre objects being incorporated into slides. I guess my point is, for the longest time, the pace with Water Park innovation was c-r-a-w-l-i-n-g. I mean, is this similar to the new triple funnel/waterslide thing that just came out? Sure, of course. But they are BOTH debuting the designs the same year. Whereas in the past, it would have taken YEARS to watch it evolve. They would sell the original idea into the ground all over the world before they had to come up with something new. It just seems to me that they are more unique, and we are going to see some really cool stuff in the next few years. Combinations that we are going to LOVE.

Look at that new double stack "burger" at KFC. All those items existed for years, but they finally combined them now, and let me tell you, its bliss. These perfect combinations are REALLY COOL!

Maybe I'm completely off base. Maybe I grew up going to waterparks that did not evolve at ALL as I grew older. Same park, year after year, after year. I mean, we thought Vortex was exciting. A slide where the turn got tighter and tighter and tighter. Innovative? Not really. All I saw really happen was the removal of those incredibly dangerous boogie board slides. And that was sad. Then I got older, then all the sudden waterparks went all crazy with these funnels and uphills and wacky colors and whatnot.

Does ANYBODY agree or is this a one man battle?

Chris.

• 1 month later...

http://www.amusementtoday.com/

Canada's WhiteWater West Industries Ltd., the has announced the expansion of its MEGAtube waterslide line with the introduction of the Anaconda, the largest family raft ride ever designed. The Anaconda is the latest in this series of high-capacity waterslides, joining the Viper and Python which were introduced at IAAPA 2009. Three MEGAtube waterslides have already been sold since last month’s launch.

The defining feature of the Anaconda is its massive 30-foot diameter fully enclosed MEGAtube flume, 50 percent larger than the Viper and Python flumes. Like its sister rides, the Anaconda MEGAtube is set at a 90-degree angle to the slide path. The thrills begin with a sudden drop down a steep ramp and into the MEGAtube. Once inside, the raft – carrying up to six riders – spins around and oscillates side to side, climbing as high as 15 feet up the inner walls as it winds down the waterslide. The length of the MEGAtube can vary with each unique slide path, which can comprise multiple MEGAtube sections and can also be combined with other attractions from WhiteWater West, such as the Family Raft Ride or the Family Boomerango.

The MEGAtube technology allows for flume-in-flume capabilities meaning another waterslide can actually pass through it, creating a one-of-a-kind experience for riders and spectators alike. Imagine a Master Blaster passing right through the MEGAtube, with riders hurtling by above as a raft serpentines through below. There has never been a waterslide experience offering such a thrilling and entertaining combination of attractions.

AnacondaWWW.jpg.71683f22c3799b35c77f7689bb689d4e.jpg

AnacondaWWW2.jpg.b281e9f4a33f44bf9e630e1b022677eb.jpg

I totally missed this part...

Another feature the new slides have is that the "MEGAtube is large enough that another flume can actually pass through it, creating a truly sensational attraction for riders and spectators alike. Imagine an AquaLoop™ rider hurtling down a translucent SilkTek™ flume, passing through the MEGAtube just as a group of surprised raft riders goes by below…there has never been another waterslide experience like it!"

I wanna see concept art for that!

Welcome one and all , ladies and gentlemen , boys and girls, here we have the cecum. This is a ride of anatomy , here we have where the small intestines connect to the large. This ride screams to be in a japanese body parts themed park lol.

I love the idea behind it though.

I mean, we've seen the odd completely new thing like the AquaLoop, but for the most part it seems to be 'more of the same'. Don't take this as me having a negative opinion on the slide itself, it looks like a blast, but i guess there really are only a finite number of ways you can wash people down a water slide.

I completely agree. Most new concepts these days seems to be more of a gimmick than anything. I still enjoy traditional water slides like speed slide towers and standard innertube slides far more than most bowls or these newer designs. Don't get me wrong, some newer slides like launched slides (SFKK's Deluge for example) and smaller body slide bowls (Waterworld's Spacebowl) are awesome because they add something completely different to the sliding experience. I'd like to try that AquaLoop someday though. Looking at that last concept posted, it looks like the thrill of going up on the walls like on a Proslide tornado bowl only lasts for the first part of that massive enclosed section and the rest is just like a regular innertube slide traveling flat, but maybe side to side a little more. Completely wasted high walls and cover except for the enclosing purpose. Granted these are better for marketing than traditional slides, but the experience is basically the same as a family innertube rafting slide, something of which always seems to get longer lines than everything else in parks that have them.

I completely agree. Most new concepts these days seems to be more of a gimmick than anything. I still enjoy traditional water slides like speed slide towers and standard innertube slides far more than most bowls or these newer designs. Don't get me wrong, some newer slides like launched slides (SFKK's Deluge for example) and smaller body slide bowls (Waterworld's Spacebowl) are awesome because they add something completely different to the sliding experience. I'd like to try that AquaLoop someday though. Looking at that last concept posted, it looks like the thrill of going up on the walls like on a Proslide tornado bowl only lasts for the first part of that massive enclosed section and the rest is just like a regular innertube slide traveling flat, but maybe side to side a little more. Completely wasted high walls and cover except for the enclosing purpose. Granted these are better for marketing than traditional slides, but the experience is basically the same as a family innertube rafting slide, something of which always seems to get longer lines than everything else in parks that have them.

It is because as these new slide types come out, they're bright, flashy colors with large funnels and bowls, but their underlying problem is that they have terrible throughput... 1 person/tube per slide, every 20-30 seconds? Awesome, now I'm in line for an hour... even at low attendance parks.

It almost seems as if the ride capacity in water slide manufacturers minds is the literal last thing to focus on...

Here is hoping that something brings a breath of fresh air into a somewhat stale area...

• 3 weeks later...

the anaconda one just seems like a waste of money, a proslide tornado looses its momentum even as the funnel tightens to give riders that vertical thrill, the anaconda will mke you go vertical ONCE and only ONCE, the rest of the slide will lose momentum very quickly and become an extremely boring ride that will only send you, what 10 degrees on the turns due to the diameter, a tornado costs rough guess 15 to 16 million dollars, but this will cost 25 to 30 million, be a waste and still use crappy family raft tubes instead of newer tubes that whitewater fails to make, I think Ive made my point.

Edited by crazywolf88

I think Ive made my point. get google chrome, this website doesnt like mistakes g-chrome auto spell checks so you never need to pres the spell check button or copy to word, its awesome.

Oh, the irony.

...the anaconda will mke you go vertical ONCE and only ONCE, the rest of the slide will lose momentum very quickly and become an extremely boring ride that will only send you, what 10 degrees on the turns due to the diameter, a tornado costs rough guess 15 to 16 million dollars, but this will cost 25 to 30 million, be a waste and still use crappy family raft tubes instead of newer tubes that whitewater fails to make, I think Ive made my point.

Hmm...a point? Not so much. A spectacle? There you go.

But at least your numbers are very accurate.

Anyway, I really like these concepts. In fact, to me, the tubes/tunnels look far better than Proslide's bowls, and will probably ride a lot smoother, too.

• 5 months later...

Certainly seems like it kind of gives the same ride experience as a Toronado. It is quite visually striking though. I would like to see them do a slide complex that feature multiple lifts and drops into the various bowl-esque elements.

^^Straight from a bowl into a tornado?

The Abyss seems like it could hold more people which I think is good since you aren't sitting in a hole but a whole raft. I like this idea for WhiteWater since it gives them a bigger variety of interesting water slides. Would I call this innovative, yes, because it's showing that the companies are stepping into the right direction with their slides to soon create better slides. Proslide started out with the Probowl (body bowl slide), then they came out with one that has an inner-tube friendly exit and went from there to create the Cannon Bowl, Behemoth Bowl, and Bullet Bowl.