Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Wed May 12, 2010 6:28 pm

I had a chance to stop by the construction site today, but I only had my camera phone and I can't figure out how to enlarge these photos. Construction is coming along nicely as a half dozen rides are under construction or nearly finished, including the wild mouse.

I'm going to try to swing by again next week with a better camera.
WM hole in fence.jpg
Through a hole in the fence you can see that the Wild Mouse appears close to complete.
WM overview.jpg
From the entrance to The Cyclone you you see the top level of the Wild Mouse.
two rides.jpg
Frisbee type ride and the new parachute drop.
Frisbee.jpg
From a opening for construction trucks I got a better view of some rides, like the Frisbee
Tea.jpg
I'm a little Tea Cup short and stout.
wave swinger.jpg
This appears to be a Wave Swinger
Unique flying ride.jpg
Sorry this picture came out so bad, because I think this is the unique flying ride they are building.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby U2Rox » Wed May 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Thanks for the update Larry!!
I'm really looking forward to seeing project complete! I'll be Manhattan this July and will definitely be making a stop at Coney Island!!!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:11 pm

So is there any room for a Mega-lite in the expansion plans?

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby CardCraze » Mon May 17, 2010 1:43 pm

From Luna's Facebook:

Parks Visited in 2015: None so far!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:49 pm

^Looking good. Can't wait to make it up there again.

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Wed May 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Luna Park reveals rides for new Coney Island amusement park

Luna Park opens Memorial Day weekend with new rides and renewed promise that New York City officials hope signals the return of Coney Island to its glory days.

With 23 rides on six acres of city-owned land at the former Astroland site, Luna Park joins the legendary Cyclone wooden roller coaster, the iconic Wonder Wheel and Nathan’s famous hot dog stand in the latest effort to revitalize and reinvigorate New York City’s best known playground.

The city plans to invest $150 million on infrastructure improvements at Luna Park, which takes its name from the original amusement park that operated at Coney Island from 1903 to 1946.

Italian ride manufacturer Zamperla, which supplies theme park giants such as Disney, Universal Studios and Six Flags, promises to use Luna Park as a testing ground for its newest cutting-edge attractions.

The first phase of the project is to open on Saturday, May 29, with 19 rides, mostly of the whirl-n-hurl carnival variety.

A second phase, scheduled for 2011, will add four thrill rides, including a human slingshot and two roller coasters (a suspended flyer and a motorcycle-themed ride), according to Screamscape.

The 19 opening-day rides:

Thrill rides
* Air Race: Simulates the experience of fighter pilots, sending riders flipping upside-down and generating up to 4 Gs of force.

* Electro Spin – A rocking, spinning Disk’O ride that travels up and down a half-pipe.

* Brooklyn Flyer – A 100-foot-tall tower swing ride.

* Eclipse – A spinning pendulum swing that sends riders 50 feet up in the air.

Roller coasters
* The Tickler – Spinning coaster cars travel along a classic Wild Mouse track.

* Lunar Express - A family coaster with traditional mine car trains.

Family rides
* Beach Shack - A dipping and tilting hurricane-style spinning ride with a seaside theme.

* Coney Tower - Bounce up and down from heights of 40 feet.

* Coney Island Sound – Another tower bounce ride.

* Kite Glider – Lay down in a gondola and fly like a hang glider on a double-oscillating wave-like spinning ride.

* Lynn’s Trapeze – A classic flying carousel swing ride featuring images of historic Coney Island.

* Surf’s Up – Riders stand up on a giant spinning surfboard on an undulating half-pipe track.

* Wild River – A 40-foot-tall log flume water ride.

* Balloon Expedition – Soar up to 40 feet high in a hot air balloon gondola.

Kiddie rides
* Mermaid Parade – A pint-sized log flume with a theme based on the annual Coney Island parade.

* Circus Train - A train ride for the little ones.

* Happy Swing – A giant swing that looks like an oversized swing set.

* Tea Party – Kids control the spinning speed of their own teacup.

* Speed Boat – A themed spinning ride with boats that leap over waves.

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/luna-park-coney-isla-6932/

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Way Close to Knoebels!

Postby Josh Linn » Wed May 19, 2010 2:13 pm

larrygator wrote:I had a chance to stop by the construction site today, but I only had my camera phone and I can't figure out how to enlarge these photos. Construction is coming along nicely as a half dozen rides are under construction or nearly finished, including the wild mouse.

Depending on what phone you use, when you go into the camera there should be an option to pick what size your pictures will come out as (800x600 is the largest and I know 640x480 is another option for mine). Once you email them to yourself or put them on Facebook/Twitter they should come out that size.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed May 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Wild River will probably look a lot different in order to fit in with all the shiny new rides--I can totally understand the 6-week cleaning session. :lol:
I actually thought it was a pretty enjoyable flume. I bet it won't be as janky as it was at Fun Forest.

This sounds like it will be a cute, well-rounded, family-friendly park! I hope all goes well!
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby larrygator » Wed May 19, 2010 2:54 pm

Josh Linn wrote:
larrygator wrote:I had a chance to stop by the construction site today, but I only had my camera phone and I can't figure out how to enlarge these photos. Construction is coming along nicely as a half dozen rides are under construction or nearly finished, including the wild mouse.

Depending on what phone you use, when you go into the camera there should be an option to pick what size your pictures will come out as (800x600 is the largest and I know 640x480 is another option for mine). Once you email them to yourself or put them on Facebook/Twitter they should come out that size.

The camera phone is set to capture the image as 640x480 so I don't know what I did wrong, but like I said I'm going to try to swing by tomorrow night with a camera that I practically know how to use.

Postby larrygator » Thu May 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Unfortunately for you all, I got to the park too late tonight and it was too dark for any good pictures.

Lots more cranes on site. Work was being done erecting girders for the main entrance tonight. Quite a few of the rides looked complete. It appeared that vertical construction has started on the family coaster. I'm going to try to stop by after my softball game next Tuesday before the park opens.

The good news is that I had a 2 for 1 coupon for Nathan's hot dogs. The coupons appear on the wrapper for fundraising chocolate bars that the daughter of my best friend is selling. I'll have to buy another candy bar this weekend.
Last edited by larrygator on Thu May 20, 2010 8:00 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!