Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 969 - Lone Star Revolution Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Five babies drowned in a fire

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Sat May 01, 2010 9:38 pm

^Trains will be much different though, as will the rate of acceleration and speed.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby EastCoastn07 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:21 pm

delan wrote:
Skycoastin Steve wrote:^If I had to speculate, I would say it wouldn't be that loud. At least it doesn't look like it would be that loud.

Superman at Magic Mountain also has I-beam track. Its the loudest coaster I have come across..

If I'm not mistaken, I think the LSM motors have a lot to do with the noise S:TE makes.

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Sun May 02, 2010 3:06 am

What makes me most excited about this news, is what other coasters will receive this treatment in the future... Can you imagine a rideable Ghostider??

No conversation is safe around me!

Postby Columbia » Sun May 02, 2010 8:36 am

ECZenith wrote:What makes me most excited about this news, is what other coasters will receive this treatment in the future... Can you imagine a rideable Ghostider??

I don't need to imagine it - I rode it! Way back in late 1999...It truly was, "the Best in the West" by a long shot! You know a coaster is good when your family (who wasn't really into rides) said it was one of the best they've ever been on.

Good lord, that was over a decade ago...I'm getting old!

So the term "Super Hybrid" is being attached to this new style of track - will this new genre of coaster name stick? If it works and is well received, this could be considered a "revolutionary" step forward in coaster design.

On a quick side note / tangent, how do I make my Ford Escape Hybrid into a "Super Hybrid?" ;)
TPR's unofficial resident wordsmith

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby PortugePunk » Sun May 02, 2010 11:22 pm

This thing is gonna be so weird.. can't wait to see how it actually goes. Couldn't be any worse than it was.. right??

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Sun May 02, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm dying to see how this comes out because I think there might a few more of these refurbs if it goes well, or they might be happening anyway. Prime candidates - Rattler, SOB, Mean Streak, Ghostrider to name a few.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Houston Thrills » Fri May 07, 2010 8:12 pm

The station seems to have been prepped for track, and 2 more rails (one on each side) have been added to the lift. More of the track/structure around the MCBR area has come down as well.

In other park news, last week, the park opened a new drink stand, added on-ride photos to Mr. Freeze, brought back the M&M stairs on Titan's exit, and gave Flashback's train a rainbow Stride Gum wrap. This week, Shock Wave received a black/bright green Axe Twist ad wrap on one of its trains.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby AndrewRnR » Fri May 07, 2010 11:03 pm

downunder wrote:I'm dying to see how this comes out because I think there might a few more of these refurbs if it goes well, or they might be happening anyway. Prime candidates - Rattler, SOB, Mean Streak, Ghostrider to name a few.

While I agree those coasters are the most enjoyable I wouldn't like if they were given steel track like the Texas Giant. I would much rather see them retracked or new trains or whatever just not steel track that kinda ruins the whole wooden coaster thing for me.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Zingoman » Wed May 12, 2010 9:16 am

Who want's a photo update?! Well here are some juicy morsels of progress for you all to drool on! Enjoy!
IMG_0781.jpg
The station a brake run have received the new steel ledgers
IMG_0793.jpg
The midcourse has been removed and a good 20 feet or so of the structural height has been taken down. All the track is now gone from this end of the ride besides the finale down low
BrakeLedgers.jpg
It's tough to tell here, (sorry, this picture really sucks) but the entire brake run will be level and the new ledgers are really low entering the brake shed. The ledgers are behind the board I circled here. Will the roof be lowered to compensate? I kind of hope not actually. Haha
IMG_0625.jpg
And the new bits are finally getting put on again!
IMG_0623.jpg
Although careful examination still reveals they they are being very hesitant to bolt things together so far.
IMG_0782.jpg
Then they added yet another pair of rails higher up. these are just being held on by clamps for now. By the way, all of this is only 5 segments of track so far. The pieces are quite long!
11TexasGiantrefurbdemoMay9.png
Just WOW. This is really moving along!
IMG_0633.jpg
On the side notes mentioned by HoustonThrills:Here is Flashback's Stride wrap (its looks WAAAAAY better on Boomerang in San Antonio btw)
IMG_0802.jpg
And I have to admit, I'm not opposed to this. Shockwave's trains were kind of bland.
IMG_0803.jpg
I say it's a good look

That's all for now
Last edited by gisco on Wed May 12, 2010 10:56 am.
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby angryemobeaver » Wed May 12, 2010 12:35 pm

Glad to see some more progress. I wander if SF will have one of those animations showing the new layout, or if we will just have to wait for it to be re-built? Sucks about Shockwave (oh well about Boomerang though).
I have a hard time ranking coasters so here are just some of my favorites
|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Voyage|Shivering Timbers|Goliath SFOG|Fahrenheit|Banshee|Mystery Mine|Cornball Express|Cheetah Hunt|

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!