Photo TR: Holiday World 5/17/10 - 5/18/10

Added pics of red Raven trains on page 5!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Photo TR: Holiday World 5/17/10 - 5/18/10

Postby saginawhxc » Thu May 20, 2010 2:26 am

Let me just say before I even start that I LOVE Holiday World and it is by far my favorite park. If this park wasn't 8 hours from home I believe I would spend half the summer there.

I just purchased a brand new Nikon D5000 and was itching to shoot some Voyage shots with the Traditional PTC trains while they are still running. This is my first DSLR camera so I'm kind of learning as I go here.

Over the course of the two days I met some great people, hung out with a great friend and travel companion, spent a couple of hours in the water park with some fellow TPR members, and had a great overall time.

Wildebeest is amazing. I'm not a big water ride person, but this ride is a blast. The airtime is amazing. In some of the spots it feels like your entire raft is off the track for at least a second or more. So much fun. It was a little chilly though and I can't wait to come back when the weather is nicer.

It was exciting to see the Timberliners in person, even if they aren't ready yet. I can't wait to ride these babies. Even with the PTC trains though The Voyage is still my number one coaster.

On a side note my youngest son is 8 and just finally reached that magical 48" mark over the winter so I'm bringing him down here next Monday and Tuesday and am very excited at the prospect of sharing this great park with him.
01.jpg
Note the grey skies. It was cloudy, slightly breezy, and a little chilly over the course of the two days of my stay.
02.jpg
Maybe I'm just a giant kid at heart but Santa always brings a smile to my face.
03.jpg
We kicked off the coasters with Raven.
04.jpg
I'm putting the pressure on this incredible little woody to make a coaster fan out of my son next week.
05.jpg
I pray it's up to the challenge.
06.jpg
Anxious to try Wildebeest I decided to risk hypothermia to give it a go.
08.jpg
It is "The Voyage" of water rides. Simply insane. Despite not even liking water rides I left this ride soaked to the bone with an ear to ear grin.
09.jpg
Soaking wet and shivering to death I could now hear Voyage calling my name.
10.jpg
With one train ops the average wait was 15 to 20 minutes.
11.jpg
This is why I bought a new camera, so I could mask my horrible photography by catching the occasional great shot like this.
13.jpg
The guy in the Griffon shirt was from Germany. He was here in the US with a couple of friends touring parks. I told him I caught this shot and promised him it would end up in my TR. Hopefully he finds it.
15.jpg
So those are the dummies that hijacked the Timberliners!
17.jpg
I did notice that after I posted the first picture of the damage that someone went and covered it up with a tarp.
18.jpg
Here I believe we find the real culprit. It was bunny rabbits secretly employed by Intamin to sabotage the Timberliners.
19.jpg
After several rides on Voyage I made my way over to yet another amazing woody.
20.jpg
Unfortunately this is one of the very few spots of airtime to be found on the ride.
21.jpg
It really provides some great lateral g's though.
22.jpg
In fact that is really what this ride is all about.
23.jpg
It winds through some of the queues in the water park making for some very photogenic opportunities.
25.jpg
On day two my friend and I met up with another of my friends Zach and his friend Andrew. We decided to brave the chilly air and hit up some water park action.
26.jpg
After several more rides on Wildebeest we headed over and started knocking out some of their other slides.
27.jpg
Zoombabwe just felt like it went on and on forever.
28.jpg
I enjoyed Pilgrims Plunge much more this year than I did last year.
29.jpg
After a couple of hours in the water park we all decided it was time to fill our empty bellies with some of the best amusement park food to be found... but Plymouth Cafe was closed.
30.jpg
We made our way over to get us some barbecue in the fourth of July area instead, but it was also closed.
31.jpg
Zach about wet himself when he found out I had never rode Liberty Launch, so we rode this instead of eating yummy barbecue. Fun, but I was still hungry afterwards.
32.jpg
After finally finding some food at Kringle's Cafe we split ways with Zach and Andrew, and made our way over to Gobbler Getaway.
33.jpg
I'm making it the goal of my life to reach master status, but so far I can only reach apprentice.
34.jpg
Not wanting to get wet again we skipped Frightful Falls, but I snapped a few pics of it anyways.
35.jpg
Not quite two trains, but still pretty cool.
36.jpg
If I had a dollar for every time I've just called this ride "Monster" it could of payed for my season pass.
37.jpg
Raging Rapids. Brrr... once again, I'm already back in dry clothes, so maybe another day.
38.jpg
I couldn't even stomach this ride today, but maybe it was actually just the closed sign on Plymouth Cafe making me sick.
39.jpg
I'm not really sure what makes swing rides like this so fun, but I love them.
40.jpg
This must be one intense swing ride. You have several terrified girls and one guy about to hurl. They do realize that they are just swings don't they?
41.jpg
Growing up the Scrambler was always my favorite.
42.jpg
Holiday Worlds answer to Cedar Fairs Dale Earnhardt themed rides.
43.jpg
I have a sickening feeling that I am riding this two dozen times next week when I bring Joey back here as this is his favorite ride.
44.jpg
Last flat ride of the day we did was the flying scooters.
45.jpg
Back to back rides here and we made our way over to Voyage for a handful more rides before making the long trek home.
Last edited by saginawhxc on Sat May 29, 2010 8:30 pm.

Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Photo TR: Holiday World 5/17/10 - 5/18/10

Postby Andrew.NZ88 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:01 am

Wow, great TR. Me and my partner are looking forward to going to Holiday World in August. What a lovely park!

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Phideaux » Thu May 20, 2010 8:10 am

Wildebeest looks like a lot of fun. Camera took good pictures. Someday I need to get a DSLR camera. I am torn between saving for a new HD video camera or a DSLR.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:40 am

Great pictures! I'm sure you will have a blast with the youngin' I love Holiday World! Just love it, and can't wait till August to get back to it!

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby angryemobeaver » Thu May 20, 2010 8:43 am

What a great Photo TR! Some of the best photos I've ever seen taken at Holiday World. Too bad it was cloudy, if it was sunny than the photos would of been even better. I might be going to HW again this weekend, so if I do, I might have to try to find some of those angles to take some good photos. Is that all of the photos, or is there more? And could you give a more detailed comment on what you thought of Voyage, Legend, and Raven? And maybe a ride count? Thanks.
I have a hard time ranking coasters so here are just some of my favorites
|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Voyage|Shivering Timbers|Goliath SFOG|Fahrenheit|Banshee|Mystery Mine|Cornball Express|Cheetah Hunt|

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby rcg19 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:52 am

Deleted by user
Last edited by rcg19 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:25 pm.

Why is a duck when it spins?

Postby derwood » Thu May 20, 2010 10:38 am

Nice TR and Photos. Holiday World is one of my favorite parks.

I bought a Nikon D60 last year but have not dragged it into a park as I am still learning how to get the most out of the camera and lenses.

Keep up the great shots!

-daron

Postby saginawhxc » Thu May 20, 2010 11:17 am

angryemobeaver wrote:Is that all of the photos, or is there more? And could you give a more detailed comment on what you thought of Voyage, Legend, and Raven? And maybe a ride count? Thanks.

That's not even close to all the photo's. I tend to spend as much time taking photo's as I do actually riding anything. Plus since this camera is blazing fast compared to what I'm used to it is far to easy to just sit there snapping pictures of EVERYTHING. I'm gonna run out of storage space for shoots like that.

I think I rode Raven maybe a dozen times, Legend about 8 or so, 6 rides on Wildebeest, and probably put in close to 25 rides on Voyage over the two days. The only other ride I rode more than once was the flying scooters.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu May 20, 2010 11:19 am

saginawhxc wrote:I tend to spend as much time taking photo's as I do actually riding anything.

I think many of us can totally relate! ;)

Postby saginawhxc » Thu May 20, 2010 11:20 am

rcg19 wrote:I was at HW monday too and I think I saw you around, the TPR shirt gave you away! I believe we were both marathoning the Voyage at the end of the day?

Yes, anytime I am at Holiday World I am usually putting in laps on Voyage for the last hour or so.

I actually had several people comment on the TPR shirt. I even met another member named Steve(?) while in line for the Legend. Steve if that's not your name, I'm sorry. I am one of those extremely sociable people so I always love meeting new people, but have an extremely bad memory so I may not always remember your name later.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive