SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 628: Ice Breaker launched coaster for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Delicious & Refreshing

Re: SeaWorld Orlando Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:32 pm

SeaWorld Orlando has sent us a press release about their latest accomplishment in the field of rescue and rehabilitation of marine animals.

Caring for SeaWorld’s 303rd endangered turtle patient this year is no small task for park aquarists. The recently rescued reptile is a three-foot, 270-pound loggerhead, found in the waters of San Carlos Bay near Ft. Meyers, Fla. on May 6.

The large male was seen floating to one side for several days. Emaciated and covered in barnacles, his condition was most likely caused by ingesting a foreign object.

Immediately upon his arrival at SeaWorld’s Animal Rehabilitation Center, aquarists began removing the barnacles and treating him with antibiotics. Veterinarians performed x-rays in search of internal injuries. The animal has begun to eat on his own as the Animal Rescue Team hopes to eventually return him back to San Carlos Bay.

SeaWorld is a global leader in the rescue and rehabilitation of endangered se turtles. This year the park has rescued 304 turtles and released 245. Now through August is loggerhead sea turtle nesting period, a critical time period for the preservation of this species.
Taking Measurements.jpg
SeaWorld aquarists Kate Grimaldi, left, and Lateesha Hektner measure an endangered loggerhead sea turtle at the park’s Animal Rescue and Rehabilitation Center.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:03 pm

http://www.seaworldparksblog.com/explore/blog/taima

We are saddened to share that Taima, a 20-year-old killer whale at SeaWorld Orlando, died today from complications associated with the birthing process.

"We are very saddened by this loss,” said Dr. Chris Dold, senior veterinarian for SeaWorld. "Although we understand that complications with pregnancy can occur here, just as they do in the wild, the loss of any animal affects all of us at SeaWorld.”

Taima had successfully given birth to three calves previously. Preliminary indications suggest that her death was caused by placenta previa, a condition in which the placenta is delivered before the calf. She was not able to deliver the stillborn calf naturally; SeaWorld’s veterinarians attempted to assist, bur her complications were too severe.

A definitive cause of death will not be known until a necropsy is completed. The comprehensive medical process will be carried out by SeaWorld veterinarians and independent pathologists, and may take up to six weeks to complete.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:04 pm

^Aww that's really sad.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby ToTheMax012 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:17 pm

This is very sad. But were they able to save the calf because I don't really understand if they did?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:21 pm

^
She was not able to deliver the stillborn calf naturally; SeaWorld’s veterinarians attempted to assist, bur her complications were too severe.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby crazydaveh » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:22 pm

It is sad. While working for SeaWorld, I had the pleasure to see two whales born. What really sucks is that the Orlando media is already playing up that captivity, Tilly being the father, and other things are to blame. In the past when a whale has passed, it was a quick mention on the news, tonight, it beat out the oil on the Florida beaches as the top story on half the stations here in Otown!

I guess if you can look on the bright side, another baby whale should be born this fall.
Beer... It helps coasters go higher and faster!

Dave

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/78611756e2677af30ecbe7f169e00926.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/32a684dcd0f18289ee3e5a31292b8f5a.jpg[/img][/url]

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby ToTheMax012 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:23 pm

^^Thank you very much, after reading again I got it. But I got it better reading just that too.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:37 pm

^^Funny you mention that. I was thinking as I was posting that I wonder with how similar whales are to us if the stillborn nature of the calf could be blamed on stress from the Tilly accident, or the fact that the trainers no longer get in the water with the animals, etc.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:31 pm

SeaWorld Orlando has sent us the link to a new video in honor of Manta's first birthday.

In honor of Manta's first birthday, lead designer Brian Morrow showcases some really cool facts about the attraction. Manta is an all-new flying roller coaster at SeaWorld Orlando that seamlessly blends up-close animal encounters with a head-first, face-down thrill ride that's sure to top the must-see lists again this summer.

I get wet for Manta!

Postby themeparkman25 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:33 pm

Reason number 4320543843 why I love Manta! Happy Birthday, too!

In a fit of shameless self promotion, check out my Manta model!

The entire project can be viewed in this thread with the latest update being here!
Follow the construction of my Manta Model!.*
1/16/12 - Construction Complete!
*Model is being build from scratch.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!