TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ and ^^So it's CF's fault that they inherited that crapfest of a coaster? Hurler being awful isn't CF's fault any more than SOB is. It was terrible long before CF came along. Carowinds' Hurler also has a trim at the bottom of the first drop, and the ride has actually gotten a bit smoother (along with extensive track work on the first turn). While it's killed most of the airtime hills after the first two, it's not as rough anymore. The GP is going to appreciate it not being as rough, and most of them wouldn't know what a trim brake was if it hit them in the face. I would even be willing to bet most of them don't even notice it running slower than usual.

As I said before, I do believe GCI is doing a rehab on Hurler at Carowinds once they are finished on Thunder Road, but I could be wrong. I don't know if anything more is going to be done with KD's Hurler. Maybe the trim is to save them on maintenance until they fully rehab it. But as I said before, CF is going to do what saves them money, and a majority of the GP won't know the difference in how it rain last year compared to how it's going to run this year.

^ and ^^So it's CF's fault that they inherited that crapfest of a coaster? Hurler being awful isn't CF's fault any more than SOB is. It was terrible long before CF came along.

No, but it's Cedar Fair's fault that they're nullifying one of the very few good things that it had. Hurler wasn't awful, as I said. I used to absolutely love how aggressive, not rough, and airtime-filled it was.

I don't lay all the blame at CF's feet by any means, however they have been at the reigns for a few seasons now and watched the ride fall apart further. They might as well just knock it down at this point, Hercules style, as far as I'm concerned.

Hurler at Carowinds finally tapped me one time on its trim after the first drop.

I don't know if it was that trim or the fact it was kind of cool Sunday, but the thing had no air at all in the front.

Normally it's trying to eject me from the front of the train every time.

It's sad that I could only ride Hurler in the back the first 2 years, and never again after that.

I think it's poor design myself, and frankly why can't they reprofile the first turn and make it 90 degrees instead? I'm thinking that would be less stress on the structure myself, but I'm probably wrong on that as I'll soon find out.

Just got an email update from KD about some upcoming events, here is a side note that might be of some interest to people living near the park.....

"Daily operation now begins Friday, May 28. With the huge popularity and demand for Intimidator 305, the Tallest and Fastest roller coaster of its type on the East Coast, Kings Dominion has added Tuesday – Thursday June 1 – 3 to the calendar (WaterWorks will not be open for the Bonus Days)."

"Don’t forget, Kings Dominion is open to the public on Fridays in May for Education days! Click HERE For a full calendar and operation times."

^^^^^ Steve. I have ridden both Thunder Road and Rebel Yell this season on both sides on both coasters and Rebel Yell in the whole is relatively smoother. The renovated sections of Thunder Road are exceptional though. Hurler and Grizzly over the last two season have received allot of TLC to make both of them GP friendly.

Grizzly had its infield trees removed just incase a train stopped on the anti-roll backs on the up-climb to the turnaround so evacuations could be done. Its the same reason that the metal wire "fence" was built on the banking turnaround of Grizzly.

Maintenance at KD's main concern has been Rebel Yell which has receive allot of inhouse work. In the long run, Thunder Road's renovation will make it practically brand new. For Now, I think Rebel Yell is better.

As for the hot-topic trim brake, like Steve said, economic and maintenance reasons.

Grizzly had its infield trees removed just incase a train stopped on the anti-roll backs on the up-climb to the turnaround so evacuations could be done.

This sounds quite odd since it has ran through the "forest" just fine since 1982.

^^^^^ Steve. I have ridden both Thunder Road and Rebel Yell this season on both sides on both coasters and Rebel Yell in the whole is relatively smoother. The renovated sections of Thunder Road are exceptional though. Hurler and Grizzly over the last two season have received allot of TLC to make both of them GP friendly.

Grizzly had its infield trees removed just incase a train stopped on the anti-roll backs on the up-climb to the turnaround so evacuations could be done. Its the same reason that the metal wire "fence" was built on the banking turnaround of Grizzly.

Maintenance at KD's main concern has been Rebel Yell which has receive allot of inhouse work. In the long run, Thunder Road's renovation will make it practically brand new. For Now, I think Rebel Yell is better.

As for the hot-topic trim brake, like Steve said, economic and maintenance reasons.

Thunder Road is going to be fantastic in a few years when GCI is done, the new sections are like butter. I'm looking forward to riding Rebel Yell again, it's been since 2006 for me. Didn't get to ride it opening weekend because I was more worried about riding the monstrous coaster behind it, but I'll be back a few more times this season to get my laps on it.

I honestly didn't even notice the removal of the trees at Grizzly, just because my visits to KD have been so infrequent that I really had nothing to base it on.

Via coastercrew's twitter: "Word on the midway at kd is trims on i305. Going to investigate."

The only time I found Rebel Yell to be a decent ride was when it ran backwards, I really could care less about the ride now.

edit: ^ beat me to it. I really hope that isn't the case. At least it was really awesome for a month... Why wouldn't they simply slow the lift down before doing something drastic like adding trims first? That's what SFGAdv did with El Toro.

^ I guess I will at least be able to say I got to ride it a few times before they made it less awesome.

Would that mean they remove brakes from the trims on the 2nd hill? I doubt the coaster could even make it to the end if not; or it would be crawling to the breaks...

Yeah, no need to get too alarmed just yet, I hope. The guy says he talked to Pagel and he could neither confirm nor deny the brakes? Why? What the hell? That sounds ridiculous.

Could trim breaks be added so quickly, in just a week? Did KD/Intamin know the breaks would be needed eventually, but wanted to let the ride get rave reviews to start the season so everyone planned a trip before making the ride less impressive? If true, this sucks.

Clint says upon first inspection he doesn't see any..."First inspection from the cheap seats, no trims"

Edited by Capitalize

Did KD/Intamin know the breaks would be needed eventually, but wanted to let the ride get rave reviews to start the season so everyone planned a trip before making the ride less impressive? If true, this sucks.

I highly doubt this is the case... since they would disappoint the what... maybe 500 people that planned a trip just to ride I:305 because of the reviews on enthusiast websites?

Seems to me that this is just another case of taming a ride because of intensity... it's been done before.

I'd like to interrupt this thread for a brief public-service announcement:

"Brakes" are what slows the coaster down.

"Breaks" is what happens to your mother's crystal vase if you drop it on a concrete floor.

I'm sorry, but this particular spelling error drives me nuts (like using "loose" when you mean "lose"). I'm not directing this at any particular person, but this error is committed frequently here and on other sites.

You may now resume your discussion. Thank you.

That sucks about the trims if it is true, but oh well, it is what it is...what can you do. I'll be riding it in August, but I look at it this way: I rode El Toro for the first time after they slowed down the lift, and it was still a DAMN GOOD ride. I'm hoping the same for I305. You have to keep that "glass half-full" mentality.

That sucks about the trims if it is true, but oh well, it is what it is...what can you do. I'll be riding it in August, but I look at it this way: I rode El Toro for the first time after they slowed down the lift, and it was still a DAMN GOOD ride. I'm hoping the same for I305. You have to keep that "glass half-full" mentality.

I rode before and after the change and felt no difference what-so-ever on El Toro. It seemed just as fast and out of control and with just as insane airtime as before. In this case the brake screws up the entire drop apparently. The difference between a trim on a drop and simply slowing the lift I think will make a big difference. Oh well.

I rode before and after the change and felt no difference what-so-ever on El Toro. It seemed just as fast and out of control and with just as insane airtime as before. In this case the brake screws up the entire drop apparently. The difference between a trim on a drop and simply slowing the lift I think will make a big difference. Oh well.

Like I said, it is what it is, and there isn't anything we can do anyway.

I'd like to interrupt this thread for a brief public-service announcement:

"Brakes" are what slows the coaster down.

"Breaks" is what happens to your mother's crystal vase if you drop it on a concrete floor.

I'm sorry, but this particular spelling error drives me nuts (like using "loose" when you mean "lose"). I'm not directing this at any particular person, but this error is committed frequently here and on other sites.

You may now resume your discussion. Thank you.

Thank YOU Chuck! This has always annoyed me as well along with to,too,& two and their, there and they're

As for the recent news, I am gonna hold judgement till riding again. To tell you the truth it it keeps the airtime and ditches the Blackout then I am all for it.

JEFF